By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If KINECT sucks at tracking then why do people keep buying it!?

Title says it, If kinect sucks so badly at tracking... As has been largely talked about from IGN in reference to the new star wars kinect, THEN WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING IT! I have heard from the beginning that kinect has great potential but that it is not that great as of yet because of its limitations. I have heard reports that in many respects MOVE is better at tracking movements. And now we have a game STAR WARS KINECT, that i honestly thought about buying ( I have both consoles), that got terrible reviews. I read a lot reviews including user feedback on this site and man, apparently 200+ people working on a game doesnt mean anything because kinect could not track anything. Thoughts ?

Around the Network

IGN did...

While I make no claim that Kinect sucks at tracking your movements people buying it is not proof of that one way or another. I think it's fairly established that at least the first Just Dance game was absolutely terrible at tracking your movements, but people still bought it in droves. If people are having fun with it they don't really seem to care if what they're doing directly correlates to their performance on the screen.

Why did people keep buying the Wii when it had no "good" games?
It's the same reason as that.

Because the tracking is good enough and the games are fun, would be my guess.

Around the Network

What Tor said basically.

People buying or not buying Kinect does not prove or disprove anything about it's tech abilities.

Im not sure but I think most of the weekly sales are the 360 Kinect bundles, not individual Kinects. I suppose people see value and buy it.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Tracking can work very well on Kinect. But not all games are getting it right.
Gunstringer, Kinect Sports, Your Shape, Dance Central etc. do a fantastic job.

I mean pod racing in Star Wars Kinect is supposed to work almost flawlessly.

Its fun as for sales its definately moved towards peak selling periods so slow sales now really does not say a lot.

Of course Kinect also integrates into many other things on the Xbox such as the interface and its apps such as BBC iPlayer and Netflix to name two good examples.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

People just like to have fun with it and mostly don't notice the inaccuracies of the device. Even when I do notice hiccups while playing, it isn't that big of a deal and I still manage to have fun. Basically what Tor said.