By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Report: PS4 specs to go "toe-to-toe" with the Xbox 720, and rumored PS4 screenshot.

Interesting that they "might" have the exact same gpu. So I guess that 7000 gpu wouldn't actually be a Southern Islands gpu afterall.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5291/amd-quietly-releases-the-oemonly-radeon-hd-7670-turks-rides-again

Strange to think that one of my video cards (I have two of them) from early last year (AMD 6950 unlocked to 6970) handily blows away the 6670/7670 that might be in the next gen consoles.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

Nextgen with a GPU at the level of only a Radeon 7670 would be awful and only about 4 times faster than the X360/PS3.

If that were true I would go back to PC gaming.

smbu2000 said:

Interesting that they "might" have the exact same gpu. So I guess that 7000 gpu wouldn't actually be a Southern Islands gpu afterall.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5291/amd-quietly-releases-the-oemonly-radeon-hd-7670-turks-rides-again

Strange to think that one of my video cards (I have two of them) from early last year (AMD 6950 unlocked to 6970) handily blows away the 6670/7670 that might be in the next gen consoles.

HD 7670 isn't Southern Islands... it's just the HD 6670 rebranded.

By God the Rumors!

i find hard to believe that PS4 or xbox720 will have a low end GPU... PS3 and Xbox360 GPUs were based in high end GPUs... middle end or even high end is a lot more believable...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

Meh. I'm not even bothered to comment on this rumor. Too early to say anything.

smbu2000 said:

Even my +2 years old 5850 may blow it!

@Basil_ I thought the same

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

ethomaz said:

There are some misc in the article...

• The card is OpenGL 4.1 compatible (PS4 will use it instead DirectX 11)
  • HD 7670 and HD 6670 specs (same hardware, just other name): 
    • 800 MHz engine clock
    • 512MB-1GB GDDR5 memory
    • 1000 MHz memory clock (4.0 Gbps GDDR5)
    • 64 GB/s memory bandwidth
    • 768 GFLOPS Single Precision compute power
    • 480 Stream Processing Units
    • 24 Texture Units
    • 32 Z/Stencil ROP Units
    • 8 Color ROP Units

To make  comparsion with the X360/PS3 GPU I just can say the the X360's Xenos have 48 Stream Processing Units clocked at 500Mhz... so these GPU are at least 10x more powerful (there are another variables of course).

48 5D units, so 240 "shaders" in total. Nowhere near 10x more powerful.

Hope its all lies. Maybe I go back to PC only if those "Next Gen" Gpus really find their way into PS4/720

The GTX 680 is not really what Nvidia had in mind its just a performance solution because the big brother isnt ready yet. The BIG Kepler the GTX 780 comes this year. So maybe when next gen starts. The GTX 880 will be the new enthusiast card. The gap would be rediculously high at the beginning of next gen. In 10 years when next gen is going to end PCs will be an entirely different class of gaming Hardware.

Supposedly the CPU also has a built in GPU for the PS4. So essentially gives the PS4 an optional Hybrid Crossfire setup. Pretty good specs if you ask me. 8 core CPU with built in GPU and a decent dedicated GPU. Should be interesting if true.

Kynes said:
ethomaz said:

There are some misc in the article...

• The card is OpenGL 4.1 compatible (PS4 will use it instead DirectX 11)
  • HD 7670 and HD 6670 specs (same hardware, just other name): 
    • 800 MHz engine clock
    • 512MB-1GB GDDR5 memory
    • 1000 MHz memory clock (4.0 Gbps GDDR5)
    • 64 GB/s memory bandwidth
    • 768 GFLOPS Single Precision compute power
    • 480 Stream Processing Units
    • 24 Texture Units
    • 32 Z/Stencil ROP Units
    • 8 Color ROP Units

To make  comparsion with the X360/PS3 GPU I just can say the the X360's Xenos have 48 Stream Processing Units clocked at 500Mhz... so these GPU are at least 10x more powerful (there are another variables of course).

48 5D units, so 240 "shaders" in total. Nowhere near 10x more powerful.

Ohhhhhh... it's true... so 2x more "shaders" @ 800Mhz... ~3.2x more powerful???