By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 vs Halo Reach (total lifetime sales)

Will Gran Turismo 5 outsell Halo Reach (lifetime)?

Yes 139 47.60%

No 153 52.40%

Total:292

I'm bringing this back!

The premier PS3 exclusive game vs the premier Xbox360 exclusive game

Right now, GT5 has sold 7.36 million, and Halo Reach has sold 8.89 million.  Gran Turismo 5 is still selling somewhat well and outselling Halo Reach every week.  GT5 can have another big boost in sales during the next christmas season and some minor sale boosts with few more DLCs.

Around the Network

You'd do better if you included charts and what not

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Don't think so. The XL edition of the game already came out so don't see any big boost happening.
Halo Reach will get Christmas boost as well you know.

Perhaps, but it's not like Halo 4 isn't going to outsell both of them.

It depends whether GT5 is going to be bundled next christmas, or maybe with a new slim revision.

Around the Network

it seems pretty clear that, short of massive downward adjustments for halo reach or sony bundling GT5 with every single ps3 next christmas, GT5 will not pass it. It could close the gap a bit. Digital Copies of Halo Reach have been pretty heavily bundled over the last holidays and now with the xbox live deal, so plenty of new 360 owners are getting their obligatory halo game for free which no doubt has hurt sales recently and its not gaining anything "vgchartzwise" from these bundles since they are digital. Halo 4 will further damage reach's legs when it releases these holidays, but next gen consoles are probably coming in 2013, and GT6 won't take as long to come out as GT5 did. 

kowenicki said:
Why aren't you comparing the biggest selling PS3 exclusive to the biggest selling 360 exclusive? i.e. GT5 v Halo3

The recent shipments for GT5 show that it is crunching gears at the moment and in danger of stalling... unless it gets huge bundling its not getting to the dizzy heights of halo.

Anyway... Reach is way above 10m already... this site just doesn't want to count that... a bundled game is a bundled game.

The OP tailors his argument to make it fair so Gran Turismo 5 has a chance of pulling it off.

So it is Gran Turismo 5 versus Halo Reach instead of Halo 3. 

1.5 millin gap is still too much to pull back for game that has been out for 18 months and the generation ending within two years.

Answer: no.

Extra answer: The comparison is invalid due to the inability to count bundled and digital sales, so an extra: no.

jamesmarkus87 said:
Perhaps, but it's not like Halo 4 isn't going to outsell both of them.

This. Since it's a prequel I don't think too many expected Halo: Reach to outsell Halo 3.

(One could argue though that Call of Duty stealing Halo's marketshare is the main reason to Reach's sales. And then there's the digital sales...)

Add another 2 million sales for Halo: Reach due to bundles VGC did not count and you might get your answer.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...