By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jeff Gerstmann was indeed fired from Gamespot because of a poor score

MEGAMERS

Jeff Gerstmann, a former editor of Gamespot, today revealed the circumstances behind his termination from the gaming website five years ago. It was rumored at that time that his departure was the result of his negative review of Kane & Lynch, with the game’s publisher twisting the company’s arm tight enough to ensure that Gerstmann never wrote for the website ever again.

Today, Gerstmann confirmed that was indeed why he was fired from the his editorial position.

The disclosure comes as part of a recent deal that has seen Gerstmann’s Giant Bomb purchased by CBS Interactive, the parent company of his former employer, Gamespot. In a slightly tense and awkward interview with Gamespot’s John Davison, Gerstmann detailed the infamous incident.

He said that he was “called into a room” by the CBS management and was “terminated” because he “couldn’t be trusted” as the editorial director due to his poor review of Eidos’ third-person shooter.

Gerstmann also shared other such instances where his team at Gamespot was pressurized into producing a favorable review. He gave an example of how Sony threatened to pull advertisement money from the website if its action-platformer Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction received anything other than a near perfect score. Gamespot eventually gave it a 7.5.

http://tbreak.com/megamers/55379/news/jeff-gerstmann-was-indeed-fired-from-gamespot-because-of-a-poor-score/

Around the Network

Can't wait for Kane & Lynch 3.

Makes you wonder just how many games have this done... Especially when big companies are trying to buy high scores.

Shame on you, Sony.

In other news, IGNs Mass Effect 3 review must have cost a bomb.

That's some damn fine intimidation work Sony

That's just how much you should trust reviews.

Around the Network

It had to be Sony!
But to be fair, it was still the Evil Sony era, not this Peace and Love Sony we see today.

Maybe they changed.

Not at all suprised.

I think this speaks volumes about the review process.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

This is why I go with METACRITIC.

Because even if said reviewer lies (Gamespot), once you get 50 - 100 different reviews, once they're averaged up, the liars are basically made trivial.

METACRITIC is awesome for cases like this. :)

Metacritic is junk - what counts in a (real) review is the text (the _full_ text), not the number at the end