By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Diablo III release date: May 15

Color me excited! Such a long wait... I don't think I've waited this long for anything in my life before! Now, let's just hope Blizzard haven't gone and fucked it all up.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
"Launched at the end of 1996, the original Diablo helped popularize the action role-playing-game genre, earning widespread critical and commercial success. The game's sequel, Diablo II, shipped in 2000 to similar acclaim, winning several Game of the Year awards and at the time becoming the fastest-selling computer game ever. Diablo II's award-winning expansion set, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction™, debuted in 2001, becoming Blizzard Entertainment's sixth-consecutive #1-selling game. To date, the franchise has sold more than 18.5 million copies worldwide.* Diablo's gothic horror theme has also inspired a number of licensed products, including novels and action figures."

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2443828

You should try a bit harder, don't you think?

Now this is 2008 press release. It's been four years, and during that time has been a NPD PC top ten seller in 2010.
etc etc etc. The announcement of diablo 3 only increased sales of diablo 2.

Why, that was the number I was trusting the most from you. The only problem with this number is that since you said the batlle chest was in NPD top 5, each copy sold of it probably counts as 3 in this 18.5 number, since it contains (or contained until recently) Diablo, Diablo 2 and Lord od Destruction. Not all Diablos 2.

theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:

What is your problem with responding my separate arguments? I even give each of them separate paragraphs! Anyway, the whole point I'm discussing is this (your post, I don't even know their discussion):

"Really the only comparison nintendo has is ocarina, and that's gone through three releases, and two developments, and one complete refresh, and half the sales."

And that's not true. Fact. Mario (others too) do it too.

Comparison because it's a game during the same year as diablo 2.

One game vs one game.

I didn't realize you were talking franchises until later on in the argument when you went on to say supermario alstars counts for all the mario games individually. To be honest, you didn't even mention the franchise until your fourth post, the previous ones talking about a specific game. Not my fault. Looked like you were just pushing back the goal posts.

Even 1 vs 1 (which is unfair, given Diablo 2 is sold with it's prequel and expansion), Mario has games that outsell diablo when it comes to post sales. Mario 3 is one example.

And Zelda is from 98, and diablo 2 is from 2000 - both respectively GOTY for me.

It's not unfair because mario allstars has seen 3 releases. This is exactly why I pointed all of that out! It's by far unfair that mario all stars is coutned on three systems and bundling, and is 4 games, and sometimes 5 (the ones with super mario world).

Diablo was being sold on the PC. Like I said, it would be released many many times if not for that - I mentioned the resolution change, but there were many other changes.

VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
"Launched at the end of 1996, the original Diablo helped popularize the action role-playing-game genre, earning widespread critical and commercial success. The game's sequel, Diablo II, shipped in 2000 to similar acclaim, winning several Game of the Year awards and at the time becoming the fastest-selling computer game ever. Diablo II's award-winning expansion set, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction™, debuted in 2001, becoming Blizzard Entertainment's sixth-consecutive #1-selling game. To date, the franchise has sold more than 18.5 million copies worldwide.* Diablo's gothic horror theme has also inspired a number of licensed products, including novels and action figures."

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2443828

You should try a bit harder, don't you think?

Now this is 2008 press release. It's been four years, and during that time has been a NPD PC top ten seller in 2010.
etc etc etc. The announcement of diablo 3 only increased sales of diablo 2.

Why, that was the number I was trusting the most from you. The only problem with this number is that since you said the batlle chest was in NPD top 5, each copy sold of it probably counts as 3 in this 18.5 number, since it contains (or contained until recently) Diablo, Diablo 2 and Lord od Destruction. Not all Diablos 2.

That is your decision to make that assumption.

And no it is a completely separate SKU. the diablo 2 and expansion and diablo 1 in the battlechest do not even have SKUs. NPD tracks SKUs. But if you want to think it's the way you say it is, I'm not going to argue over it.

Also, it's fair to allow diablo 1 and diablo 2 + lord of destruction vs super mario all stars, which is on wii, snes bundled, and gba, and contains 4 games.

So Diablo, 3 games, vs all-stars 4 games (and sometimes 5)

VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:

What is your problem with responding my separate arguments? I even give each of them separate paragraphs! Anyway, the whole point I'm discussing is this (your post, I don't even know their discussion):

"Really the only comparison nintendo has is ocarina, and that's gone through three releases, and two developments, and one complete refresh, and half the sales."

One game vs one game.

I didn't realize you were talking franchises until later on in the argument when you went on to say supermario alstars counts for all the mario games individually. To be honest, you didn't even mention the franchise until your fourth post, the previous ones talking about a specific game. Not my fault. Looked like you were just pushing back the goal posts.

Even 1 vs 1 (which is unfair, given Diablo 2 is sold with it's prequel and expansion), Mario has games that outsell diablo when it comes to post sales. Mario 3 is one example.

And Zelda is from 98, and diablo 2 is from 2000 - both respectively GOTY for me.

It's not unfair because mario allstars has seen 3 releases. This is exactly why I pointed all of that out! It's by far unfair that mario all stars is coutned on three systems and bundling, and is 4 games, and sometimes 5 (the ones with super mario world).

Diablo was being sold on the PC. Like I said, it would be released many many times if not for that - I mentioned the resolution change, but there were many other changes.

So your argument is that Diablo would have sold much much more had they broken up the patches into new SKUs?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:

One game vs one game.

So your argument is that Diablo would have sold much much more had they broken up the patches into new SKUs?

No, but that your argument about diablo being a single release game, while true, is only possible since it's a PC game. Diablo 2 800x600 would be a All Star Diablo, not doubt about, if it were on consoles. So, with that, we can't detract Mario for having rereleases.

VicViper said:

No, but that your argument about diablo being a single release game, while true, is only possible since it's a PC game. Diablo 2 800x600 would be a All Star Diablo, not doubt about, if it were on consoles. So, with that, we can't detract Mario for having rereleases.

I'm not. I'm simply making a fair comparison.

Super mario all-stars was completely reworked all three times (and even had a couple editions with super mario world as well). Each time, they were reprogrammed. (costs $ for them to redo, almost like a completely new game for 4-5 games)

Diablo has a sequel and an expansion. These entries are likely two complete games, and then half of one. Then they just need to simply up the amount shown on screen (not a difficult task). (Costs money to develop the new games, just need to add artwork for the expansion)

Advantage, Blizzard. While I don't know the cost of production, economically, the only development that was done was for each separate game.

Date of release:

mario all stars 1993

diablo 1996

advantage: mario, 3 more years on the market

number of games:

Mario all stars: 4-5

diablo: 2-3

advantage mario: more games

number of rereleases and collectors editions:

all stars: 2

diablo: 1

advantage mario

I think it's a fair comparison, despite each side's advantages and disadvantages.

All stars having so many releases and 25th anniversary edition, etc, means more opportunities to sell the game again, but may cost more in development.
Diablo has a larger console userbase, and the console allows for continuous updates which helps keeps the game sales up, but costs them in sales of not being able to resell the game again.

If we were to go and look at mario games in general, the playing field would be so lopsided as to not having a point. It's not only that there are already 4-5 games within allstars, but that they get re-releases on every console they make, and goes back nearly 15 years before diablo. This is not to mention that there is excessive bundling with mario. I'd say the best comparison for Mario would be NSMBWii compared to diablo 2, to which I'd say diablo 3 has a fair chance at selling the same amount.

theprof00 said:
VicViper said:

I'm not. I'm simply making a fair comparison.

Super mario all-stars was completely reworked all three times (and even had a couple editions with super mario world as well). Each time, they were reprogrammed. (costs $ for them to redo, almost like a completely new game for 4-5 games)

Diablo has a sequel and an expansion. These entries are likely two complete games, and then half of one. Then they just need to simply up the amount shown on screen (not a difficult task). (Costs money to develop the new games, just need to add artwork for the expansion)

Advantage, Blizzard. While I don't know the cost of production, economically, the only development that was done was for each separate game.

Date of release:

mario all stars 1993

diablo 1996

advantage: mario, 3 more years on the market

number of games:

Mario all stars: 4-5

diablo: 2-3

advantage mario: more games

number of rereleases and collectors editions:

all stars: 2

diablo: 1

advantage mario

I think it's a fair comparison, despite each side's advantages and disadvantages.

All stars having so many releases and 25th anniversary edition, etc, means more opportunities to sell the game again, but may cost more in development.
Diablo has a larger console userbase, and the console allows for continuous updates which helps keeps the game sales up, but costs them in sales of not being able to resell the game again.

If we were to go and look at mario games in general, the playing field would be so lopsided as to not having a point. It's not only that there are already 4-5 games within allstars, but that they get re-releases on every console they make, and goes back nearly 15 years before diablo. This is not to mention that there is excessive bundling with mario. I'd say the best comparison for Mario would be NSMBWii compared to diablo 2, to which I'd say diablo 3 has a fair chance at selling the same amount.

Ok, let's agree to disagree... I really don't know exactly what we're talking about anymore... sorry, but discussing on the internet is always tiresome and you made me brake my rule of "don't discuss on the internet because it's always tiresome". I came here to say Diablo 3 is going to be GOTY and let's leave it like that.

You informed me of some things and opened my mind to some other things, so I thank you. I just hope I informed you of another things and opened you mind to yet another things.

pezus said:
VicViper said:

Ok, let's agree to disagree... I really don't know exactly what we're talking about anymore... sorry, but discussing on the internet is always tiresome and you made me brake my rule of "don't discuss on the internet because it's always tiresome". I came here to say Diablo 3 is going to be GOTY and let's leave it like that.

You informed me of some things and opened my mind to some other things, so I thank you. I just hope I informed you of another things and opened you mind to yet another things.

Lol I can't believe this huge-ass discussion began because I said Blizzard make games that sell for decades (and then seth added his touch of course).

You REALLY are to blame for everything it seems!

Signature goes here!

pezus said:
VicViper said:

Lol I can't believe this huge-ass discussion began because I said Blizzard make games that sell for decades (and then seth added his touch of course).

Hey, at least we made this thread one of the most popular threads (even though the news should have made it pretty popular on it's own).  However, I don't think the thread would have as many replies if it wasn't for the entire conversation sparked by you.  I believe you deserve a VGC badge for it.  Conversation starter - with a picture of Jessica Simpson watching nature program asking the question about tuna being the chicken of the sea.  As  you can see earlier after I got back from pre-ordering Kid Icarus that I tried to take all the credit for starting the conversation.  I'm such a glory hog aren't I?