By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The return of Master Chief will have Halo competing with the big boys once again, says Microsoft

Tagged games:

sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
Attoyou said:
"But if you look at platform exclusives, nothing is bigger than Halo.”

Nintendo says hi

Nailed it. I don't understand why they would even make that statement. If it was nothing is bigger than halo on the 360, then yeah totally.

Obviously MS meant towards Sony/PS3 since it is the 360s only direct competitor.

Well, I read platform exclusive and the Wii is a platform and it has exclusives which have sold much more than halo. Also, Gran turismo (I know, apples to oranges) is a bigger franchise than Halo, as far as I'm concerned but that's another topic for another time.

Halo Reach outsold GT5.....without including its downloadable bundle sales last year. But even then id factor Time into this comparison. This gen weve seen Halo 3,ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach. On the otherside weve only seen GT5 and GT PSP. Total Halo sales this gen >>>>> total GT sales this gen. It isn't enough these days to be a one hit wonder, you need consistency to be fresh in the minds of the gamer

Did you just refer to GT5 as a "one hit wonder"? 

Also, consistancy doesn't always work, especially on every year releases (with the exception of COD and the sheeple playing it every year.) If you ask me a top tier franchise  is one which games can't be replace within the next year. Its games withstand the test of time and still be relevant. Sure, franchises grow with the more exposure they get but I don't like having my game replaced just one year later and have it lose its value cause you know, you got the "new" one out the next year, ESPECIALLY if said game has multiplayer and all the people which I played with would have moved on. 

I commend Halo for not being milked, that's something that happens far too often with these juggernauts (See Guitar Hero and AC)

Lastly, I didn't word it properly but where you bolded me, I meant that as my opinion, hence the "as far as I'm concerned" but to avoid any further animosity, I personally believe that GT is a bigger franchise than Halo.

one hot wonder meaning one real game this whole gen. I dont consider Prologue a second game because well......its a prologue to GT5. 

I agree with you that truly great games cant be replaced within the same year. But GT5 is mostly accepted as falling below the bar it was expected to meet and 5.5 years? cmon, thats an insult to Sonys supposed flagship franchise.

Flagships should have 3 year dev times. Halo 3, Reach, and now Halo 4. 4's a 2 year dev cycle after Reach but then again it was overlapped with Bungie making Reach so its still a 3 year made game. Halo Wars, ODST, and Halo CEA are entertaining bonuses to keep the fans occupied in the meantime. 

If your counting PS1 and PS2 GT sales when saying its still a bigger franchise, then I concede that. But this gen, its long dev cycles and being a victim of the bar set by the predecessors, its lost some steam where as Halo is getting bigger. Hell if you factor in just this gen Halo allready took the crown of biggest exclusive between MS and Sony. 

I'm talking about the entire franchise as a whole. Every game, accomplishment,  whole shebangabang.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
Attoyou said:

Nintendo says hi

Nailed it. I don't understand why they would even make that statement. If it was nothing is bigger than halo on the 360, then yeah totally.

Obviously MS meant towards Sony/PS3 since it is the 360s only direct competitor.

Well, I read platform exclusive and the Wii is a platform and it has exclusives which have sold much more than halo. Also, Gran turismo (I know, apples to oranges) is a bigger franchise than Halo, as far as I'm concerned but that's another topic for another time.

Halo Reach outsold GT5.....without including its downloadable bundle sales last year. But even then id factor Time into this comparison. This gen weve seen Halo 3,ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach. On the otherside weve only seen GT5 and GT PSP. Total Halo sales this gen >>>>> total GT sales this gen. It isn't enough these days to be a one hit wonder, you need consistency to be fresh in the minds of the gamer. 

This Microsoft guy mentioned Grand Theft Auto which itself is also a "one hit wonder" this gen.
The guy wasn't talking current-gen only dude.

Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
Attoyou said:

Nintendo says hi

Halo Reach outsold GT5.....without including its downloadable bundle sales last year. But even then id factor Time into this comparison. This gen weve seen Halo 3,ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach. On the otherside weve only seen GT5 and GT PSP. Total Halo sales this gen >>>>> total GT sales this gen. It isn't enough these days to be a one hit wonder, you need consistency to be fresh in the minds of the gamer

Did you just refer to GT5 as a "one hit wonder"? 

Also, consistancy doesn't always work, especially on every year releases (with the exception of COD and the sheeple playing it every year.) If you ask me a top tier franchise  is one which games can't be replace within the next year. Its games withstand the test of time and still be relevant. Sure, franchises grow with the more exposure they get but I don't like having my game replaced just one year later and have it lose its value cause you know, you got the "new" one out the next year, ESPECIALLY if said game has multiplayer and all the people which I played with would have moved on. 

I commend Halo for not being milked, that's something that happens far too often with these juggernauts (See Guitar Hero and AC)

Lastly, I didn't word it properly but where you bolded me, I meant that as my opinion, hence the "as far as I'm concerned" but to avoid any further animosity, I personally believe that GT is a bigger franchise than Halo.

What's your definition of "milked"?

Halo is now a yearly release and for me, that is considered "milked".

Halo Wars
Halo 3: ODST

Halo Reach

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary 

Now, I'm not saying milked = bad games. I enjoy COD probably a little more than I should. Yearly releases are necessary to keep the word of mouth of these franchises alive and to keep people interested.

VGKing said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Areym said:
Attoyou said:

Nintendo says hi

Halo Reach outsold GT5.....without including its downloadable bundle sales last year. But even then id factor Time into this comparison. This gen weve seen Halo 3,ODST, Halo Wars, and Halo Reach. On the otherside weve only seen GT5 and GT PSP. Total Halo sales this gen >>>>> total GT sales this gen. It isn't enough these days to be a one hit wonder, you need consistency to be fresh in the minds of the gamer. 

This Microsoft guy mentioned Grand Theft Auto which itself is also a "one hit wonder" this gen.
The guy wasn't talking current-gen only dude.

Fair enough. Well with Master Chief and hopefully a ridiculous ad campaign MS will make it so

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.