By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - John Carter - a great movie.

I just watched John Carter - with not much anticipation, but was curious.

Watched the 3d version, and it was full of win.  Awesome movie.

Story was great - not very different than the book (I thought);  Acting was great, music was good - reminds me of the action movies from the 80's;  action scenes were great; did an awesome job of the set; costumes were awesdome as well; CGI was great (no wonder this movie cost $250m to make); just humorous enough, and the romance was believable - not that great but believable, and the twist at the end was very satisfying.  Great job by Bird - I believe this is his first live action movie

I give it a solid A.

I will be judging other movies for the rest of the year to this one.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

It bombed at the box office in the States, but did very well in the foreign market.  Tells you something about American's taste in movies. (dumbed down).

I hope they wil make more John Carter movies.

Around the Network

Dumbed down?

It looked like a big box office goldmine from the previews, but critics panned it as horrible. I find that these days any movie can make its money back overseas. What does that tell you?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

It was actually good? The previews made it look like a complete shit dime a dozen action/hero movie with a horrible looking plot.

But you actually give it your word?

And I must say wow, it actually cost $250 million to make? It only did $30 million opening weekend in USA, that can't be a good sign. I know there's still worldwide to account for, plus more sales in the future, but damn that's a long way to go and not a great opening in America.

Marks said:
It was actually good? The previews made it look like a complete shit dime a dozen action/hero movie with a horrible looking plot.

the previews were horrible.  They just showed him jumping around, but this movie is about adventure and love.  Thank goodness my kids wanted to see it.

I don't think I'd have seen it if it wasn't for them.  

Maybe I loved the movie just cause I wasm't expecting anything cause the previews were horrible.  Not like the film at all.

Around the Network

The movie is also available in 2d, but where I live, the theaters are only playing the 2d in one screen with only 2 showings a day - wth? and about 10 showings in 3d. I don't think majority of the people would want to see this movie in 3d. Though 3d was pretty cool.
Also, the previews (Titans, Battleship, the Avengers, another one with Bruce willis.) were all good.
Gotta save some money for the movies this year

Id rather see ghost rider again. fantastic cgi and it only cost 50 mill.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

500 millions just to honestly break even with marketing costs. Without marketing cost 370-380 should do it world wide. 55 percent of theater profits go back to studios.

I wanted to see until the reviews came in. Saw sherlock aggain today. So maybe next week I can take my kids. Based off wanting to see it and this thread here.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Coca-Cola said:
Marks said:

the previews were horrible.  They just showed him jumping around, but this movie is about adventure and love.  Thank goodness my kids wanted to see it.

I don't think I'd have seen it if it wasn't for them.  

Maybe I loved the movie just cause I wasm't expecting anything cause the previews were horrible.  Not like the film at all.

It's funny how previews work. They made the movie "The American" with George Clooney out to be a cool lookin spy/action movie when in reality it was the most boring movie I've ever seen in my life.....and for John Carter as you say it was just him jumping around and made it look bad, but in reality it's actually good. 

Previews are really messed up sometimes. 

I have not seen it yet, but i want to. reminds me alot of avatar, another movie i thought was great :D.