By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - John Carter - a great movie.

I just watched John Carter - with not much anticipation, but was curious.

Watched the 3d version, and it was full of win.  Awesome movie.

Story was great - not very different than the book (I thought);  Acting was great, music was good - reminds me of the action movies from the 80's;  action scenes were great; did an awesome job of the set; costumes were awesdome as well; CGI was great (no wonder this movie cost $250m to make); just humorous enough, and the romance was believable - not that great but believable, and the twist at the end was very satisfying.  Great job by Bird - I believe this is his first live action movie

I give it a solid A.

I will be judging other movies for the rest of the year to this one.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

It bombed at the box office in the States, but did very well in the foreign market.  Tells you something about American's taste in movies. (dumbed down).

I hope they wil make more John Carter movies.

Around the Network

It was actually good? The previews made it look like a complete shit dime a dozen action/hero movie with a horrible looking plot.

But you actually give it your word?

And I must say wow, it actually cost $250 million to make? It only did $30 million opening weekend in USA, that can't be a good sign. I know there's still worldwide to account for, plus more sales in the future, but damn that's a long way to go and not a great opening in America.

Marks said:
It was actually good? The previews made it look like a complete shit dime a dozen action/hero movie with a horrible looking plot.

the previews were horrible.  They just showed him jumping around, but this movie is about adventure and love.  Thank goodness my kids wanted to see it.

I don't think I'd have seen it if it wasn't for them.  

Maybe I loved the movie just cause I wasm't expecting anything cause the previews were horrible.  Not like the film at all.

The movie is also available in 2d, but where I live, the theaters are only playing the 2d in one screen with only 2 showings a day - wth? and about 10 showings in 3d. I don't think majority of the people would want to see this movie in 3d. Though 3d was pretty cool.
Also, the previews (Titans, Battleship, the Avengers, another one with Bruce willis.) were all good.
Gotta save some money for the movies this year

Around the Network

Id rather see ghost rider again. fantastic cgi and it only cost 50 mill.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Coca-Cola said:
Marks said:

the previews were horrible.  They just showed him jumping around, but this movie is about adventure and love.  Thank goodness my kids wanted to see it.

Maybe I loved the movie just cause I wasm't expecting anything cause the previews were horrible.  Not like the film at all.

It's funny how previews work. They made the movie "The American" with George Clooney out to be a cool lookin spy/action movie when in reality it was the most boring movie I've ever seen in my life.....and for John Carter as you say it was just him jumping around and made it look bad, but in reality it's actually good. 

Previews are really messed up sometimes. 

This movie was horrible. I watched it with my brother this weekend who worked on the movie and he agreed it was god awful. We literally talked for hours after the movie was over about how bad it was. The acting was terrible. The Character development(or lack there of) was bad. It was soap opera acting at it's worst. The only two good actors in this movie were Willem Dafoe and Thomas Haden Church and they were both CG characters. It was shot terribly. The lighting and set dec was awful in many scenes. The action was mediocre and for a $200 million movie, it's bad. The CG and character animation was amazing though. It was the only element of this movie that was even close to top notch. I don't think Disney even had a budget to score this movie. They spent all their money on a year of reshoots and realized how bad it was that they just took generic theme music from their archives and added it to the movie. I reckon this will be the last time Disney let's an Animated film director and a TV actor, steer the ship of a $200 million live action movie.

If you don't know anything about movies though, you might be able to enjoy it. Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about movies.

RVDondaPC said:
This movie was horrible. I watched it with my brother this weekend who worked on the movie and he agreed it was god awful. We literally talked for hours after the movie was over about how bad it was. The acting was terrible. The Character development(or lack there of) was bad. It was soap opera acting at it's worst. The only two good actors in this movie were Willem Dafoe and Thomas Haden Church and they were both CG characters. It was shot terribly. The lighting and set dec was awful in many scenes. The action was mediocre and for a $200 million movie, it's bad. The CG and character animation was amazing though. It was the only element of this movie that was even close to top notch. I don't think Disney even had a budget to score this movie. They spent all their money on a year of reshoots and realized how bad it was that they just took generic theme music from their archives and added it to the movie. I reckon this will be the last time Disney let's an Animated film director and a TV actor, steer the ship of a $200 million live action movie.

If you don't know anything about movies though, you might be able to enjoy it. Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about movies.

Brad Bird, Ghost Protocol. 

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Marks said:
Coca-Cola said:
Marks said:

It's funny how previews work. They made the movie "The American" with George Clooney out to be a cool lookin spy/action movie when in reality it was the most boring movie I've ever seen in my life.....and for John Carter as you say it was just him jumping around and made it look bad, but in reality it's actually good. 

Previews are really messed up sometimes. 

i agree, The American was really bad.