By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EEDAR's five universal truths for top rated videogames:

What is the most important aspect of a videogame?

Graphics! 2 3.33%

Presentation! 3 5.00%

Gameplay! 53 88.33%

Nostalgia! 0 0%

Originality! 2 3.33%

Music! 0 0%

Total:60

lol online would be awful for nsmbwii its like reviewers like playing games in silence there would be no point if there was no one in the room with you

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network

Of the 6 in the poll, Gameplay is the most important. I'd say a strong amount of content and a sense of exploration can make any game more playable.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Machina said:

So, to sum up on their findings: good games get good review scores.

@this other debate - NSMB and Rayman Origins should both have had online multiplayer. Arguably Rayman moreso because it was also developed for systems which focus more on online gaming.

Kitler - Rayman Origins does have local multiplayer.

Rol - You make it sound like Rayman got a higher score, but NSMB and Rayman Origins both have the same Meta (I'm ignoring the Wii score here because it has far, far fewer reviews posted, which is the sole reason for it being rated higher than the other versions).

is that exclusive to the console versions?  i have the vita version and just opened the game to check...i don't see any multiplayer options.

Zlejedi said:
They missed two key factors - easy accessible gameplay which can be mastered by your grandma and lack of high quality competition.

What? My grandna can't even master a Mario game.
Anyway there is high quality competition in virtually every genre.

Which game are you talking about?

Why are they naming Super Mario Galaxy 2 as an example for all 5 points. It's not very original as it just expands on what SMG started.

Originality, Story/Setting, Sound/Music and Gameplay are the most important for me. I'm always less inclined to buy sequels of games I have already played. Funny that everyone chooses gameplay while I see lots of heavily commented threads about graphics on here and hardly any about gameplay discussion.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
There is a sixth universal truth and this one is a double standard:

If the game is perceived to sell Nintendo systems, reviewers will deduct several points from the final score. If the game is perceived to sell Sony or Microsoft systems, no such adjustment is being made.

So if any publisher aims for a high review score on a Nintendo system, making a massmarket game should be avoided. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword can score highly while Mario Kart Wii cannot. Dead Space Extraction and MadWorld get high scores, because they have "flop" written all over them. Call of Duty on the HD consoles can garner high scores, because it obviously won't sell Nintendo systems.

And don't get me started on NSMB Wii that got panned for having no online multiplayer. Not only in reviews, but editorials. Two years later Rayman Origins commits the same "sin", but it doesn't dampen its scores.

rayman doesn't have any multiplayer so it's hard to complain about the lack of online capability for their no multiplayer.  Trine took a hit in reviews for having a multiplayer element and no support for online.  NSMB Wii took the critisism for having a half-assed implemented multiplayer not specifically for having no online.

also, rayman is a better platformer.

agreed

Yeah, well I think that Donkey Kong Country Returns is better than both of them.   So there...

OT  Gameplay is the most important point.  Great gameplay, like the gameplay in DKC Returns.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

RolStoppable said:

If the game is perceived to sell Nintendo systems, reviewers will deduct several points from the final score. If the game is perceived to sell Sony or Microsoft systems, no such adjustment is being made.

So if any publisher aims for a high review score on a Nintendo system, making a massmarket game should be avoided. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword can score highly while Mario Kart Wii cannot. Dead Space Extraction and MadWorld get high scores, because they have "flop" written all over them. Call of Duty on the HD consoles can garner high scores, because it obviously won't sell Nintendo systems.

And don't get me started on NSMB Wii that got panned for having no online multiplayer. Not only in reviews, but editorials. Two years later Rayman Origins commits the same "sin", but it doesn't dampen its scores.

Sometimes you really are just too much.

MKWii, while 'fun' was not even close to the stellar experience Mario Galaxy was. I hated it because I would lead for 90% of the race and then drop down to dead last over and over again. It's a family game. A casual game. A game for grandmas. There wasn't that much depth and it wasn't as original as Galaxy.

Yeah I said it.

Dr.Grass said:
RolStoppable said:

MKWii, while 'fun' was not even close to the stellar experience Mario Galaxy was. I hated it because I would lead for 90% of the race and then drop down to dead last over and over again. It's a family game. A casual game. A game for grandmas. There wasn't that much depth and it wasn't as original as Galaxy.

Yeah I said it.

Play Rol or I at Mario Kart Wii and see how often you win...

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Dr.Grass said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah I said it.

Prolly I'd lead for the first few laps and then get passed by everyone on the last one.

Dr.Grass said:
amp316 said:
Dr.Grass said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah I said it.

Prolly I'd lead for the first few laps and then get passed by everyone on the last one.

It's funny that I can tell who can and can't play Mario Kart just by their responses.