By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Nintendo News Thread: "Born a Nintendo Fan, die a Nintendo fan!

Tagged games:

What would you give for Nintendo to be #1 again this gen?

500 dollars 1,316 72.35%

Kidney 2 0.11%

Soul 9 0.49%

virginity 16 0.88%

Your favorite puppy 6 0.33%

Your 1,000 dollar copy of Xenoblades 8 0.44%

An hour of your time 26 1.43%

Other ( post below) 6 0.33%

....Left testicle.... 13 0.71%

Pezus's freedom 22 1.21%

Total:1,424
DanneSandin said:
Pavolink said:

Only a guess:

Zelda: Nintendo sold a lot of Wiis because Twilight Princess. Having a Zelda game in that style (not art style, but something similar) early in the console rather than at the end (Skyward Sword) will help to boost sales.

Metroid: Well, last one was in 2010. And we know that Prime sold very well in the Wii in 2007. I wouldn't say not to Metroid Prime 4.

Mario 2D: Cross platform with 3DS or something similar. Maybe this holiday.

I'm sorry, but I kinda have to disagree with everything you said :P We won't see Zelda on the WiiU till at least 2015/16 - IF Retro isn't on it right now! There's always about 5 years inbetween console Zeldas, and haven't they already said that they will do a portable first??

Metroid is the most likely one out of these three, but I still don't think we'll see it this year...

Mario 2D is really to big to be a launch title: EVERYONE would buy it, which means noone would buy the rest of the line up... I think we'll see this around x-mas 2013, or perhaps 2014. That's such a system seller that they won't need it when it launches; if the WiiU starts to sell less and less they can roll out 2D Mario - who will save the day. A new system sells itself, it won't need that extra push.

Hope that makes sense :)

Well, Nintendo said they have learned about bad launchs (3DS), so I'm expecting a good first party line-up at launch. Also, they will announce a 2D for this holiday (confirmed), and been cross platform with Wii U will help to boost sales.

Finally, the firts reel of games this E3 without Mario/Zelda/Metroid will be...odd.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Pikmin 2 is the one that they didn't re-release on the Wii. Which is odd since number one sold the best in America... Sometimes I hate Nintendo. >_

NintendoPie said:
Pikmin 2 is the one that they didn't re-release on the Wii. Which is odd since number one sold the best in America... Sometimes I hate Nintendo. >_<"

I think they purposely held back Pikmin2 to be front runner for Pikmin3. However, it pisses me off as it was the only other NPC game I wanted. I bought Pikmin NPC and it was fantastic and I always looked forward to buying #2.

spurgeonryan said:
What did new play control games have? Just motion control?

The title explain it all, so, yes. I don't think the graphics were updated a lot. (If at all) It was basically a placeholder for other new games, and another way to get more money. They were still fun though!

spurgeonryan said:

I would love to find something someday that was worth a thread!

Nobody Knows When the Hell Super Mario Bros. Was Released

It's commonly held that Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System is one, if not the greatest game of all time. People constantly talk about its historical importance, and how it was largely responsible for the unprecedented success of the NES console.

But when did it come out? Most people say 1986, but no one has ever published a definitive release date. In a truly fascinating bit of investigative reporting, Gamasutra's Frank Cifaldi went on quest to determine the official, actual release date of the classic game. Unfortunately, he was unable to do so.

After tracking the game through its Japanese release and through retail channels into america, things started getting very murky. The game has always been cited as having been released in 1986, but as Cifaldi finds, it looked far more likely that it came out in the fall of 1985.

Tracking a paper trail that takes him from Nintendo's internal launch date (October 18, 1985) up through former EGM editor Ed Semrad's 1985 Milwaukee Journal entry about the game, Cifaldi finds a number of ads, internal Nintendo launch chronicles, and sweepstakes lists to find convincing evidence that Super Mario Bros. was part of Nintendo's slate of 15 launch games for the NES for fall of 1985.

It gets better from there, with Cifaldi chatting with someone who was possibly there on the day that the first unit sold. Bruce Lowry, Nintendo VP of sales at the time, tells the story of how he and two other Nintendo employees went to FAO Schwartz to watch the first unit be purchased.

But! There is the question of... the bloody mary.

Humorously enough, it was bought by a man who worked for a Nintendo competitor, but he bought all 15 of the launch games along with the console. It would seem that is the first registered North American sale of Super Mario Bros. But! There is the question of... the bloody mary.

Three of the employees broke off afterwards to go have a bloody mary at a hotel bar nearby; Gail Tilden, one of the three, says that she never would have gotten a bloody mary on a weekday. That casts some doubt on the theory of a release date of Friday, October 18th.

Can you see why this article is fun? It keeps going from there, running through remembered parties and dates, circling around either Saturday, October 12th or the next Saturday, October 19th as the date of the FAO Schwartz sale.

In the end, Cifaldi has assembled some good-looking evidence pointing towards Saturday, October 19th, 1985. But still, he says he's "just not satisfied." There's no smoking gun, no definitive proof. Nintendo, unfortunately, has been less than helpful, emailing with him a bit before saying they have to "politely decline at this time given the limited resources as we're gearing up for other projects."

Cifaldi has a laugh over the fact that just as he wrapped up his investigation, he got an anonymous tip that pointed him towards November 17 as the launch date. How ridiculous is it, he asks, that 27 years after the game launched, he has to rely on intense investigative journalism and random anonymous tipsters to even get an inkling of when the game came out?

While we may never know the exact North American release date of the greatest game of all time, this story speaks volumes about how difficult it can be to chronicle the history of video games. Props to Cifaldi for chasing down such a winding, ephemeral story. Who knows? The truth might still be out there. Maybe the Cigarette-Smoking Man can cast some light on this.

Now thats very very interesting... I going to submit it to pop fiction on GT....

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

I need Mario Party 5 after this 9, why i didn't never had that.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

79.99 USD

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

So great and so hard!
I think i really stink at this game! :D

Pavolink said:
DanneSandin said:
Pavolink said:

Only a guess:

Zelda: Nintendo sold a lot of Wiis because Twilight Princess. Having a Zelda game in that style (not art style, but something similar) early in the console rather than at the end (Skyward Sword) will help to boost sales.

Metroid: Well, last one was in 2010. And we know that Prime sold very well in the Wii in 2007. I wouldn't say not to Metroid Prime 4.

Mario 2D: Cross platform with 3DS or something similar. Maybe this holiday.

I'm sorry, but I kinda have to disagree with everything you said :P We won't see Zelda on the WiiU till at least 2015/16 - IF Retro isn't on it right now! There's always about 5 years inbetween console Zeldas, and haven't they already said that they will do a portable first??

Metroid is the most likely one out of these three, but I still don't think we'll see it this year...

Mario 2D is really to big to be a launch title: EVERYONE would buy it, which means noone would buy the rest of the line up... I think we'll see this around x-mas 2013, or perhaps 2014. That's such a system seller that they won't need it when it launches; if the WiiU starts to sell less and less they can roll out 2D Mario - who will save the day. A new system sells itself, it won't need that extra push.

Hope that makes sense :)

Well, Nintendo said they have learned about bad launchs (3DS), so I'm expecting a good first party line-up at launch. Also, they will announce a 2D for this holiday (confirmed), and been cross platform with Wii U will help to boost sales.

Finally, the firts reel of games this E3 without Mario/Zelda/Metroid will be...odd.

I think (and hope) that they've learned quite a bit; they will for sure have a killer launch! But I doubt it'll be a 2d Mario... Nintendo have stated that a new 2d mario is coming for 3ds, so I don't think it'll come for the WiiU as well - but it's a smart idea to do a cross platform 2d Mario! That's why they'll release THAT later ;)

I think we might see a Donkey Kong and/or a Metroid instead of a Mario or/and Zelda game for the WiiU... Perhaps a 3d Mario, but not a 2d.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

spurgeonryan said:
DélioPT said:
So great and so hard!
I think i really stink at this game! :D

what game are you talking about? Kid icarus?

also i will answer your M in a bit. On vacation and only come on during down times.

I`m talking about F-Zero. There`s this track full of ice... i just go against everything! :D
Take your time with the M!