By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Problems Q&A thread

*edit* I have fixed the problem nevermind

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

Around the Network

I have a Sony Vaio FZ (my fanboyism runs beyond just playstation) and its battery life has recently become awful

Its official time is around 2h 30m, but it is currently only lasting about 20 minutes from a full charge. Anyone know a particular reason why this could happen? Thanks for any help.

Ok guys (or girls)  i need some help here. My computer is almost finished and i just need one last peice of hardware.  The Powersupply. I really want to try and save as much cash as possible here as I have spent a huge amount of money on this thing already.  First off I'll give you the specs on it since I know that's pretty much a need to know thing for hardware.

Motherboard: XFX  NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard

Heatsink: Zalman 9700

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHZ (attempt to overclock to 3.5)

RAM: 2G x 4 (8 Gigtotal)

GPU: XFX GTX-285 (Going for Tri-SLI, but might settle for just two)

Also 6 LED 120 MM fans, and 1 LED 200 MM fan with a blu-ray burner.

So basicly here is what I'm looking at.   It's a Silverstone and it is a 1000 Watt powersupply. I Originally wanted a 1200 watt, but like i said trying to save a little money. Found out that the GTX-285 takes a considerable amount LESS energy then a 280 (what i was originally going to get) so I figured going less would be ok.

A.) Will 1000 watt be plenty and if so do you know of a better powersupply around the same price range? (I like pretty lights lol)

B.) Will I be able to go even lower then 1000 and save a bit more?

C.) Should Stick with the 1200 watt and once again if so any recomendations of qaulity with a decent price?

If someone does help me it would be nice if you drop me a message saying you replied cause i don't check sticky's often. Thank yous! ^.^

EDIT:  Also my case is a fucking huge full tower so i don't need to worry about wires.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Munkeh111 said:
I have a Sony Vaio FZ (my fanboyism runs beyond just playstation) and its battery life has recently become awful

Its official time is around 2h 30m, but it is currently only lasting about 20 minutes from a full charge. Anyone know a particular reason why this could happen? Thanks for any help.

Possibilities:

1) Lithium-ion batteries work the opposite of the older nickel cadmium rechargables. You do not want to fully discharge and charge them. Some systems have software/hardware confige options to make sure it only charges to 85% for example. You may not have this or it is disabled.

2) There was a USB driver bug for XP which was spectacular at killing battery life.

3) Do you hear the HD running alot? Your system might be set up to swap pages to disk like crazy which will happen in a standard non-laptop LRU configuration. Spyware bloat would exacerbate this.

fazz said:
Not exactly a problem, but anyone has suggestions for skinning Windows XP?

In the past I used msstyles via uxtheme modding, but since SP3 they're bricked. Any suggestions, like Windowsblinds or something else? I hate this blue theme hehe.

There is TinyXP if you don't mind flying the jolly-rogger.

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
I have a problem with my comp (HP pavilion dv 9500)

CPU-Z 1.45 report file
Processor(s)
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5250
Code Name Merom
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz
Package Socket P (478)
Family/Model/Stepping 6.F.D
Extended Family/Model 6.F
Core Stepping M0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1496.5 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 9.0 x 166.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 665.1 MHz
Stock frequency 1500 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge Intel GM965 rev. C0
Southbridge Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) rev. 03
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 332.6 MHz (1:2)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
System
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Name HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC
System S/N CNF7382LXF
Mainboard Vendor Quanta
Mainboard Model 30CB
BIOS Vendor Hewlett-Packard
BIOS Version F.33
BIOS Date 11/12/2007
Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
DirectX Version 10.0

My question is: what newer CPUs would you recommend for this to make it a gaming system as it is only 1.50 GHz?

Also, can I add more memory w/o changing the mb as it has only 2 GB of DD2 RAM? Overclocking ram or something? Probably not, but you can never be 100% sure.

Can you even upgrade your CPU? Most laptops have it soldered in. An obvious problem is that your CAS and RAS latencies are terrible. Are these what your modules are rated for or is this simply what your bios is set at? This makes a big difference for applications with poor spatial locality.

Overclocking ram will not help you with your memory limit. Check what the limit is on the latest bios update for you mb.

My AC adapter is plugged in, but not charging.

I have Vista, so how do I get it to start charging my computer again?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

A little problem

I want to listen to music with earphones on the computer but all the earphones I have got really short cords so they can't go to the back of the computer but I got front inputs to plug them in, but they don't work for some reason. When I plug the earphones in the front they don't even show up on the computer. Is the front inputs just simply broke, or am I doing something wrong.

When I watch streaming videos or play older games sometimes i get screen tear. I've forced vsync on in the nvidia control panel but thats not helping. Any suggestions.

Running an 8800GT

Gilgamesh said:

A little problem

I want to listen to music with earphones on the computer but all the earphones I have got really short cords so they can't go to the back of the computer but I got front inputs to plug them in, but they don't work for some reason. When I plug the earphones in the front they don't even show up on the computer. Is the front inputs just simply broke, or am I doing something wrong.

Did you make the computer, and if so did you connect the front panel correctly?

take no offense I don't know your level of expertise. :)