By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you could drastically change your family, would you?

As I reflected upon my life, I began to think about the impact that my family has placed on my life. I particularly began to think about how my life could be more satisfying if I had a different set of people raise me. After a while, I started to yearn for a life where some of my family were of a different character, almost entirely different people by some people definitions. After realizing these feelings, I started to wonder if I was abnormal. So, I decided to go and ask my closest friends if they shared the same feelings as I. So...do you?

And by change, that could be anything. Physical changes, mental changes, emotional changes, religious changes, financial changes, etc. (Though I'm personally interested in mental and emotional changes). And by family members, I mean any family member. Brother, sister, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, etc.

If I was given the oppurtunity to drastically change my family members, I'd take advantage of it without hesitation. I would change probably every member in my family to be more open-minded, more considerate, and less judgemental (I won't give any examples for privacy purposes). My family members are the epitome of narrow-mindedness. They religiously follow societal norm without question all while ridiculing any who don't (i.e: me). It sometimes seems like they don't even have the intellectual capacity to make decisions and simply react based on what society deems appropriate. I fucking hate it man! Sometimes, I feel like killing someone just to make them question my actions and maybe have a complex thought. (okay maybe not killing someone, but something to get them to think for themselves)

I've tried opening them up to accepting new ideas, but every time I try, I'm either ignored or laughed at (sometimes both) and I'm always met with a "you're weird" look. Sometimes, I'm even met with hostility if the topic is sensitive enough. One time, I TOYED with the idea of there not being a god and I thought my family hated me (You would have too if you saw their reactions). Even with all this, I still occasionally try introducing them to new ideas, even though I know I'll be ridiculed. Most of the time though, I decide to stay quiet around my family since I know they won't consider anything I say; they already have subconcsious, pre-set reactions to whatever comes out of my mouth. Seriously, their like fucking robots or zombies (or robot zombies) instead of humans. It's gotten to the point where I can predict their reactions to nealy most external stimuli. I sometimes wish I could just trade in my family members for completely different people.

To be fair though, my family is no more narrow-minded than the average person. In fact, they may be better than average. It's just that it becomes a bit depressing when you know you can't express your deep feelings with the people you see most. There average person is no better though, but that's more reason for me to have someone in my family to talk to considering most of humanity can't process a new idea.

With all this in mind, I always wonder how I shaped into the person I am today. It really baffles my mind how I am so different from the rest of my family. I don't know, the development of my personality probably dates back to when I was very young, before my memory can go. They did a very good job raising me though. I'm an excellent person, in my opinion obviously. I just wish they weren't so discouraging to open expression and new ideas. That's why I wish they were different. Not just small traits, I wish I could change the core of their character. Oh well, I guess you gotta live with what you got.

But then again, who am I to say whether I'm any better than my family? No one, I guess. Just giving my feelings.

What about you, VGChartz? If you could (drastically) change the people in your family, would you? I know I would.

Around the Network

I would get rid of my stepfather and thats about it. Theres plenty of people in my family who I think are stuck in the past when it comes to their way of thinking, but I wouldn't change that about them as that wouldn't really be fair to them.

I hate when people bump their own threads but this thread was created when the site was pretty dead so I need to give it a chance at success. Besides, I spent a lot of time writing this and I ain't gonna settle with one reply.

so...bump

I would turn them all into potheads.

Jay520 said:
I hate when people bump their own threads but this thread was created when the site was pretty dead so I need to give it a chance at success. Besides, I spent a lot of time writing this and I ain't gonna settle with one reply.

so...bump

You could have done a stealth bump.  Like find something to have replied back to Mad55.  That way you quoted him (added something to the thread) and bumped the thread.

Around the Network

To give you a short answer: Yes.

I'm busy atm, so I'll edit this post later with a more expansive set of characters. ;)

I would change the fact that I live 2500 miles away from them. I miss my family.

SW-5120-1900-6153

sethnintendo said:
Jay520 said:

so...bump

You could have done a stealth bump.  Like find something to have replied back to Mad55.  That way you quoted him (added something to the thread) and bumped the thread.

Yeah, but I could have just replied to him when he initially posted his comment considering I was active six hours ago. If I would have replied to him now, then everyone would have known that I wasn't genuinely replying to him; I was just bumping the thread in disguise. At that point, people would hate me for trying to decieve them and my reputation would be decimated. Then, I would have to ban my profile and start over fresh to escape the constant hatred from my peers.

So I think it would be best to take the dignified approach and just and admit my intentions up front.

Oh god, yes. I wish like hell I wasn't Blacksaber's mom.

Of course. I would want my parents to be billionaires.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.