By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo supply problem?

Gamers who want Wiis will still look for them no matter how long it takes to get 'em, but the average non gamer who is interested by the Wii might be over it by the time supplies are normal level.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

well, if i read correctly, nintendo was looking for new partners in order to produce wiis, meaning they'll make wiis not only at their own factories but at someoneelse's. Since it's just a contract, they can probably stop it and go back to their normal production rate whenever the demand fails. So i don't think the "factories are not disposable things" comes into play. They're probably doing as much as they can to ramp up the production. it probably just takes time and when it's done, we should see some significant progress towards the end of the year.

not quite, benoit. Although Nintendo does outsource the production to other companies this doesn't change the situation much. No company is going to start producing Wii's if Nintendo can then say two months down the track "sorry fellas, not enough demand, we're shutting this baby down"

Nintendo will have to sign a contract saying they need so many consoles in such a time in order for the manufacturers to start producing. Although they could probably negotiate good terms since the consoles are selling like gangbusters and are likely to continue doing so.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

catofellow said:
The problem is that Nintendo isn't confident they can keep this demand going.  Factories are not disposable things.  If Nintendo wanted to have 5 million consoles ready for November they could have, but they knew they couldn't sell 5 million per month indefinitely.  This would leave factories sitting around doing nothing.  Its not like the parts are rare.  Nintendo just wants to produce at the level of the long term demand.  They do not care if they lose a few sales in the short run because it isn't profitible to produce at a level that will guarantee there will be no shortages anywhere in the world at any time.

Good point. Nintendo's at the sweet spot right now. They've launched at a mass market price and have excellent buzz. Longer term, they can get by on the 600-700k units per month they shipped in March.

Delusional said:

there is no way that if people can't find a wii, they would go for a 360 or ps3 for that reason.  well, they might a 360 if what they really are aiming for is video game console with good graphics.  ps3 price is too high.  people buy wii cuz it's cheap and seems fun.  otherwise, they'd rather save their $250 for something else.

not exactly. they spend their $250 for something else. I don't think that nintendo has to up their production as fast as they can, but i'm sure they're losing some potential wii owners because of those supply problems.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
nintendo_fanboy said:
Delusional said:

there is no way that if people can't find a wii, they would go for a 360 or ps3 for that reason.  well, they might a 360 if what they really are aiming for is video game console with good graphics.  ps3 price is too high.  people buy wii cuz it's cheap and seems fun.  otherwise, they'd rather save their $250 for something else.

not exactly. they spend their $250 for something else. I don't think that nintendo has to up their production as fast as they can, but i'm sure they're losing some potential wii owners because of those supply problems.

Probably not, only in the short term, in the long term these people will come back to the Wii, especially around the next holidays and when the game library becomes dominant

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

When the holidays hit, will Nintendo be able to meet the demand then either?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Delusional said:

Probably not, only in the short term, in the long term these people will come back to the Wii, especially around the next holidays and when the game library becomes dominant

If the wii is able to keep the momentum in the way it's got it now, then i agree. but if it slows, they are probably lost. and if it doesn't, what i hope of course, those supply problems won't matter anyway.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Shane said:

When the holidays hit, will Nintendo be able to meet the demand then either?

With the low shipments this month of Wii's, in comparison with previous months, I sorta' have a feeling that Nintendo is fleecing some of the Wii's--already-- to be readily stockpiled for the holidays.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Just a quick note:

Was down at my local shopping centre (Chadstone - in Melbourne, Australia) and picked up DragonBall Z for the Wii.

We must have got a decent shipment recently, because both ToysRUs & EB had *heaps* of Wii's for sale. I asked the lady at ToysRUs, and she said they had a "zillion" units.

Both stores looked fairly quiet - it is the first weekend after the back to school for kids here. I think the next 2-3 months are the quietest part of the year for game purchases as well (maybe until the holidays in June/July).

EB in particular had a HUGE sale on for PS2 titles - obviously trying to clear all excess (software) store. The deal is now "3 titles for $55" (about $40 US, when our sales tax counted). Most of the titles were old titles, many 2nd hand as well.

I would expect the PS2 to dominate sales here for the coming months. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099