By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: 20GB & 60GB PS3s Discontinued In Japan

you're wrong, diomedes (unsurprisingly) Japan never saw a release of the 80GB model. Only, 20, 60, then 40GB. Japan is losing backwards compatibility, and soon only NA will have it.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Well I am prepared for the announcment of the 160GB PS3 for Japan. This is really a good move buy Sony. I would be very surprised if they did not pull the 80GB out of the US as well. They need to get PS2 software emulated on Cell at some point and I think it will be very soon. They gain a lot by doing it. With the PS4 pretty much ready to go with a Cell variant and another nVidia GPU, it would take no future work to get games running on the PS4.

If they can do the 40GB for 349.99 @ GTA4 launch with no spiderman bundle, and a 160GB for 449.99 with no Motorstorm, I think they would be looking awsome. They deffenetly need to get a large HDD modle out their anyways with PSN busting open in the next few months.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

is this the same bad move that improved sales in PAL regions? how can you people see this as a bad move???

I'm glad I didn't agree to a friend offering to swap his 80GB PS3 +2 games to my 60Gb.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sony is further gimping its hardware

How?

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

How?

taking BC totally out of the picture

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

How?

And? It worked in Europe so good :o)

Isn't PS3 cheapest in Japan, add to that they still had BC means Sony was losing more most money per unit there. Guess the either A) Can't afford (as great) a loss anymore or B) Stopped making those units a while back and have now deplete all existing stock.

KBG29 said:
Well I am prepared for the announcment of the 160GB PS3 for Japan.

Nooooooooooo!!1

Weren't there some reports of Sony realising what a bad idea multiple SKUs was, and intending on moving back to just one model? The last thing anyone needs is more confused consumers.

Besides, the PS3 is similar to the PSP in how adding more stuff is not going to make it more appealing for anyone. Both devices are already the gadgetphile's dream come true, and they should really concentrate on reaching the non-hifi obsessed, non-graphics nerd segment of the market.

Just_Ben said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

How?

And? It worked in Europe so good :o)

Europe isn't Japan.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!