Avinash_Tyagi said:
leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sony is further gimping its hardware

How?

taking BC totally out of the picture

And? It worked in Europe so good :o)

Europe isn't Japan.

Ah, the people also said the sales in Europe would drop once the 60 gigs are out. Face it, people don't care as much about BC as a lot of people think they do. Its not worth 100$ for the most. Its that simple. If the 40 GB would not sell and the other 2 would in japan move serios ammount more units, I don't think Sony would do such a move. They need sells. So if they do it, it will most likley there is a bigger upside than downside for them. 

Around the Network

@Just_Ben: The question is how would it work for them in Europe if BC model was also avalible there. I think that eliminating 60GB model didn't help as much as new, lower price.

Advantages of this decision:
- less confustion for consumer, only one standard model
- possibly smaller losses on Sony side (which can be transfered on client' side in form of price drop).
Disadvantages:
- no model with BC on market

Sony stated earlier that they are not going to develop PS2 software emulation for 40GB and instead are going to focus on developing software for PS3.

Neos said:

Europe isn't Japan.

so what if they're not europe? exactly what difference would that make? the majority of this forum expected the 40gb in europe to flop hard. they were all wrong, horribly wrong infact. what makes you think japan will be any different?

"Sony is further gimping its hardware"

Bah the 40Gb has everything in it to play PS3 games.

Just the things you have to buy extra for all or many 360 versions:

hard disc, HDMI, WLAN, HD player, loading equipment for the controller *sick*...

DOATS1 said:

Neos said:

Europe isn't Japan.

so what if they're not europe? exactly what difference would that make? the majority of this forum expected the 40gb in europe to flop hard. they were all wrong, horribly wrong infact. what makes you think japan will be any different?

Wii 230,625

PS3 74,401

During one of the biggest weeks in Japan 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Obviously, no one cares about b/c. They did it in america, and sales have risen greatly since then, did it ine EU, and sales have risen greatly, and they will do it in JP and it will happen again. Sony haters like to think that b/c is more important than it is, when in actuality, it isn't. We've been through this same exact thhing when they did it in Others and they said sales would drop and they rose, in america the same haters said the same thing and they rose, and the same will happen in JP.

Well Kaz did state that his goal was to make the PS3 profitable during 08's fiscal year. I expect them to hold strong on the price and drop anything else they can from the system.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

@ A_T

Well, no system except the DS can stand up to Wii Fit and the Wii together. Duh! And the PS3 hasn't really received a plethora of releases in a few months.

@ DOATS1

You have to remember that its 'cool' to bash Sony these days, regardless of what they do!

for production it is good step, one model mass production is probably less expensive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.