By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic and Microsoft!

starcraft said:

I know very little about Epic's financials, however I do know that they are currently only known for two gaming franchises, Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3.  The former recently made Epic a LOT of money both directly in terms of sales, and indirectly in terms of the number of developers that became licencees to their Unreal Engine 3 after seeing Gears of War.  The latter, Unreal Tournament 3, just cost Epic what is probably a considerable amount of money when it flopped horribly on the PS3 and PC.  Though some of this may be recouperated through a 360 version, it is still unlikely to be profitable.

In my opinion, this is the time for Microsoft to push for Gears of War exclusivity beyond Gears of War 2 (my understanding is that they only have publishing rights for versions 1 & 2).  Epic have only two significant properties, one of which has been immensly successful and was developed with large Microsoft input, the other of which may just be pronounced dead after it's abysmal sales.  This is the perfect time for Microsoft to step in and offer Epic a little money (to pad their half-yearly bottom-line out after UT3's failure) in return for a couple more exclusive Gears of War games, or perhaps another exclusive IP.  Thoughts? 

Just about everything is wrong with your statements. First of all UT3 didn't flop, it didn't sell amazing but look at the American totals for PS3, theres only 3.5 million units! Did you really expect it to sell 1 million with only 3.5 million units? its got about 200k or just under that and its still selling at a reasonable rate. I know its only about a 6% attachment rate for America and about 2% worldwide, but give it a chance..it will keep selling.

Also by the time Gears of War 3 comes out, which isn't a guarenteed 360 exclusive, that could be 2-3 years from now, do you know how much greater the PS3's userbase will be by then? It will be much much larger, and also Gears 3 would be sold in Europe and Japan I assume as well as america, so it would have the chance to sell well over a million...a chance UT3 never really had. If it had been released in Europe it may have had decent numbers.

Of course it would be smart for Microsoft to try to lock up Gears of War 3, but it will require a lot of money from Microsoft to make that happen, as PS3 will have a lot more systems in peoples homes by then.

Around the Network
ymeaga1n said:
Aj_habfan said:
ymeaga1n said:
Aj_habfan said:
I don't get your point with Unreal Tournament failing on PC/PS3, I'm sure if a game like Gears of War 2 was released on PS3/PC it would have done MUCH better. The Unreal franchise is not that popular anymore and there was no advertising, it's not like it will do great on 360 either.

First off, I don't know what he's talking about with pc/ps3 doing crappy but 360 doing well (?), but what is your basis for claiming gears 2 would do better on ps3/pc and as compared to what, 360/pc? (if you are comparing those two...read on...)

Sounds ridiculous to me...ps3s install base is no where near xbox's install base (NA particularly). PS3's online network, at this point in time, cannot compare to xboxs (and i doubt it will even be on par with it before the end of the year) which was a major selling point for the original gears of war. And, gears already has an installled based with its 360 users. Tell me why install base on ps3 would buy more gears 2 than the install base of 360.

Wow, I didn't say anything close to that. Really, not sure what the hell you were reading. My point was that you can't compare the success of a game like Gears of War 2 with Unreal Tournament III, because there is not nearly as much interest in Unreal Tournament as there is with GoW.

Also, I never said anything about it doing better than 360, I said a game like Gears of War 2 on PS3 would do MUCH better than Unreal Tournament III on the PS3.

oh dont' throw a fit. you were in no way clear with your first statement. and i clearly pointed out not to read my post if i steered off course and you still did....it's only your own fault lol.

Ironic statement bud, considering this all started from you not reading it properly.

Don't blame your unability to write a properly structured statement on other people.