By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - casual - hardcore wii gamers!?

Hus said:
mancandy said:
Hus said:

Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game. Make your argument with an actual Wii game not a port, have fun.

It doesn't really matter what Nintendo system it's on. Nintendo, in general, has that non-hardcore stigma for some lame reason.

its a very real simple reason.

Nin does not have a brutal action game like God of war.... a crazy looking shooter like Geras or online king Halo ? it does not have a racer like Gran Turismo where you will literly spend a few hundredth hours on it no problem.

they rule the kiddy games but that it, hell their best dev is all agianst violent/brutal games. 

Why does Wii need a super brutal game to be hardcore?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

For me, it's more a hardcore gamer a guy who still plays a 2d platformer/rpg like super paper mario than a guy who refuses to play anything that doesn't have hd resolution. that is an elite gamer.

Being a cinema lover, i recall Martin Scorsese documentary about italian movies and the beautiful descriptions he offers, and one thing he said was that a lot of that movies were seen on an old, tiny, black and white tv set. Later in life he saw them in movie theaters but the impact they had on him, was from seeing them the first time.

DKII said:
From what I can tell by distilling internet forum gossip, a hardcore game is defined as any game that is not on a Nintendo platform.

That's what people seem to belive... Some people won't even try a game cause it's not "hardcore". Sad, very sad...

This graphics stuff is not as important as a lot of you make it out to be.

It's the same as watching television in HD and then not. My wife and I will start watching a show like CSI out in the living room in HD (and it sure is pretty) and then finish it in the bedroom (wink). But when we start watching in the bedroom we don't say "damn this looks horrible on our crappy normal television." We watch it and get sucked into the show because we like the show. 

In the end, it will always be the gameplay that sells. Not the graphics. Although great graphics are very nice to look at for the first time, it's not what keeps a gamer coming back for more.

And after 4 months, I am still playing Wii Sports.

http://www.subodesign.com

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Ghost Squad, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play

When you worry more about the technical aspects of a game rather than the game itself, you really shouldn't consider yourself a gamer.  That's my opinion.  I used to spend hours tweaking my PC for games, anymore I stick to a default set of options and go start playing.  I've grown so accustomed to it I can play a classic game like M.U.L.E. at 320x240 (or probably lower for my C64 version) just as easily as Unreal Tournament 2004 @ 1600x1200, it makes no difference to me.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
Hus said:

Nin does not have a brutal action game like God of war.... a crazy looking shooter like Geras or online king Halo ? it does not have a racer like Gran Turismo where you will literly spend a few hundredth hours on it no problem.

they rule the kiddy games but that it, hell their best dev is all agianst violent/brutal games.

Blah, that's a load of BS (excuse my French :>).

Many of the "casual" gamers I know are ONLY into violent games. Teenage kids, a couple of my mates. I definitely wouldn't consider them hardcore gamers - just casual gamers, who get sucked in by the premise of extreme violence.

As always, it comes down to the "definition" of a hard-core gamer (a discussion we still haven't resolved at work, and is still being argued around the web).

Casual gamers tend to play games that fit their demographic - teenage boys play violent killing gamers, males play shooters, young girls play Sims/horse games/Barbie games, etc. When people start playing OUT of their demographic, there is a better chance they are "hard-core". So its not the TYPE of game they play - rather how the type of game compares to WHO they are.

(try arguing Im a "casual" gamer for instance - I have been developing games/coding for more than 20 years now, play games most of my spare time, have 700+ posts on this board, ran a games company, etc. And I HATE violent games, racers & don't play FPS's anymore. Just because I enjoy "kiddie" games, that doesn't make me a casual gamer at all!). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

So its not the TYPE of game they play - rather how the type of game compares to WHO they are. And how they play the game. If you play games for 20+ years. But you don't finish many games. Are you hardcore for being a longtime a gamer. Or are you a casual gamer for being not so good at games?

I don't know from my few days to a week spent as a member of this forum I haven't seen or heard many people accuse the Wii of only being good for Casual gamers.

Also from the level of conversation and the fact this forum is targetting those intrested in sales stats and stock information it weeds alot of the kiddies out. How many kids want to here exactly what demographic a game company is targetting with this game. how many kids want to listen to sales figures and analysis of marketing scheme's.

I'm a young adult (In Canada) not considered one in the US yet thoug. I am an industry enthuisiest who wants to get a job with Nintendo of Canada in the future. My life goals coincide with my passion for the industry. This passion has lead me to care far more about the industry then in many cases the games themselves. I love watching the console wars unfold seeing what which companies are doing why or why aren't they having success.

I love to look at a game and think about the millions of different things that could be done to it. I spent in Grade 6 almost the entire year creating the outline for an RPG the binder had hundreds of pages to it. I care more about this industry then almost anything else in my life (Friends/Family and Christianity) aside. My main goals in life are around this industry.

I think many users here share that drive, many have already taken their University programs Computer Sciences etc...etc... and have a passion for the industry. Many of these members are highly intellectual and know what their talking about.

Finally it is true that Nintendo's target audience this past year has been the casual gamer!,That doesn't mean only casual gamers like it. Nintendo is shifting focus back towards the hardcore demographic!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Hus said:

Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game. Make your argument with an actual Wii game not a port, have fun.

I dunno how about Metroid, Mario:Galaxy , SmashBros:Brawl. All are considered hardcore games (Maybe not so much Mario) then look at games that have yet to be announced. I'm sorry but the Wii hasn't even been around a year their is more hardcore games comming for the Wii in it's first year then X-Box and PS2 combined in their first year!

Lets look at what games are comming for PS3, what KillZone and Resistance Whoop dee do! or how about 360 Halo3 , Fable2 yes I think MetroidPrime , SmashBrothers and Mario are enough hardcore games in a single year to qualify the Wii as a hardcore system.

Plus Miyamoto stated Nintendo was shifting focus back towards the hardcore gamer. What does this indicate, I dunno lets watch and wait for E3-E for all - G|C to see just what Nintendo hasn't told us yet! Theirs tons of games yet to be announced you'll see more clearly by the end of the year!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

shams said:
Hus said:

Blah, that's a load of BS (excuse my French :>).

Many of the "casual" gamers I know are ONLY into violent games. Teenage kids, a couple of my mates. I definitely wouldn't consider them hardcore gamers - just casual gamers, who get sucked in by the premise of extreme violence.

As always, it comes down to the "definition" of a hard-core gamer (a discussion we still haven't resolved at work, and is still being argued around the web).

Casual gamers tend to play games that fit their demographic - teenage boys play violent killing gamers, males play shooters, young girls play Sims/horse games/Barbie games, etc. When people start playing OUT of their demographic, there is a better chance they are "hard-core". So its not the TYPE of game they play - rather how the type of game compares to WHO they are.

(try arguing Im a "casual" gamer for instance - I have been developing games/coding for more than 20 years now, play games most of my spare time, have 700+ posts on this board, ran a games company, etc. And I HATE violent games, racers & don't play FPS's anymore. Just because I enjoy "kiddie" games, that doesn't make me a casual gamer at all!). 

I agree completely with everything you said

Who the person is in comparison to what type of games they play is a very excellent point, and from everything i have read or heard about what defines a hardcore gamer.. that is definitely the best one.. and i think it is very accurate