By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - casual - hardcore wii gamers!?

You all need to remember that the games will got to the largest userbase. Wii will have that by 2008. The devs already see this and have been giving more and more support already. That will only snowball over and over until we have a situation where all of the 'hardcore' games that are 3rd party are on Wii.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
You all need to remember that the games will got to the largest userbase. Wii will have that by 2008. The devs already see this and have been giving more and more support already. That will only snowball over and over until we have a situation where all of the 'hardcore' games that are 3rd party are on Wii.

you need to remember that the wii cant the next gen engines.  Wii mgs4 will never happen, Wii unreal 3 will never happen.

3rd party devs can make a wii game, or a PC/PS3/360 game.

Hus said:
superchunk said:

you need to remember that the wii cant the next gen engines. Wii mgs4 will never happen, Wii unreal 3 will never happen.

nah...PC/PS3/360 game or Wii/PS2 game. 

Hus said:
superchunk said:

you need to remember that the wii cant the next gen engines.  Wii mgs4 will never happen, Wii unreal 3 will never happen.

Most people seem to have a very poor idea of what a game engine is on this site. The most basic definition of a game engine would be "The actual program which animates and renders game assets to screen" ... Now, AI and Physics may also be handled in the engine but the main difference between a new version of an engine and its previous version is the quality of graphics it produces; typically determined by the graphical effects that the new engine can handle.

Certainly, you can not run the Unreal 3 engine on the Wii being that the Unreal 3 engine is designed to be the most advanced shader-based engine epic has ever created; the Wii doesn't have programmable shaders so it is insane to even consider it as a possible platform for the Unreal 3 engine. The Wii should be able to handle the Doom 3, Source and Unreal 2 engines which means that the Wii is only really missing out on graphical capabilities.

I anticipate that if the Wii is popular enough Epic will modify the Unreal 2 engine to run Unreal 3 engine scripts in order to make cross platform development easier. Certainly the Wii version will have lower detailed models, smaller resolution textures and lack most of the pixel effects but the core of the game will remain unchanged.

there was a interview where epic talked about wii and unreal 2, and it was not very wii friendly.

Around the Network
Hus said:

there was a interview where epic talked about wii and unreal 2, and it was not very wii friendly.

Man someone should tell Ubisoft that afterall they only developed and released games for the Wii using the unreal 2 engine

superchunk said:

I doubt if nintendo will ever have all of the 3rd party "hardcore"games. look how well a game like Red steel did . As i understand not real well. If nintendo's image bothers you I don't know what to say. Nintendo does not want or at least try to change that image. Link and Metroid sometimes verge on being a little more "advanced'. I just don't think with so many Mario and Donkeykong games with simple and fun concepts it can be considered "hardcore"

Nintendo is making money by marketing to a new consumer base. Obiviously that means those are not hardcore gamers. Nintendo makes fast paced fun games that usually do not require much experience to play. Nintendo wants this system to appeal to the masses not hardcore gamers. This is Nintendos Idea hey be happy with your consoles #1 if you want. Just don't expect a huge shift on what type of games come to the system.

I am sure you bought the Wii because you liked the games that were coming out...if thats why then you made the right choice. Using the devs seeing that Wii is outselling the competition means they will make games for the Wii. The games they will make for it will be made towards what kind of games that sell well on Wii. Honestly thats not the Red Steel's its going to be Wario Mario kart and games like that. I wouldn't expect a GTA (i think its more adult than Hardcore) games will come from 3rd Parties but more times than not it will be Elebits and not Devil May Cry. That should be fine though because I am guessing you didn't buy a wii for those type of games 

HappySqurriel said:
Hus said:

Man someone should tell Ubisoft that afterall they only developed and released games for the Wii using the unreal 2 engin

Is ubisoft Epic... No.

Epic has put their entire comapny behind unreal engine 3, and Gears shower it was a good choice.

From what I can tell by distilling internet forum gossip, a hardcore game is defined as any game that is not on a Nintendo platform.

staticneuron said:

*sigh*

Aside from zelda and metroid what other "epic" games do you think will come out for the wii? Zelda for the Wii is fun but SotC for the PS2 is by far a better game. Nintendo was one of the first to implement rumble (they didn't invent it) in their controllers  and the first joystick was available for the atari.

Hardcore vs. casual is normally a matter of design and taste, so is adult vs kiddy arguement. But I am pretty sure these opposing views are in every culture and country spread across the world. One of the only real constant of human behavior is the trait to disagree with each others point of view.

Define Epic, I consider SPM to be pretty Epic

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)