By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the Xbox 360 indirectly damage the Final Fantasy brand?

Tagged games:

I loved 13 and 13-2 way better than X, X-2, and 12

Around the Network

It seems like the 360 audience exposed the final fantasy series as something less spectacular than it was set up to be. Final fantasy had to compete against both blue dragon and lost odyessy that I personally enjoyed far more. In the end the combat system and weak characters couldn't compete with either of the above mentioned.

Jeez kusanagi dont take things so personally.
I know you didnt mean ps2 otherwise you would have mentioned it.
Youre right about your point, which is why i was facetiously pretending to be upset.

kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Oh, give me a break.

FF13 was not designed to appeal to western gamers. Look at western RPGs, they are big, open worlds with true freedom. FF and most JRPGs have false freedom and restricted worlds even if it feels open ended. If anything FF13 was designed to more appeal to Japanese gamers tastes by focuses on character development, story, and turn based battles. Oh and let's not forget cinematic flare, something western RPGs tend to sacrifice for expanding world detail and freedom. If it had been designed with western gamers in mind it would have featured real time combat, an optional first person mode, and a character designer.

Oh and the game was worked on as a PS3 exclusive for nearly all of it's development process. It wasn't until the game was nearly finished and they had already cut what they were going to cut and already had finalized what they were going to put in that the game was hastily ported to the 360. The 360 and the western market was an after thought. In fact I'd be willing to bet that the game was basically finished and was delayed for the port because Microsoft has a rule that all multiplatform games must be released on the same day or before other versions unless they contain extra features. FF13 was designed for Japan then localized and ported. That is all. It would have been the same game had it been PS3 exclusive and only released in Japan.

This is a blatant lie.

ff13 was actually primarily developed for ps2, which is why it was in development for so long, which is why it had to be multi-plat to recoup the dev losses, which is why there is an ff13-2, which is why versus is taking forever because they are trying to recoup losses with the same game that nobody really wants (well, I like it but still).

Also, I was just joking when I said it was a blatant lie.

Whether you were joking or not I don't care. What I said was "...the game was worked on as a PS3 exclusive for NEARLY all of it's development process."

Starting development as a PS2 game really doesn't matter since it would have, at that time, been a PS2 exclusive before moving to a PS3 exclusive before right at the end getting ported to 360. If anything it's further proof that the 360 had nothing to do with the fanboy complaints of FF13 because the 360 wasn't on the market when the game was outlined.

Your right about why it was moved to multiplatform. At this point in the industry it's just plain stupid for 3rd parties to make exclusive games without deals with the platform holders. FFversus13 should be multiplatform as well, and I expect it will be. Once a dev has a multiplatform engine, making an exclusive is like refusing money.

To Square Enix It was a "good business decision" 

Who knows how many dollars MS throw at SE to get the game multiplat, and how much marketing they spent on it. SE already admit that they cut a few content out from FFXIII. The thing is, we may never know the truth but I asure you, MS will not accept a maltiplat game that is superior in content on the competition, so it must be the same.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Maybe. Something fishy is definitely going on though. 13-2 improves upon 13 in every single aspect yet has a lower aggregate score on Metacritic. Just seems like critics are trying to beat down on the franchise every single opportunity they get.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
VGKing said:
Acevil said:
I don't think PS3 exclusive would have caused the Final Fantasy 13 to be any more different.

I think it would. The only reason FF went multiplatform is to cash in on the Xbox 360. For it to sell on the platform Square Enix tried to westernize the games.

If it was PS3 exclusive I doubt they'd try and westernize the game.

Nope, the idea was always there, before the 360 version. Infact Square Enix have been making number of mistakes for awhile, but I am not going to do this argument again and again. 

Only thing I can think would have been different if 360 version didn't exist, people would defend it and it might have got a easier pass, similar to how Final Fantasy 7 Compilations gets a pretty free pass from "fans". 

Thank you.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Can't believe you all forgot about this little piece of info.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/square-enix-cut-a-games-worth-of-content-from-final-fantasy-xii/

Considering the 360 version was already 3 discs, if you think the content was cut purely because they willed it or it was bad content, then you just have your fingers in your ears and got your reality filters in overdrive.

I bet OP never played a FF game before FFVII, since everyone knows that FF games that aren't exclusive to Sony consoles suck.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Slimebeast said:

In what way FF13 got westernized? To me it looks like an extremely Japanese game.

Well XIII-2 has too much freedom IMO.

People hated the linearity of XIII but I actually like it.

Frankly speaking (as a Xbox 360 user), to a certain extent I think the "possible" modifications they made to the game structure to accommodate the disc constraints might have caused FFXIII's linearity (to avoid messy disc changing I think?). Then again they were able to squeeze XIII-2 into a single disc (perhaps lessons were learnt).

Yet again other JRPGs were able to overcome the linearity problem he faced. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4. Multiple discs, without the linearity FFXIII faced through several ways to overcome the disc issue.

So yup, maybe the 360 caused it, but if SE actually tried to do something, then nope nothing like the linearity issue would have happened.