By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the Xbox 360 indirectly damage the Final Fantasy brand?

Tagged games:

I think SE was trying to westernize it so it could sell more over here. It wouldn't matter either which way if it was on the X360 or PS3 I still think they would have done it. I like XIII though...

Around the Network

If it did, that's another accomplishment for the 360 this gen.

Is there anything it can't do!

A year or two ago I would have said maybe but giving it much thought the answer is no. Square Enix failed this gen period, partially by favouring the 360, but mostly due to trying to cater to a Western audience and failing (Western audiences either want Skyrim, or Xenoblade Chronicles, not a hybrid).

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

disolitude said:

Yes, sell in Japan. XD Seriously though, I don't think XIII being bad (not in my opinion) is because of the 360.

Got nothing to do with the game being mediocre itself I suppose.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

I blame Sqeenix.

They've forgotten how to make good games.

I agree with happy that it was shortly after ff7, but will myself say it was specifically 8.
I love viii, but it is distinctly the same style that they're stuck in now.

I remeber even thinking when I got viii how much i disliked it. Took me a while to learn to like it, and then all the ones after were just too awful to even get used to over time.

Although, I really liked 12, and actually quite like 13, but it's missing a lot of things that is great about the franchise. Also the stories have been sucking in the recent games.

Iveyboi said:
A yea ror two ago I would have said maybe but giving it much thought the answer is no. Square Enxi failed this gen period, partially by favouring the 360, but mostly due to trying to cater to a Western audience and failing (Western audiences either want Skyrim, or Xenoblade Chronicles, not a hybrid).

it wasnt even a hybrid, I dont know what the hell it was, but it played very little like WRPGS or even most JRPGS

@OP, man you dont know what you're talking about. 1st off, MS was the one to approach SE about gettng the game on 360. 2nd The design decisions were made LONG before they even decided to go multiplat. So no 360 didnt hurt the brand. Funny how the  brand was not hurt when 11 was released on 360.

NintendoPie said:
disolitude said:

Yes, sell in Japan. XD Seriously though, I don't think XIII being bad (not in my opinion) is because of the 360.

haha...touche!

Yeah my post was being sarcastic, I'm not the biggest FF fan around here. In reality I think the proposed idea that 360 did something to FF is rediculous.

Yes and no. Final Fantasy 13-2 has very little FMV which use to be one of the draw points for me but I'm guessing (this is only a guess and my opinion) that they moved away from them to reduce the amount of discs needed to play (can't remember off the top of my head how many FF13 had 4-5?? I do own it on both systems , don't ask me why) and the fact that they seemed abit washed out on the Xbox aswell.

Saying that I do believe they are trying to get the western market and I feel had the balance right in FF10 but they lost it there after.

The way games are designed now is different than when I was young. After buying MGS HD collection I was amazed how the games never really forced you down certain paths nor held your hand, sure once you go down the right way the story continues but I found myself lost in points  I only use this as a example as back at the original release I thought it felt quite linear and easy and the fact it wasn't released that far ago. Point is games are too easy and linear anyway so it that term it's not xbox or ps fault

Another point is there is not that many secrets and or exploration in FF these days. FF world use to be open where you could explore any/most areas from early in the game (wether you could survive was another story) with tonnes of extras and although the stuff you found may not be exciting they was a since of maybe I collect a set of X it would give me Y etc (it makes sence in my head)

Still I am enjoying FF13-2 and enjoyed FF13 enough to platinum it. I think everyone should read the post about how Zelda isn't as good as it was (can't remember the actual name) but feel some of the points relates to all games these days

In what way FF13 got westernized? To me it looks like an extremely Japanese game.