By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamespot: Is handheld gaming doomed?

kitler53 said:
HappySqurriel said:

As much as I'm convinced that smart-phones will be around for a long time, I'm not convinced that gaming on smart phones will advance much past flash games replacements for quite some time ...

At the moment a 3DS or PS-Vita game will generate about 10 2 to 20 times as much revenue per unit sold as the typical pay to play smartphone game, and the pay to play smartphone game will generate about 10 to 20 times as much revenue per unit as the typical ad-supported game. This means to generate the same revenue as a 3DS game that sells 100,000 units you would need to have 1 to 2 Million people pay for it on smart phones, or 10 to 40 Million people play an ad supported version of it. This level of revenue is by no means all that high, and I'm willing to bet that the 3DS in its short life already has more games that have passed this level than smartphones have in the past 5 years.

While I believe that the growth of smartphones in the developing world will eventually lead to smart-phones being able to support a large number of Nintendo DS or PSP quality games based on current buisness models, unless you see a dramatic shift in the business models of app developers there will be a huge market for higher-end content for both the 3DS and PS-Vita (and their successors).

Dead space/infinity blade II on iphone sells for $7.

escape plan for vita sells for $15.

..now granted it's probably one of the best performances but infinity blade made $23M in revenue.  translate that back to a $40 3DS/vita game and you are looking at ~575k in full price sales.  a far cry from mario kart but far more then most 3DS/vita games and no doubt will a lot less dev time. 

the fact is though that the average price of iphone games has gone up a lot since the first days on the platform.  the games are a lot shinier too.  I'm probably going to get a vita but i really really reeeaaally doubt that in 5 year or whatever that a next gen is suppose to be starting that i'll be willing to fork so much a $1 to a dedicated gaming device.  a device that limited is just barely acceptable now imo...

I think this demonstrates my point though ...

In its lifetime the Nintendo DS had 258 games that sold more than 500,000 units (the 3DS already has 10) and a rare exception on the iPhone is able to generate similar revenues primarily by increasing the price of their product far beyond what most games can sell for. If the market changes and most consumers demonstrate willingness to pay $10 to $20 for games regularly on their smartphone it is possible that the dedicated handheld gaming devices will be threatened by these smartphones but, being that the main argument for these devices is that "games only cost $1", I'm not convinced this will happen on a wide enough scale.

Around the Network

I don't know. I do know ND looks about 20 in that picture.

I really don't see it happening. A game like Mario Kart would be unplayable on a touch screen, I wouldn't even want to play the original Super Mario Bros. with a touchscreen phone.

This is similar to the motion control debate, some type of games are perfect for touchscreen controls while others will always require classic controllers just like certain genres greatly benefit from motion controls while others just don't work with them.

Signature goes here!

Khuutra said:
Completely original Mario Kart game on Android, iOS or equivalent by March of 2016. Be there!

So u perdict that Nintendo will publish games outside of their own hardware that soon?

Why March 2016?

Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:
Completely original Mario Kart game on Android, iOS or equivalent by March of 2016. Be there!

So u perdict that Nintendo will publish games outside of their own hardware that soon?

Why March 2016?

No, I actually think the idea is preposterous.

Around the Network

i think it is vita dying not the handheld market all together.

nintendo is king in that market gamespot should know better by now

who didn't see this coming , sony was lucky enough last gen to get what it got it still got out sold 2 to 1 by the end ,

and w 3ds outselling vita 5 to 1 in japan there is no doubt in my mind sony better start getting games or else the same happens here

BasilZero said:
Handheld gaming will never be doomed, no matter how much people may want it to be.

You don't think phones and tablets will completely take over?

It was when I got my Galaxy S2 that I realised smart phones in their current state offer no real competition to the handheld market. The game don't compare, in any possible way. If you try to incite that smart phones are a threat to the 3DS and Vita then you have to concede they're also a threat to home consoles - but no one does that, cause we get that it doesn't make any sense.

Yes there might be people who played the DS tetris on their commute to work and now don't need a 3DS to do that, but I don't think that's ever been an integral part to Nintendo or Sony's software sales model. Conversely I think they could quick play on the psychology that people play these games on their phones, then Sony come and market to them "Hey we have better handheld games" and they 'upgrade' from the Smart phone to Vita, or something.

I just don't believe anyone who plays a lot of PS3, or Wii, or DS, or whatever can play iPhone games and not just want to get a dedicated handheld. It's the whole casual market that things maybe become a bit more blurry, but give how they too to the Wii and DS I don't see any worries.

Long live the Vita and handheld gaming in general!

BasilZero said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
BasilZero said:
Handheld gaming will never be doomed, no matter how much people may want it to be.

You don't think phones and tablets will completely take over?

I doubt this will happen, more than likely, they'll be two different markets.

Hmm I doubt it man. In five years (or less) what will handhelds be able to do that a phone or tablet can't do? 

I'm willing to make a very long bet with you. :)