By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Post Great 90s Music

TruckOSaurus said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

May You Die A Horrible Death For Including That Song In A Great 90's Music List!!!!!!!   :P

Be careful, I've got many more I can post! In fact, I think you've earned this:

I'm blue!

Around the Network

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XE1XRiLeY
Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)

Primus - Tommy The Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8

This band is so good that they can't be bothered to do "serious" music.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

One thing I do not like about today's music is the lack of rock music in mainstream music . Stuff like Bon Jovi, and Guns N roses used to be as popular as any mainstream band in the late 80's and early 90's and then Nirvana was huge and then it never got as big you had many other bands staying popular till the early 2000's.

Listening to this one now:

Radiohead - No Surprises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqkgpHnp7Tg&feature=related

Also the Backstreet Boys were everyone's guilty pleasure!

Around the Network

Anything by Pearl Jam

Sorry, I'm not too interested in this thread because i know there's going to be tons of Nirvana posted...and I absolutely hate Nirvana. Best thing Kobain ever did was put a shotgun in his mouth and pull the trigger, because it allowed Dave Grohl to start the Foo Fighters.

Marks said:
 Sorry, I'm not too interested in this thread because i know there's going to be tons of Nirvana posted...and I absolutely hate Nirvana. Best thing Kobain ever did was put a shotgun in his mouth and pull the trigger, because it allowed Dave Grohl to start the Foo Fighters.

With fucked up socio-pathic comments like yours, I'm forced to wonder just what sort of sick things your parents did to you?

Anyway, on the topic. If there is anything that the 90's brought, it was a line-up of high caliber singers not seen in any other decade. in particular, there was Mariah Carey who mastered a 5 octave vocal range - which is WAY higher than any other singer has ever achieved. A lot of it has to do with deformed vocal chords. Not only did she have the range, but she had insane singing talent, and had belts that only top opera singers could rival. She wasn't without rival though, there was also Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Luciano Pavarotti, Sarah Brightman, and Andrea Bocelli... Although none of these singers could match Mariah's vocal range. One other thing about Mariah was that none of her rivals played original music. Mariah writes all of her lyrics (except for covers), and co-composes all pieces, and has produced much of her own work. As a singer, I think Mariah Carey between 1990 and 1994 was perhaps the greatest singer in the history of recorded music. I wasn't as much of a fan of her later stuff that, while revolutionary, was not the flavour I enjoyed. That is why all of the songs below are from 1990 to 1992 (although the three live performances I believe are all 1993); Without You is a reimagined version of a 1970's song, and in my opinion, far superior to the original. The song Make it Happen is an autobiographical piece describing hardships in her early life - she was kicked out of home in High School when her mother remarried, and she barely scraped by until her Cinderella-storylike discovery; when she shoved a demo tape into the hands of a record producer at a party, and he listened to two of her songs, and was blown away; when he returned to the party, she had already left - but he eventuallyfound her - and the two eventually married (although it was Tommy Motolla, who became about as evil as they come according to Michael Jackson, so the story was like a fairytale at first, then a nightmare =P).

I also really enjoyed rap tunes in the 90's, I felt that it was in this decade that rap really hit its peak, and then after the deaths of Biggie and Tupac, there was really only Eminem, which was similar, but very watered down. I am talking about Tupac's early stuff for the most part; his first two albums are his two most underrated albums, they came out in 1991 and 1993; but it was his 95 album All Eyes on Me that really got him to the top. I think most people already know his big post-95 songs, so I will focus on his earlier songs that focus on stories of his own experiences with poverty. This is the era that Changes came from. While his hits Changes, Dear Mama, and Ghetto Gospel are the ones that often get praised for their moving lyrics, I personally think the song Keep Ya Head Up by Tupac is the most emotionally moving song that has ever come out of the rap genre.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

" Sorry, I'm not too interested in this thread because i know there's going to be tons of Nirvana posted...and I absolutely hate Nirvana. Best thing Kobain ever did was put a shotgun in his mouth and pull the trigger, because it allowed Dave Grohl to start the Foo Fighters."

Considering Nirvana is now one of the most respected bands of recent times, you sir have a Minority Opinion!

Foo Fighters are great, Learn To fly and Everlong are recent classics.

Jumpin said:
Marks said:

With fucked up socio-pathic comments like yours, I'm forced to wonder just what sort of sick things your parents did to you?

I was touched by my Uncle Doug back when I was 7. 

Here are a few more songs that were really big back in the 90's:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.