By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most disappointing video game sequels?

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:

Scough! The soundtrack was awesome! Or maybe at least to my 6 year old mind...

I actually hated the DS Version. XD

Wow, really? Damn, opinions sure are a wicked phenomenon! xP

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
NintendoPie said:

Scough! The soundtrack was awesome! Or maybe at least to my 6 year old mind...

I actually hated the DS Version. XD

Wow, really? Damn, opinions sure are a wicked phenomenon! xP

Yup, that is why we are all weird in our own ways. ^o^

Tales of Symphonia - Dawn of the New World

Whoever came up with those stupid characters, the story and this abysmal monster system should burn in hell.
Richter was the only at least DECENT character, but the rest... Urgh...

I still don't get why Nintendo got the worst "Tales of" I ever played while Microsoft got the best one...

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
Mario Kart Wii, Dash was way better, Ninty dumbed down the gameplay to the point where anyone could win, it was essentially a party game on wheels. It was a good move for mass appeal, but it feels like you get punished for being better than the others. IMHO

Actually, the game did the opposite. It revealed how bad certain players are. The people who are good at the game show consistently good results. Everyone who said that MK Wii is a luck lottery has been challenged to a game here on VGC. They either got trounced or refused to show up (usually the latter, because they probably knew that they were talking crap). Not a single one of the guys who claimed that MK Wii lets everyone win could win. It wasn't even a contest, even though those people thought that they were good at the game.

Not so different from COD, you can pick up a controller and still feel like a badass despite never playing the game.    Thats how i feel about MKWii, they made it more accessable so anyone could pick up and play. Thats not a bad thing, i feel they sacrificed some strategy when they did that, so i prefer DD. of course if someone who has played the game for hours on end versus someone who hasnt, thats for any type of game cept the board games(mario parties)

lestatdark said:
oniyide said:
lestatdark said:
oniyide said:
lestatdark said:
TruckOSaurus said:
hatmoza said:
Death to the person who says Chrono Cross!

My pick is Uncharted 3.

Thanks for reminding me!!!

Chrono Cross. It was an okay RPG but with many issues, it's not worthy of the Chrono name. When you're expected the follow-up the Chrono Trigger you can't help but feel terribly disappointed.

Indeed. It would have been a good RPG if it was a stand alone IP, but coming off CT and it's impact, it was a massive disappointment. The fact that they put the entire plot of CT and Radical Dreamers as a "Oh it happened on a Parallel Dimension, so we can mess up with this as much as we want" was not a good move.

Well to be fair, isnt that essentially just like all FFs? Just a parallel dimension after the next?? Hell i think even BOF went that route with number 4

Not exactly, there is no connection between FFs (numbered FFs) basically because each one is a standalone game and universe.

FFs aren't sequels from one or the other, while Chrono Cross was made with the purpose of being a sequel to Chrono Trigger and ended up botching that entirely. Not only that, Chrono Cross was an immense departure from Trigger in the gameplay department as well, for the worse; while CT was a fast, fluid and well constructed RPG with some good and inovative mechanics for the time, Cross was basically a very slow turn based RPG which had no unique characteristic to it.

I honestly do not remember, Square saying it was a sequel, I had just assumed that it was its own standalone game just like the FFs, so I was personally not let down in that department, you're right about the combat

It wasn't a direct sequel, even both Kato and Tanaka said they didn't want to make a Chrono Trigger 2. The problem was that they still utilized lore elements from Trigger to put some heavy emphasis on the plot of Cross as well, so it became a mix-up of some sorts (like the vision that Serge has with Chrono, Marle and Lucca and a whole lot of fuck ups with Lavos and the Time Devourer).

I believe they fell somewhere in between of making a sequel and making a standalone game and didn't quite knew where to go with it.

yeah i could see how that would be frustrating, i just went in and pretended it didnt have much to do with CT, I wasnt so let down, but as a JRPG its just good

Around the Network
Blast Caliber said:

Whoever came up with those stupid characters, the story and this abysmal monster system should burn in hell.

I still don't get why Nintendo got the worst "Tales of" I ever played while Microsoft got the best one...

One moneyhatted and another didnt??

oniyide said:
Blast Caliber said:

One moneyhatted and another didnt??

I know that MS "moneyhatted", but this doesn't explain why DotNW was THIS bad. There was nothing that prevented Namco from doing a good job with DotNW.

Reading some of these posts really disqusted me ...what is wrong with you people

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
RolStoppable said:

Actually, the game did the opposite. It revealed how bad certain players are. The people who are good at the game show consistently good results. Everyone who said that MK Wii is a luck lottery has been challenged to a game here on VGC. They either got trounced or refused to show up (usually the latter, because they probably knew that they were talking crap). Not a single one of the guys who claimed that MK Wii lets everyone win could win. It wasn't even a contest, even though those people thought that they were good at the game.

Not so different from COD, you can pick up a controller and still feel like a badass despite never playing the game.    Thats how i feel about MKWii, they made it more accessable so anyone could pick up and play. Thats not a bad thing, i feel they sacrificed some strategy when they did that, so i prefer DD. of course if someone who has played the game for hours on end versus someone who hasnt, thats for any type of game cept the board games(mario parties)

But that isn't what I said. I was only talking about people who all had played the game for a good amount of time with the only difference being that one group is actually good while the others believe they are good and only lose due to bad luck and randomness. When put to the test, the wannabes got exposed for being the crappy players they actually are. And of course, that only made them hate the game more, because the truth hurts.

Ill take your word for it, I played for a while, didnt feel it, went back to DD

Blast Caliber said:

wait what?? do you mean this gen?

imo Tales of symphonia 1 was the best "tales of"game last gen and that was on the gamecube

and atleast wii and 360 fans actually got a "tales of" this gen because ps3 fans STILL have not gotten a "Tales Of" this gen(excluding japan)

im glad that Tales of graces f is right around the corner though

:)