By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGStockz: General Questions

happydolphin said:
Update
In this past week, THQ's stock has dropped from 3.5 to a 2.75 share value. Since the end of august roughly 1.5 months ago the stock dropped from a value of 5$/share to 2.75, dropping almost to half its value.

There is little hope in sight for the stock. Next date, Nov 5th 2012, when THQ reports its financials for 2nd quarter of fiscal 2013. Get your popcorn ready...

Will THQ ever recover? I thought Darksiders 2 did well.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Will THQ ever recover? I thought Darksiders 2 did well.

I'm not sure Farsala.

Last July, their stock was worth .57 dollars a share, and on the 9th the stock was reverse-split 10 to 1 to 5.50$ a share. Now, the stock's value is getting closer to becoming a penny stock again after the reverse-split. When that happens I believe there is no saving the stock, they will have to get out of the stock market.

Darksiders II sold a little over a million units (assuming digital sales), which is right around what its predecessor sold according to vgchartz, but the numbers for the original on PS3 amount to 0, which makes no sense. Overall the 2nd one seems to have sold the same if not less than its predecessor, so for a new series that should grow from one installment to the next, especially with sales of around 1mil, it's not looking so healthy. It isn't bad, but it isn't great (enough to save them).

This post might give you some answers:

RVDondaPC said:
happydolphin said:
Ail said:

They have no strong in company IP.

Whereas even if TTWO totally failed with their next releases their IP alone provide a good floor for the stock price ( GTA + Red Dead Redemption + BioShock + Borderlands together would be worth close to 1 billion$ in a fire sale..)

That's a good point. Darksiders is their strongest IP, and it needs good flooring by other IPs, so that says alot. I have hope that Jason Rubin can bolster THQ's IPs, but on the short term the stock looks bleak.

THQ will go bankrupt in the early years of the next generation of consoles if they don't establish a new homerun IP. They are essentially a distribution channel for developers/IP holders in an industry which developers no longer need to rely on a company with a big established distribution channel. They have no real value and their attempt to create new IP that they own is too little too late, I think. Their only IP is Saints Row, Company of Heroes(Which I loved), Red Faction, Homefront and Darksiders. I'd say only Saints Row and Company of Heroes has any real value though. You never know maybe they'll create the next big franchise, but I wouldn't put a dollar on that stock. Fingers crossed Metro: Last Light is well received. 

I don't think they will recover.

Hate to say I told you so but THQ is down 47% so far today.......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Oh my Gawd. It's abysmal.

Ail said:
Hate to say I told you so but THQ is down 47% so far today.......

And thats with a reverse stock split, my bankruptcy annoucement may be a couple months off ( I predicted sometime this fall) but not far off.

Around the Network

THQ shares collapse after game delays, "Darksiders" letdown

SAN FRANCISCO | Tue Nov 6, 2012 11:32am EST

(Reuters) - THQ Inc (THQI.O) lost almost half its market value on Tuesday after the struggling videogames publisher delayed a raft of marquee titles, warned of a growing need for new capital, and admitted its "Darksiders II" had undershot expectations.

Shares in the company, which is trimming staff and considering alternatives to try and relieve a potential capital crunch, plunged as much as 46 percent in their biggest single-day loss in years.

On Monday, executives said they were pushing back the release of key titles such as its "South Park" game that were not ready for primetime - a postponement that increases the company's need for capital. It is weighing options and executives did not outline them nor take questions on a Monday post-earnings conference call.

The company has suspended earnings guidance and withdrawn its previous outlook for fiscal 2013.

THQ sold just 1.4 million units of action-adventure game "Darksiders" since its August launch, far short of a break-even target of 2 million. The game's disappointment comes with Microsoft's (MSFT.O) "Halo 4" and Activision Blizzard's (ATVI.O) "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2," launching this month, expected to dominate holiday sales.

THQ's stock, suspended from after-hours trading on Monday, plunged 42 percent to $1.74 in morning trading.

(Reporting By Edwin Chan; Editing by Maureen Bavdek)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=THQI&ql=1

I believe $1.58 puts them below, once again, the $2 mark needed to remain on the NASDAQ. So, if they remain at that total for...I think it was a month or so?...then they'll be removed from it. Grim tidings indeed.

They claimed that 1.4m copies of Darksiders were sold. For most companies, that would probably be a fairly good haul, but it was below expectations. That alone said a lot about their financial situation.

What kind of sick break-even target is 2m sales for a Darksiders? No wonder they're dying.

CChaos said:

I believe $1.58 puts them below, once again, the $2 mark needed to remain on the NASDAQ. So, if they remain at that total for...I think it was a month or so?...then they'll be removed from it. Grim tidings indeed.

They claimed that 1.4m copies of Darksiders were sold. For most companies, that would probably be a fairly good haul, but it was below expectations. That alone said a lot about their financial situation.

That price includes a 1 for 10 reverse split, its current share price is really 16 cents

Train wreck said:
CChaos said:

That price includes a 1 for 10 reverse split, its current share price is really 16 cents

Wow. Not really sure what else I can say to that except...well, ouch.

Well, if they tank, let's hope the people there find new jobs and the IPs go somewhere worthwhile.