By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yoda and Darth Vader in Soul Calibur 4

Honestly I've been waiting for this game ever since Soul Calibur 2, i was so pissed when SC3 was a ps2 exclusive. anyway even without yoda or dv i still think soul calibur is the best fighting game out there, yes i think its better than virtua fighter. what im wondering now is are they going to get rid of those old inferno boss battles and make you fight yoda?

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Around the Network
Definitely a smart move by Namco. Extra character won't destroy this game no matter how poor or weird it is. Fans would buy this game even with Bambi. On the other hand Sith/Jedi definitely will attract some fans of SW and kids in general. They should create a tv spot with DV - "If you only knew the power of the dark side". Cool.

I'm glad we (PS3 owners) are getting Vader.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Hey bod, how is it being Bod?

I actually didnt like Link in SC2 - he felt a bit deplaced. so im not that much looking forward to star wars in sc.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

BrainBoxLtd said:

What the hell is Smash Bros then? Or Mario and Sonic and the Olympics? Or Alien Vs. Predator? Or Shaq Fu? Or even Robocop Vs. Terminator?

What were they then? False starts? =P 

All of those make actual sense on some level or another, or at least drastically more sense than STAR WARS characters in Soul Caliber.

If Soul Caliber didn't have a very distinct story, it might not have been an issue, but it DOES have a story which has always been followed throughout the games.

It's been my experience that crossovers are typically the end of the line for a series, when the sales have fallen to the point where throwing the storyline out the window doesn't even matter. This pangs of exactly that.

Honestly, Batman vs. Godzilla makes more sense than this as they both involve Earth. The SC universe is one filled with medieval fantasy and magic. The Star Wars universe is filled with advanced technology and intergalactic warfare, hence the name "STAR Wars". The two mix together about as well as milk and pickle juice.

I'm glad I wasn't a SC fan, otherwise I'd have been absolutely pissed about this. As it stands, I can just laugh at it and move on.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Smash_Brother said:
Ladies and gentlemen, the shark has been jumped.

Soul Caliber 5, featuring Optimus Prime, Predator, Frodo Baggins and Chuck Norris!

I'm suddenly exceedingly glad my like of Star Wars died with Episodes 1-3 and my like of Soul Caliber died with 2.

I would order two copie of any fighting game with Chuck Norris in it, just for fear that the first disc might melt in my optical drive from sheer awesomeness.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
It's funny. There seem to be just as many (if not more) people insulted and turned off by this as there are who like it. The ones who like it seem to be the ones who never liked SC in the first place, and were hoping for a lightsaber battle fighting game (which it turned out was impossible). I'm all for a lightsaber battle fighting game. I think it would be extremely awesome to make one (especially if they made it for all 3 one), but I still think this is just plain stupid. It really does make both Lucasarts and Namco look ridiculous.

Not necessarily. I played the shit out of SC on the Dreamcast and this intrigues me.

I'd also like to point out that if Yoda and Vader are actually in the storyline of SC4, that's pretty lame.

If they're unlockable characters you use in freeplay, cool. But they shouldn't actually be a part of the single player "campaign" (or whatever they call the story mode in fighters).

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would be upset if the characters are just unlockable and available in free play.

They are part of the plot... you saw the video didn't you? And yes, it was cheesey, stupid, and ridiculous. The only possible redeeming factor to this would have been to have them both in 1 version for lightsaber battles, and they threw that away.

I just watched the video again and it certainly does look as if they are part of the plot.

I take back anything nice I said about this game. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I don't understand why people like this idea.

I could see this working if SC was intended to be a "crossover" series like SSB or KoF, but it isn't: it has its own storyline and its own unique cast of characters with different backgrounds.

So you like Star Wars and SC? That's great and all, but one of the reasons I used to like both Soul Caliber and Star Wars was the integrity of the storylines involved, and that includes the characters as well.

When you pull a stunt like this, you violate that integrity, and the game might as well just toss all this bullshit about the "two swords" out the window and admit that it's just a 3D KoF clone which focuses on weapon-based combat instead of hand to hand.

On the flipside, Star Wars, with what little integrity the story has left after Episodes 1-3, makes absolutely no sense in either involvement or timeline.

However, if there's one thing WoW has shown me, it's that writers will sodomize and murder their own story and characters if there's enough money involved and I can't help but see this as being exactly the case here. If necessary, they'll invent piles of bullshit reasons for why we're supposed to believe the canonically impossible is all of a sudden possible.

And what happens when a storyline is abandoned by its creators in favor of a cash-in like this? No one cares anymore. When nothing is consequential in the storyline and nothing coheres, it's no longer interesting. It's like when Highlander 2 tried to explain that there are still more Highlanders who "didn't count" at the time but they do now so the lead character didn't actually earn the "quickening" after all. Or like how, in DBZ, no one ever stays dead because they're wished back to life later. Or how every X-men member has "died" once or twice but always come back.

There's always a hardcore group who will pay attention regardless, but a lot of your audience will just stop caring.

If the creators don't even take their work seriously, why should I?

I'm sure Namco will profit in the short run by the sheer number of greasy Star Wars fans out there who will buy both versions of the game, but SC5 will have to one up this one by doing something like bringing in Wolverine, Optimus Prime and Predator, otherwise it won't have the same impact and will be perceived as boring.

Like I said earlier, the shark has been jumped. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

That's pretty sweet...I'd love to play the game just to see how these guys fight against regular SC people. I don't have a system to play this game, but if I did, I'd probably buy this hehe. I'm not gonna go crazy just cause it's Star Wars characters...but hell, it's a selling point.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Its a great marketing move, but doesn't have me anymore excited for the game - probably less. I can just imagine moves now where you hit the opponent with a lightsabre 10 times in a second - and they are still standing.

Its *supposed* to be a instant-kill weapon, something that severs limbs (yes you can argue this about swords too?), and I very much doubt they have this implemented as such...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099