By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony on Vita sales: "we do not think we have any problems"

In related news the captain of the Titanic announced that everything was fine.

Seriously the Vita is in trouble in Japan. This is PR talk at a ridiculous level.

Basically they have avoided talking about it because up to their report they only need to discuss the first 3 weeks that while not astounding were perfectly fine. He can just ignore the next 3/4 weeks.

The vita is probably going to have similar troubles in Europe. I imagine a VERY strong launch (well these days what console doesn't?) but then very low sales. In the Uk getting a PS Vita with the necessary memory card and a bundled Uncharted game is £270. That is also the cheaper wi-fi only model. In comparison you can get a 320gb PS3 with Uncharted 3 and a movie for £230.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

Those saying PlayStation is dead. I do not think it is, I.personally think Sony needs to change its priorities. With PS4 Sony should aim simply to outperform nextbox by a very small margin. Sony's PSOne was less powerful then its.competitors and PS2 was slightly more powerful then Dream cast. PSP, PS3 and PSVita all three are super powers and guess what all three struggled. Even PS3's recovery came at such a high financial cost it wasn't worth it.

PS4 should launch at a profit. Sony should focus entirely on finances and software sales. PSVita should and likely will be the last handheld dedicated console Sony will use PlayStation for future phones instead of another handheld.

If Sony can release a profitable piece of hardware at launch with software support then Sony can return the PlayStation brand to long term sustainability. Let me ask what good did that cell processor do Sony financially? None it didn't even get PS3 a superior market share. All that money Sony threw at it and it did very little good.

For PS4 I think it should be a standard classic system. No Kinetic knock off no tablet just a regular PS3 controller. Maybe add some of the Vita's hardware like the touch pad. The console on par power wise with nextbox but sold 50$ cheaper. This way Sony turns a much larger profit then Microsoft and likely Nintendo all while having the graphical power of their greatest competitor. Sony can use its software and slight graphical edge to compete.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
Those saying PlayStation is dead. I do not think it is, I.personally think Sony needs to change its priorities. With PS4 Sony should aim simply to outperform nextbox by a very small margin. Sony's PSOne was less powerful then its.competitors and PS2 was slightly more powerful then Dream cast. PSP, PS3 and PSVita all three are super powers and guess what all three struggled. Even PS3's recovery came at such a high financial cost it wasn't worth it.

PS4 should launch at a profit. Sony should focus entirely on finances and software sales. PSVita should and likely will be the last handheld dedicated console Sony will use PlayStation for future phones instead of another handheld.

If Sony can release a profitable piece of hardware at launch with software support then Sony can return the PlayStation brand to long term sustainability. Let me ask what good did that cell processor do Sony financially? None it didn't even get PS3 a superior market share. All that money Sony threw at it and it did very little good.

For PS4 I think it should be a standard classic system. No Kinetic knock off no tablet just a regular PS3 controller. Maybe add some of the Vita's hardware like the touch pad. The console on par power wise with nextbox but sold 50$ cheaper. This way Sony turns a much larger profit then Microsoft and likely Nintendo all while having the graphical power of their greatest competitor. Sony can use its software and slight graphical edge to compete.

Those things are possible if... if Sony changes its culture. To my recollection they have never launched a console which made a profit.

The reason why many are woried about the PS brand is that the new CEO of Sony comes from  within. The previous guy was brought in form outside to break-up Sony internal culture. Kaz hasn't mentioned any changes from Sony's normal Mode of operation...

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

okay "very good"
the kudaragiken era never return
sigh

Yah Ken was not likely the best choice. Sony needs to change its business model entirely it cannot continue to compete by brute force over powering competitors. Sony's PlayStation brand needs to change like I said above. Then Sony needs to streamline its branches.

Example new Sony movies should use Sony music at all times.paying cheaper resources while promoting its artists. Sony games.should also use Sony's music. Sony should utilize its great game resources by making film adaptations. Make sure Sony's future hardware has all of Sony's media available for cheaper then competitors hardware. With Sony hardware getting exclusive content.

Sony needs to release some.of those innovative ground breaking products. Like the foldable tablet I saw Sony showing a year ago. Sony needs to release a HEU Home Entertainment Unit a smart TV with a built in PS4 and all the features of a smart phone including land line phone capabilities with video chat using the built in camera.

Sony needs to reduce the amount of hardware being released each year. Trim off all nonessential staff close any bad

-JC7

Around the Network

Either they're delusional or they had very low expectations to begin with. Neither of those options gives me much hope, that they'll get through the bad situation they're in right now.

Studios film and game. Sony could also out source production of many products. Personally I do not.think Sony should sell off any of.its branches they just need to restructure them and change direction. Sony could also benefit by licensing out products in any countries Sony doesn't operate in.

-JC7

I live in the USA and I pre-ordered a PS Vita yesterday. And I noticed the 3 bundles are moving up Amazon's top selling in video games list. One in the top 20, one in the top 30 and one in the top 40...and all are moving up the list. So that is a good sign. 

I will likely be purchasing a Nintendo 3DS, but not until the new design comes out, which I assume will have two slide pads.

It will be very interesting to see their response in July/August (or around then), hopefully it takes off really well, but all indications suggest it won't .. will they just desperately crawl into the holidays where sales will naturally rise, or price cut?

Kaz has said they're aiming for profit next FY, so I don't know how a Vita and PS3 price cut plan into that ...

maverick40 said:
Wait until it releases world wide before making any kind of judgement.

This gen alone, not to mention this past year should tell everyone that nothing should be fully judged until after a device has at least had a holiday season.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!