By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Games Working On Killzone 4, New IP and Killzone PS Vita Rumored.

Millenium said:
Megh, I'd rather have them fully move onto another IP than work on KZ4.

Totally agree, I generally feel that 3 games is enough with most series (apart from something like FF where is more a brand than a series)

Having said that, I do like the games, while I am not sure about the tone, the shooting is just lovely and the last level in particular had some good ideas in the last KZ game, but I feel that they would be better off taking the weightyness of the game into a more interesting setting. And anyway, why do all futuristic games have to be depressing?

Around the Network

i loved Killzone 2 but never cared for KZ3, intact i haven't even completed it.. i may delete the save and start all over again

All the killzone games were incredible. I cannot wait to see what they are working on.

I'm sure they will make a Killzone for psv just as they are doing with all Sony's big IP's and judging by how far they pushed the ps3 hardware for killzone 2/3 I would love to see them make the 4th on Sony's next gen console.

BasilZero said:
Dr.Grass said:

Nintendo releases a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid only once or twice per gen. 

If Guerilla makes a completely new IP then it doesn't mean that they are throwing away Killzone. I rather think it would be better to release (some of) the established franchises once overy 3/4 years and work on original stuff the rest of the time.

Since when are Sony throwing away old IP's? The fact that they are building an impressive catalogue of franchises slowly over time is a massive strength of the PS brand.

For instance, there hasn't been a new Jak and Daxter game this gen, but it is very possible that they release one for the PS4 along with a new Uncharted. A team like Naughty dog (since they have 2 teams now) can do the following (for instance):

2013,  New Jak and Daxter(PS4 launch game)

2014, Original IP (PS4)

2015, New Uncharted (PS4)

2016, New The Last of Us (PS4)

Now doesn't that look like a promising plan? It incorporates both existing IP's and original one's as well. 

Sure, it looks promising, but Jak 4 is still unconfirmed and so is a Uncharted 4 (not saying they wont ever be released).

I'm talking about the many other game series they threw away that could of helped software sales in terms of first party titles from old fans (since many people would be hyped to know a game they loved and played in the past would get a new installment - pretty much how Nintendo's been successful with their franchises):

Few examples:

-Crash Bandicoot (sold)
-Spyro the Dragon (sold)
-Dark Cloud
-Arc the Lad
-Legend of Dragoon
-Wild Arms

Like I said before its fine that they make new IPs, I'm up for it, but they should try to get Wild Arms/Legend of Dragoon/Arc the Lad back in shape so they can have a strong RPG especially in the Japan area. Selling Crash/Spyro was a mistake, they could of kept the franchise, kept it in frozen for a couple of years and than made new games rather than selling them to people who tarnished the history of those games.

The titles mentioned above would especially help them in the twilight years of the PS3 while they prep themselves for the PS4 with new IPs and late 2000s IPs.

- Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon was never owned by Sony

There were ENDLESS JRPG's in the PSOne era...

Wild Arms was a solid game and was received well. 

Arc the Lad wasn't released outside Japan until 2002

Dark Cloud had two iterations and was well received

Legend of Dragoon has a ton of fanfare, even though it had a mixed reception and only released very late in the PSOne's life.

So there you have 4 good to great games spread out over 2 generations.  Are you saying that Sony have made a cardinal mistake by not continuing these franchises (as of yet)? Nintendo didn't release a Metroid on the N64 AT ALL, there was ONE Mario game on the N64 and ONE on the Gamecube...

Not to mention that from the above list only Dark Cloud has assets and resources even remotely close to what is required for current gen consoles. For the other games there is basically only a story, characters, battle design and progression. Is it really wise to cash in on a name like Legend of Dragoon in the same way Square has done with its Final Fantasy?

Is it really wise to assume that a gamer with his attachment to memories past truly knows what should be done with ''million dollar IP'S'' ? Nintendo certainly have a successful model, but they have many more years behind them than Sony, and to establish a spectrum of franchises takes serious time.

I think Sony are doing well.

EDIT: Unfortunately the resources required to produce an RPG has increased manyfold.

Around the Network

Killzone 4 would be an excellent PS4 launch title.

osamanobama said:
IEATBABIES said:
I hope they make the multiplayer like Killzone 2. We all know how Killzone 3 turned out : /

yep, awesome!!!!

great class based multiplayer, with a nice reward system that had you level up and unlock stuff.

perfectly balanced classes and guns.

awesome mech suits and jet packs.

agreed.

Dunno what you guys are arguing about tbh :S you do realize the article mentions KZ4 AND a new ip right? Most likely they expanded a bit and now are doing two titles at once just like ND

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Sorry but Killzone is dead after Killzone 2,and they are continuing in the wrong direction with this game.
Killzone 2 was one step closer to the concept, Killzone 3 was miles off they do not seem to learn from their actions at Guerilla...

Dr.Grass said:
BasilZero said:
Dr.Grass said:
BasilZero said:
Nice to know their continuing the series and not dumping it like Insomniac did with Resistance.

Some of us would much prefer an original IP. You can't tell me your attached to the characters or story can you? So what's the point? They can always resurrect it later.

The same point why Nintendo's been successful with their own franchises.

Either ways, I've never played Killzone except for Liberation on PSP and it was awful lol.

Just stating maybe the reason why their franchises arent as appealing as Nintendo's is because people arent accustomed to their franchises because Sony makes a new IP and throws away old IPs every 5-6 years.

(Not saying its a bad thing to make new IPs, just putting aside old franchises and making new ones all the time pretty much takes them back to the drawing board)

Nintendo releases a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid only once or twice per gen. 

If Guerilla makes a completely new IP then it doesn't mean that they are throwing away Killzone. I rather think it would be better to release (some of) the established franchises once overy 3/4 years and work on original stuff the rest of the time.

Since when are Sony throwing away old IP's? The fact that they are building an impressive catalogue of franchises slowly over time is a massive strength of the PS brand.

For instance, there hasn't been a new Jak and Daxter game this gen, but it is very possible that they release one for the PS4 along with a new Uncharted. A team like Naughty dog (since they have 2 teams now) can do the following (for instance):

2013,  New Jak and Daxter(PS4 launch game)

2014, Original IP (PS4)

2015, New Uncharted (PS4)

2016, New The Last of Us (PS4)

Now doesn't that look like a promising plan? It incorporates both existing IP's and original one's as well. 

A Mario game once or twice per gen? You serious?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!