By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tell 3rd parties what games they SHOULD be making on WII

I couldn't sleep.  I just kept thinking about recent threads like bruceongames and the one about the Codemasters CEO that show the 3rd party industry don't believe in the Wii and/or don't know what to do if it.

In my mind there's so much potential for games on the Wii that the entire industry is leaving on the table, and that includes Nintendo itself as they stick to what worked on PS2 and GC.

Then it occurred to me that there's a lot of people in the video game industry that must visit this site. Even if they don't believe the numbers 100% they just have to as curious as we are (if not more so) to see what VG Chartz says.

So, here's our oppurtunty to tell those industry people what the new killer IPs will be for the Wii and how they can make millions (like by hiring me as VP Wii Development for one).  Let's show them what we got. Here's mine:

----

Okay, first off, what makes the Wii MORE appealing to people than 360/PS3 is that it's games be intuitive (but not necessarily easy) to play and make you feel as if your in the game.  Licensing issues aside here's what I would put on the Wii:

Star Wars: Dark Forces - I'd revise this franchase and put it to the Wii immediately.  First person action with the wiimote as your lightsaber/blaster and the nunchuk handling movement, looking around and force powers. Full story as the norm for DF and especially with the online capture the flag and vs modes!! Total geek awesomeness 10m guaranteed.   I realize thats assigning a lot to the nunchuk, but it can be done with creative use of the buttons and motions.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - This should be fairly obvious in it's appeal.  Also Star Wars is mainstream, everyone knows it so your not just capturing previous gamers but newer ones as well.

Sports Titles FPV - A series (or maybe collection) of sports titles that all 'Put you in the game'.  All done from a first (or maybe 3rd) person perspective.  Problem with most sports titles now is your more controling the game (which can be okay, PES looks promising) but people playing Wii Sports want to physically be IN the game.  In all cases you'd be able to play with 3 friends on your team for proffessional type play or 2 on 2 (with CPU taking a spot if there are only 3) or 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 competitive too.  Online would be good, but not strictly necessary.  This is more about family fun or playing with your drinking buddies.   Establishing a new sports IP would be key to dominating this huge potential market and once the brand is establish, people know what they are getting in each future edition.  For example, let's call it "Mii" (I know licensing, and Miis would be cool but again, not strickly necessary.  

Mii Basketball - 1st or 3rd person view.  You dribble with the wiimote, move with the nunchuk. Use both to pass, shoot in real-life like motions.  Press 'C' and movement to deke, etc. 4 player co-op plays like a NBA game style with the CPU taking on the 5th (and more if necessary) player on your team.  Split screen unless online.  Must be apparent where the ball is at all times.  With VS it plays more like street basketball.  Stylish, not too lifelike as we're not competeing with EA directly.  Halfway between Wii Sports and EA Sports.

Mii Volleyball - 1st or 3rd person view. Spike, volley etc with motion controls, limited movement around the field.  Up to 4 player co-op or 2 on 2.  Let's NOT do the oversized jiggly boobs here either, we are trying to equally appeal to women.

Mii Cricket - Oh come on, this one is too obvious.  Huge hit in "Others".

Mii Hockey - Smaller demand I know, but I'm Canadian and God damn it, I want this game!!!  Stick handle and shoot with Wiimote with realistic motions, check with nunchuk. Otherwise as above. 1st person perspective, etc.  Co-op like an NHL game, 2 on 2 more like street hockey.

Baseball, Soccer, Rugby, and on and on.

Oblivion (type) - Okay maybe not Oblivion itself, although that would be cool, but same style as this or the recent Might & Magic game.  1st person view.  Sword combat is key.  I'm NOT talking endless swinging here, I'm talking more 1:1 strategic blocking and parrying and thrusting.  Nunchuk is shield, wiimote sword but this cannot become a waggle-fest against endless hordes.  More story driven, more exploration RPG, but when there's fighting it should have that Resident Evil intensity where your going 'Get off!! Get back!!' and get all anxious but have to smartly control the fight nevertheless.   Casting fireballs and stuff with motion would be cool too.  Shoot arrows similar to Mario and Sonic (it's slow....) unless it's a crossbow, then more like in Zelda. Boss fights should be more about strategy (dropping something on the beast, for example) than endless swinging. 

Buldar's Gate/Freedom Force(type) - This would be huge with the old school D&D crowd.  Why?? Because since RPGs went online we lost the social aspect of them.  With the Wii that can be returned.  Imagine you and 3 friends (maybe more online - up to 6 people?!) sitting around, each controling thier own characters action, coordinating attacks, deciding watch to do next, who gets what loot.  Each characters actions reflects how NPCs deal with that particular character and to some degree the group.  Should be able to split up but regroup back onto one screen for combat.  Lots of possiblities here.   EA, get Bioware working on this right now! BTW - No waggle control here.  It's all about being with your buds, figuring out what to do next, arguing over the +3 broadsword, trying not to bake your brother the knight with a fireball - aww screw it, fry him and stealing your buddies pocket for fun.

RTS - Paraworld immediately springs to mind as one having something to bring in new people (Dinosaurs) but not sure how it'd translate itself.  But using IR controls gives RTS new life on Wii. Must be Online, but also play against a friend (or friends?) at home too.  Starcraft 2 where are you?

Puzzle Pirate/MapleStory(type) - MMO with a LOTS of social interaction and fun.  1/3 of Wii owners are females and PP would do very well with this crowd.  Sell the boxed game cheap, but not too cheap ($30) and generate income through micro-transactions.  Possibly Wiiware titles.

I've more ideas but not more time. So I'll let everyone else have a turn now.

Around the Network

I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

i've never played morrowind but wasn't it like oblivion seeing as how they are in the same franchise. i'm guessing maybe not quite as big. but to say the wii can't handle a game like that is just dumb. the wii is more powerful than any other previous system, it can handle plenty. i think people seem to think the wii is somehow a weak system just because its not as powerful as ps360. an oblivion type game could certainly be done on the wii but probably the game world just wouldn't be as big. so instead of having an insanely long 100+ hour type of game it'd be more like a standard rpg (60 hours or so) but oblivion style.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.

Create games that are better than Nintendo's

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Busihido Blade- This is a system where that type of game would be perfect. Unlike most fighting games that are a move a second for 2 minutes Bushido blade required careful execution. This would work perfectly as a format to display some truely great sword controls if anyone is willing to spend the time on it.

2d Platformer- This doesn't have a lot to do do with motion cotrols but look at the sucess of New Super Mario Bros. Someone can take an existing popular series and do a retro themed game. This will be huge in Japan as they care less for 3D. Frankly any company can tie into the retro feel Nintendo has started with the VC. I am not talking ports or pretty old games. I am talking new games with and old play style or look.

2 Wiimote games- The nunchuk is cool but I have yet to see someone exploiut the possibility fo using two Wiimote for truely revolutionary control schemes. I think 99.99% of Wii systems have an extra controller so that is no problem. I have seen some people play coop on rails shooters as 1 person dual wielding and it is awesome but the possibilities are endless. Imagine playing drums, or dual wielding swords, or guns , or controlling a tank.....

As for an oblivion type game, yeah those enviornments are reaching but I think an Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind grpahical level is achieveable.

The developers need to ask themselves what actions would be fun far a player to do. Then try t omap them with the Wimmote. A simple shake the controller to spin your character is not goingto cut it as the system matures. I am looking at you Nintendo.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

stand-alone snowboarding game utilizing the balance board. something like SSX would be great.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

@your first idea... I don't think first person lightsaber action will work well for a whole story driven type game, I would want third person... I wrote about this in a thread ages ago, how a 3rdPerson story driven lightsaber game could have an extra mode which is pure first person fighting with 1:1 controls. This mode would be the reason many buy the game even if all it is is a simple extra mode with online 1 on 1 fighting.... I will try find my old post for you.

A tank game that uses the Wii remote to control one track and the nunchuk to control the other. You could use the Joystick to control the cannon, d-pad to switch round types, B to fire. You would then have A, C, and Z left over to do other functions.

It wouldn't have to be set with present tanks, as it could be futuristic, but other than using that control scheme I really don't care about what it is about.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I do think developers will show good stuff this year. The Wii has started proving it CAN be a viable market for good, more mature 3rd party games. The Nintendo competition is somewhat less strong (Last year saw the big 3 Mario, Metroid, Zelda). SSBB and MK are enormous of course but less of a thread to single player games.
Furthermore the install base is growing and growing and the devs, one or two excluded,will start to show more high quality games that they started on last year when the Wii performed way better then expected.

Edit:

Stuff I'd like to see:

A good racer, WRPG, Good hack and slash, Fatal Frame 4 (oh hey, that's coming), RESIDENT EVIL!!!, Beyond Good & Evil 2