By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Smacking Children: Good or Bad?

Well, I've had mild smacking and spanking and there is definitely no harm in doing so. Then again, both instances were a rarity and only when I was being defiantly disobedient.

As others have said, there is a clear line between discipline and abuse. Trying to define specifically that line will only lead to parents "accidentally" crossing the line and much confusion and dispute. So the best thing is to forbid it altogether so there is no temptation to over-discipline your child.

Around the Network

As someone that was lovingly disciplined growing up, I definitely see the place for it. I never felt abused and grew up to be a really non-violent person. Heck, I've never even been in a fight in all my life.

BUT ... if the discipline isn't administered with love, then it has a better chance of becoming abuse. The key is BALANCE (something too many people lack in so many aspects of their lives). If you cut it out completely, kids often don't grasp the importance of limits. If you do it too much ... well, we all know the many traumatic results of that.

It just takes balance, folks. Sure, easy to say, hard to do. But when radical interpretations of what is too much (or too little) start to become state policy, then the ability for parents to discipline their children to the proper degree can be limited and thus generational issues with proper boundaries start bubbling to the fore.

I keep reading it as "Smoking Children: Good or Bad?"

Good, I say. Makes them look so much more sophisticated.

I don't know about this. I've never been hit in my life and I turned out alright, whereas I know of people who were hit countless times by their parents and grew to become scum.

I'm pretty sure it's an inefficient way of educating.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

theprof00 said:
Marks said:
MrBubbles said:
jails are also full of people who were physically "disciplined" as children.

Do you seriously think there's a correlation between being disciplined and violence as an adult?

Obviously if the kid is beaten then yeah he'll grow up to be violent, but I interpreted the OP as meaning just a good spanking, not child abuse. 

Think about it.

You get frustrated by a child's behavior, you get mad, you hit, no matter how lightly, the child.

The act of force resulting from anger, no matter how little, is what the child learns. He learns that anger disipates through the arm (or leg, or forehead) INTO another person or object.

Beatings has nothing to do with it. Beating a child could turn them into a serial killer, or mass murderer, or a wife-beater at least. Hitting and spanking is just a smaller form of that...the result won't be serial killer, but still violent nonetheless.

There is a big difference between beating and hitting.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Smacking =  bad
Spanking = good

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

osamanobama said:
Seece said:
osamanobama said:
Marks said:

Good, parents are way too soft on their kids these days. Kids need to be actually disciplined when they do something wrong.

And parents also need to take responsibility for thier kids. No more scapegoating video games and TV for their kid's bad behaviour. 

Edit: Of course I just mean a solid smack to the ass, not a punch or any actual violent shit. I was spanked a couple times when I was young for doing stupid shit, didn't turn me into a serial killer or bully. 

i concur...

i was spanked and disaplined serverly as a child, i think i turned out pretty well.

my parents love me and care about me, and they did what good parents should

Really? turned out homophobic and to hate and generalize a very large group of people.

Spanking/smacking should be used rarely (IMO never) but Euphoria puts across a good example of it.

Regular spanking does not make you a good parent. Lazy, uneducated and bad? Sure.

being that i neither hate nor have i ever generalized homosexuals, your statement is patently false. So please leave your bigotry out of this.

and seeing that you will never/ can never have a family, you arent really anybody of authority on this.

He can adopt. I fail to see how he got banned for that but you didn't get banned for that hideously insensitive statement.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Some people still mix up the concepts of limit and violence.

Millenium said:
Can't say that I'm supportive of physical punishment of children, I do think however that in some cases it can work and be justified, if it isn't too severe off course.

Well said.

I think it is a good thing. It worked very well for me anyways.