By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Vita will beat out the 3DS

Tagged games:

I'm sorry pezus, as much as I want to agree with you, I can't.
I think Vita will do decent numbers in europe and may do ok in NA. But for it to catch on in Japan, it needs monster hunters, and losing exclusivity on that franchise was sonys biggest mistake exclusive wise since losing GTAIV.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
I think Vita will do decent numbers in europe and may do ok in NA. But for it to catch on in Japan, it needs monster hunters, and losing exclusivity on that franchise was sonys biggest mistake exclusive wise since losing GTAIV.

I dont think Monster Hunter will be enough to save Vita in Japan, even with MH on the PSP, the NDS outsold PSP in Japan. Nintendo's first party games are too much for Sony lol.

Edit: Losing monster hunter was like taking candy from a baby.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it needs MH to beat 3DS, I'm saying it needs MH to do any good numbers lol 

Sadly it will never pass 3DS. Sucks because imo it's a vastly better handheld, all-round.

What a lot of people forget is that once the 3DS gets its TRUE pokemon game......ROFL its a wrap.

pezus said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I stated already that the OP doesn't reflect my opinion >_<

Sorry ;)-8-<

I need to stop posting this vid but I just can't with these gaming "articles"...

Around the Network
TGM said:
What a lot of people forget is that once the 3DS gets its TRUE pokemon game......ROFL its a wrap.

True story.

pezus said:
I think some of you are too quick to judge and think that what happens in Japan happens WW too. Let's not forgot huge games such as CoD, AC coming to Vita. If they pull it off right, they could provide a massive boost for the Vita.

Why will those games have any better effect on Vita than they did on PSP?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

pezus said:
BasilZero said:
pezus said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I stated already that the OP doesn't reflect my opinion >_<

Lies

We all know you want that damn sexy ass screen~

(lol I didnt read the article btw).

Of course I want it, but I had to be crazzyman to think Vita will beat the 3DS at this point

Oh so you aren't insane... good. ;)

RolStoppable said:

Yes, I remember games like Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Daxter. They got good reviews all around, only a few points lower than their console counterparts. In other words, they were as good as the Vita games will be, because they too will get lower review scores than their console counterparts. The PSP had developers like Sony Bend and Ready at Dawn working on games and their output wasn't anywhere close to call them bastardized versions of home console games. I fail to see a significant difference in the effort put in.

The mistake pezus and you make is assuming that the PS Vita will always be side to side with the PS3. The PSP launched a couple of years ahead of the seventh generation home consoles, so early on it was an expensive portable PS2 with inferior games (compared to the PS2) and later on in its lifecycle it was miles behind the PS3. The eighth generation of home consoles isn't too far away now, so the Vita, currently an expensive portable PS3 with inferior games (compared to the PS3), will soon become an outdated piece of hardware for those who want the latest and greatest graphics. Likewise, the importance of dual analog sticks is way overstated, because most games either don't use the second stick at all (racing games) or only use it for more convenient camera control. The only genres that are significantly affected by a lack of a second stick are FPS and TPS. Games that are highly community driven nowadays, so if a title doesn't offer crossplatform multiplayer between the PS3 and PSV, you better just forget about it.

Alternative control methods don't automatically mean tapping into the casual market. They are useless without the right games, I think Sony's Move has demonstrated this quite well.

The PSV is going to have a good launch week in America and Europe, but will drop off rather quickly afterwards, similar to what happened in Japan, albeit to a lesser degree. People are going to call for more games and a price cut quickly.

Actually I did play R&C, and it was not something I liked on PSP, though I liked it on PS2. The controls weren't good, it felt buggy and it wasn't fun at all on the small screen, so all in all I don't trust those reviews, they were most likely done by PSP fans, something I was not, and we know that community could be heavily biased at times back then. I'm assuming a better job on software and a bigger screen can correct this. That, and Uncharted for instance is now a much more interesting series in the more modern gens. You fail to see the difference but come release I think we'll see vast improvement. Then again it's again still early to tell, but that's my gut on it given screenshots and what I understand to be an excellent and dearly loved series. I would bet pretty high that this is a AAA game, couldn't say the same about R&C. Keep in mind this is Sony's 2nd gen in the portable market, their studios probably understand the stakes much better this time around, and that business sense translates into the teams as far as I've understood stakeholder-to-studio dynamics this far.

@Outdating-graphics. The difference with PSP and even 3DS or Vita is that the PSP didn't have good graphics. They were below PS2 levels, and even those left wanting many times. 3DS has nice SD graphics even by today's HD standards (look at RE:R!), so I expect Vita to age very well. I don't think I'll be mistaken here.

@2nd stick. Whether the controls are used or not doesn't matter in my view (I know it's pathetic, but it's a sad reality). Just the fact that it sports a dual-analog makes it "look" like a PS3 controller, so they will "think" it's more like what they are familiar with. Some consumers are just that stupid.

@alternate controls. Indeed, why I mentioned LBP. PS3 move can't be used very efficiently as an argument because it came in late, and the features were not advertised early enough. Then again if Sony doesn't back this properly you may be right, but if M.U.G.E.N.'s PSP thread is any indicator, lots of indie games will be making use of it. Those are value bringers for a consumer.

@dropoff. Very likely everything you said may come true, especially at a 250$ pricepoint. Then again, it may spike significantly (more in tune with the 3DS) during the holidays to your surprise, given appeal to a new audience, and a possible early pricepoint in the wake of the 3DS. Just keep it in mind. I also expect Vita's trend to be above the PSP's global and per region as of year 2.

Anyway, you know I'm playing Devil's advocate :), and I'm aware I'm doing a poor job at it.

ya good luck with that tc. I do not see how the Vita which is selling horribly worst then 3DS did at the same price (even with people saying 3DS was over priced. it seams the sales said other wise in comparision

and you must be joking with all the upcoming 3DS games out plus the DS library we already have access to and lets just say no way can any one have every game DS has
lol

so let me start with a game line up not available on Vita and there will be many ports of 3DS games like blaze blue continium shift.

but heres what vita don't have
1.Driver renegade
2 starfox 64 3D
3 zelda ocarina of time 3d
4 splinter cell 3D
5 ghost recon shadow wars
6 nascar unleashed
7 mariokart 7
8 super mario 3d land
9 resident evil mercenaries 3"D
10 resident evil revelations
11 mgs 3d
12 paper mario
13 ssb 4 (which would be also on wii U)
14 kid icaris uprising
15 nfs the run
16 harvest moon 3d
17 monster hunter tri
18 monster hunter 4
19 luigis mansion 2
20 tetris axis
21 pilot wings resort
22 nintendogs plus cats
23 new side scrolling mario game announced
24 rayman 3d
25 asphalt 3d
26 ridge racer 3d-which seams better then vitas ridge racer which consist of only 5 tracks or so i heard pretty lame
27 face raiders
28 ar games
29 steel diver
30 sims 3 pets
31 sims 3
32 super monkey ball 3d
33 combat of the giant dinosuars
34 marioparty 3d* rumored - but i wouldn't pass a doubt on this
theres some more in development

over 200 titles in development not including those

the vita may do well but it is in no way gonna take out the 3ds