By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Vita will beat out the 3DS

Tagged games:

The Japanese beg to differ.

Around the Network

Personally, at the moment I am very doubtful about the PS-Vita because it is a system launching a year after the successor to the market leader, it is significantly more expensive than its competition, it is pretty "generic" in terms of features, and I'm not convinced that it has games people are really looking for from a portable gaming system.

Vita doesn't need to outsell the 3DS. All Sony has to do it stick to their guns, and rack out quality software. The initial lineup is tens of leagues better than what the 3DS had at launch.

I don't buy systems at launch....ever. However Vita has a flare to it, and to me that says something.

As for the 3DS. I'll buy one eventually, but the lack of quality software (besides the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations because that looks awesome), the lack of a second analog (no i'm not buying that over sized accessory), and the 3D are just downers for me.

Clarification on the software: Nintendo has great first party software for Nintendo fans, but when you aren't into the whole Mario thing you kind of get left out in the rain. I already own Zelda/MGS3 so I don't need another copy.

Toxicspikes said:
pezus said:

Nintendo has always seemed to generally target a younger audience with their exclusive games, whereas the Vita seems to hit them all. With major titles like Uncharted and Resistance, older gamers accustom to consoles will have no problem enjoying the experience, while games like Little Big Planet and Rayman Origins can appeal to a younger crowd. On top of that, the vast abilities of the Vita itself will keep any tech junky at bay.

Rayman Origins isn't exactly exclusive though. Just saying.

It is if you don't count the 360 version, the PS3 version, the Wii version, or the forthcoming 3DS and PC versions. Which you shouldn't.

This thread is like stepping on the twilight zone.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the 3DS is "stuck" to a Wi-fi connection. Whatever connection you choose to use, you're gonna have to pay an ISP. Wether you want one on the move or one just at home is really up to you, but theres solutions for both.

Has for the 3DS beeing for "kiddies" is in itself a very weak argument when were experiencing the release of Resident evil Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 3D and Tekken prime edition the next weeks. Nintendo games might be seen as kiddy because they are aimed at a large demographic, but the 3DS is proving its aimed at adult audiences aswell.

From a marketing point of view though, the 3DS is absolutely genious in the way it differenciates itself from the competition while aiming at all the demographics, while the Vita on the other hand just seems to be a small tablet or a big phone aimed at 20-35 audiences. It is in no way a better gadget than the 3DS, but a different one. The 3DS still offers a unique 3D experience and functionality that no other handheld offers, wich is something that is hard to say about the Vita since it really offers little over the PSP except power (the touch pad is just a feature added to a checklist that makes little sense on the same screen as you're playing the games). That is the reason why it cant really beat even the PSP without a really good library. There just is no reason to upgrade.

But, realisticly speaking the Vita already lost in sales comparison. There is just no way that a handheld that is now selling 15-20k a week is gonna catch up with a 15 million headstart.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Toxicspikes said:
pezus said:

Nintendo has always seemed to generally target a younger audience with their exclusive games, whereas the Vita seems to hit them all. With major titles like Uncharted and Resistance, older gamers accustom to consoles will have no problem enjoying the experience, while games like Little Big Planet and Rayman Origins can appeal to a younger crowd. On top of that, the vast abilities of the Vita itself will keep any tech junky at bay.

Rayman Origins isn't exactly exclusive though. Just saying.

It is if you don't count the 360 version, the PS3 version, the Wii version, or the forthcoming 3DS and PC versions. Which you shouldn't.

Ah, I completely forgot that the other versions don't count. How stupid of me.

yeah i can't wait too see how crushed the 3DS will be when Vita is out in Japan... oh wait no it will be dead (well i want to say Do0m3D but i am not allowed so dead is good enough) when Vita come out in the west! it has mature games and dat graphics and 3G. what does 3DS has compared to it? nothing it only has dem kiddy games like RR:R and Monster Hunter and other kiddy games like Mario and Mario Kart so it only appeals to kids

and yes this is a sarcasm post for anybody who did not understand that

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I think it will have a better launch in NA/Europe due to the superior launch titles, but nintendo's IPs and the huge brand awareness of the DS I think will prevent the psv from ever outselling it, which is a shame because the vita is an awesome piece of hardware.

Seems legit

RolStoppable said:
Did you google "hardcore gamer fantasy land" to find this article?

It does a good job at avoiding to talk about the 3DS and recycling old bogus arguments (Nintendo is for kids, the two handhelds aren't really competitors, Sony covers all bases of gamers), hence why it reads like a seven years old article.

I'll be honest. I didn't even read the article because I thought it was going to go in that direction. All those arguements are crap too.