By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony CEO: Casual Games on PS2 to Compete with Wii Coming

This will backfire on Sony

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Sweetness. Glad I didn't trade my PS2 in for a PS3 without BC. Thanks, Sony!

Shouldn't they concentrate on releasing casual games on the PS3 rather then the PS2? Seems like a half ass way of doing things. PS2 sales are going down, not up... don't let it slow sales on the current gen console just to try and hurt the competition again in a half assed way.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I have two remarks:

- This is a public admission that the PS3 will never be able to dominate the Wii

- They're probably trying to use the fear that some 3rd parties have against the Wii in order to steal development effort from the Wii to the PS2 (think about it, this may give a way for developers to develop games without entering Nintendo's domain)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

grandmaster192 said:
Wrong account, guys. Sorry about that.

"I would agree with you, if not for the fact taht PS2 sold a ****load over the holidays. It's still a viable system and, above all else, still makes money for Sony. Perhaps taking out BC in the 40GB wasn't as stupid as I thought."

Sure, it's still a viable system to develop for, but much longer does it have left? It's time for Sony start thinking about how to make the PS3 a viable system. I think they need to focus on getting the price down in Europe. Why not use the money that way? I mean, think about it... Sony could possibly rise to Wii status in Europe if the price was lower. Also, broadining their Japan userbase is important as well.

A simple example to illustrate your point Grandmaster:

Lets imagine Sony is making 5 "casual" games of the ilk they're talking about for the PS2. Let's imagine that's around 5 groups of 10 people making these games.

That's 50 developers. That could be 2 small PS3 games or 1 pretty big PS3 game that could otherwise be made with those same hands and minds.

If these PS2 games were made in some bubble where Sony could simply ramp up development for the PS2 at no cost to anything, with no development times or resource management, great! Just like it would be great if we could provide free homes to everyone in the world without taxing ourselves any further. But these things have costs, and every ounce of effort put into the PS2 is an ounce of effort that could have gone into the PS3.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

That's really said - Sony dropped BC, wanted to push gamers to the PS3 and PS3 titles and they drop this bombshell. What would really suck is if the games they release for the PS2 are really, really good.

Sony needs to get their priorities straight. This makes absolutely no sense ...

grandmaster192 said:
Wrong account, guys. Sorry about that.

"I would agree with you, if not for the fact taht PS2 sold a ****load over the holidays. It's still a viable system and, above all else, still makes money for Sony. Perhaps taking out BC in the 40GB wasn't as stupid as I thought."

Sure, it's still a viable system to develop for, but much longer does it have left? It's time for Sony start thinking about how to make the PS3 a viable system. I think they need to focus on getting the price down in Europe. Why not use the money that way? I mean, think about it... Sony could possibly rise to Wii status in Europe if the price was lower. Also, broadining their Japan userbase is important as well.

... wrong account...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Given that the PS2 sold more in the last year than either the 360 or the PS3, I would say it is far from being a poor business plan.

By covering both high and low-end markets, Sony actually managed to sell more home consoles last year than super-mega-hit-makers Nintendo, yet there are people who still prophesise doom for Sony and fail to understand the logic of their strategy.

BOTTOM LINE: They are better at business than you are.

Good move by Sony, they can claim victory in the console war now .. "PS2 outsell Wii by 80 million units"

Played_Out said:
Given that the PS2 sold more in the last year than either the 360 or the PS3, I would say it is far from being a poor business plan.

By covering both high and low-end markets, Sony actually managed to sell more home consoles last year than super-mega-hit-makers Nintendo, yet there are people who still prophesise doom for Sony and fail to understand the logic of their strategy.

BOTTOM LINE: They are better at business than you are.

And yet Nintendo managed to post big profits while they posted losses, they aren't so good at buisness it sounds

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)