By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'Tard Of The Week - 1/7/2008

So here is the 'Tard of the Week of 1/7:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/61065.html?welcome=1199847979

What the 'tard has to say:

"There are two mistakes a vendor can make that it may not be able to recover from. One is to build too many products, which stay in inventory and prevent future sales; and the other is to have too few products and lose out of sales as a result.

Nintendo did the latter, and that will be a problem for the company in 2008....

Nintendo Screws Up

It was clear that the Wii was going to be the hot product for the fourth quarter, and as we entered the holiday buying season, it was selling at a significant premium. Game systems are based on the razor/blade model in that the vendors subsidize the game console to get an annuity of game royalties, which is where they derive their profits.

The Wii subsidy is believed to be -- when compared to Sony -- almost insignificant, so Nintendo should have been able to sell millions. Due to manufacturing shortages, it didn't even sell 1 million units.

Anecdotal data suggests that Sony may, in terms of sell-through, have benefited more from this than Microsoft did -- probably because the Sony PS3 was seen as newer and more exclusive.

Whenever your most focused competitor gains because you screwed up, it isn't a good thing, and Nintendo doesn't have the scale of either Sony or Microsoft to bury this kind of a mistake in revenue from other units.

This was a classic miss and, based on demand, Nintendo lost between 60 and 75 percent of the available business, most of which will likely not return because kids want something during the holidays -- and IOUs just don't cut it.

The Nintendo DS System actually outsold both the hotter Wii and the Sony's PSP because it was not constrained. Apparently, it also outsold both the Xbox and PS3 as well (once again pointing out that $200 is the magic break point for high volumes, and the lower you get, the faster sales volume comes up).

Had Nintendo been able to meet demand, it would have ended the year so far ahead of the other players that it could have dominated the console and handheld game player market. However, by missing, everyone stays in the game. This is going to hurt in 2008 as the other folks bring their prices in line with the market."

Why he's a 'tard:

Where to start? "The Wii subsidy is believed to be -- when compared to Sony -- almost insignificant..." Uh, it's public knowledge that Nintendo actually makes money on each console sold. So there is no 'subsidy'.

"Due to manufacturing shortages, it didn't even sell 1 million units." Huh? What period of time is this fool talking about? The only time period he mentioned in the article is the fourth quarter. And we all know that Nintendo actually sold well over 1M during the three months at the end of 2007. Before pulling numbers out of your ass, Rob, let us know where you got them from, eh?

"Nintendo doesn't have the scale of either Sony or Microsoft to bury this kind of a mistake in revenue from other units." Except for their handheld sales because the DS basically prints money.

"...and IOUs just don't cut it." Really? Because Gamestop seemed to do brisk sales of Wii rainchecks right before the end of the holiday shopping season.

"The Nintendo DS System actually outsold both the hotter Wii and the Sony's PSP because it was not constrained." Mostly true, but many stores started to run out of systems (and same are still out) right before Christmas.

"Had Nintendo been able to meet demand, it would have ended the year so far ahead of the other players that it could have dominated the console and handheld game player market. However, by missing, everyone stays in the game. This is going to hurt in 2008 as the other folks bring their prices in line with the market." (sigh) Yes, if Nintendo would have been able to make millions more, they would have sold quite well. Would such sales have forced MS or Sony out of the marketplace? No. I think this guy really doesn't get the whole 'Blue Ocean' strategy. You can't go buy a 360 or PS3 and get the same experience no matter how much those systems cost. Nintendo has the momentum, mind share, and software to stay on top in 2008. And no price drop by MS or Sony is going to stop that at this point.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

I thought this was a VGChartz thing, but yeah, this guy is one hell of a retard.

What a R'tard

Steve 3.2 said:

Had Nintendo been able to meet demand, it would have ended the year so far ahead of the other players that it could have dominated the console and handheld game player market.

So according to him, a few more millions of Wiis would have meant that the PS3 and the 360 wouldn't be in the race anymore? Does that mean that in 2 or 3 months, those consoles will be effectively finished?

Thanks for the laugh ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

B/C I don't get enough attention... ;)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

So what, this guy doesn't believe that the people who weren't able to get a Wii in 07 won't buy it when it becomes available in 08? Nice logic there.

News to me i didnt realize Nintendo was"hurting"

wow

these industry analysts really do their research and know their stuff, huh!

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

When I saw the subsidy line, boom that guys is confirmed a tard :)

Of course Nintendo is hurting. I would be too if I was the company that owned the Wii and DS, the hottest game systems out there. Breaking one million units in a week is obviously untrue. This guy definately pulls from a reliable source, like his ass.