By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Anime Discussion Thread

outlawauron said:

Edit: I will say that Seitokai has an absolutely hilarious Mahou Shoujo parody in the very last episode. Wish the series had more parody and less stupidity. Looking at our MALs, it seems we're at odds on a bunch of shows.

Props for finding me on MAL. Not that it's hard though~

As for comparison, you are right. But then again, we have quite a lot of shows where we share the same score or are one point different. With such extremes, compatibility rating of ~60% seems very accurate.

[01:33] <@Palom> Question: Biology: Which major terrestial biome is characterized by very cold winters and mostly herbacious plants? (1)

[01:33] tsundra

Around the Network
HaxtonFale said:
outlawauron said:

Edit: I will say that Seitokai has an absolutely hilarious Mahou Shoujo parody in the very last episode. Wish the series had more parody and less stupidity. Looking at our MALs, it seems we're at odds on a bunch of shows.

As for comparison, you are right. But then again, we have quite a lot of shows where we share the same score or are one point different. With such extremes, compatibility rating of ~60% seems very accurate.

You posted your MAL in this thread yourself :P

Oh. That changes a lot.
But, as I said, it's not that hard to find me anyway.

[01:33] <@Palom> Question: Biology: Which major terrestial biome is characterized by very cold winters and mostly herbacious plants? (1)

Stefl1504 said:
HaxtonFale said:
outlawauron said:

You posted your MAL in this thread yourself :P

Shhhhhh.....

@ Haxton

I see we agree on Kara no Kyoukai, so you're all good in my book.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Thanks for all those suggestions, hope I can get some brust out laughes

@HaxtonFale I dont mind some manga's recommendations :D

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
c03n3nj0 said:
Anybody know of any good Animes in the fashion of Toradora!, Clannad, Code Geass, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, or Baccano that I can watch!?

I know it's a wide range of genres, but that's exactly why I put them. I'm up for anything quality, really. Have not seen an Anime in two years. Need to get back into it... and I really need a stepping-stone show that I can use to get back in.

It almost seems if you're asking for another well-aclaimed show because they have almost nothing in common except for being super popular.

Actually, yeah, I can start from the super popular and work into whatever niche I like.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

SnakeDrake said:
Thanks for all those suggestions, hope I can get some brust out laughes

@HaxtonFale I dont mind some manga's recommendations :D

:D

Let's get started then!

I already mentioned Fujimura-kun Mates which is one of the best mangas I have ever read. You could also try reading mangas for some of the anime I recommended, i.e. SYD or Dasnhi Koukousei no Nichijou (aka Nichibros). They are usually just as good as the adaptations, if not better.

And now, for standalone titles. My most and second most favourites are Fujimura and SYD respectively, but after that there's Denpa Kyoushi - very amusing with a bunch of crazy ideas. Sadly, it was going quite stale for some time... But looks like it's picking up the pace again.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to cracks me up fairly often. Not as often as Fujimura, but keeps a nice pace. And the art is great (Hiroyuki made a few interesting doujins and is responsible for at least two memes).

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo is a very nice school comedy with a bit of supernatural and mystery. From the same author I also picked up Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, which is another batshit crazy comedy.The art is very nice, but might take a while to get used to.

Near Equal is another example of these things that sound crazy, but are relatively normal. That of course doesn't change the fact that it's a very pleasant slice-of-life comedy.

Usotsuki Lily, however, keeps its absurd humour on buy going very meta at times (characters pointing out that they are still in the same year despite the year ending, Kojirou emitting falling cherry blossom petals or leaves, depending on season...). Watch out, though - it's a shoujo manga (even if fairly light), so you might not entirely enjoy its style.

Mission! School is outright insane. Verse-invoked hammerspace, used by school girls who are trying to conquer the world. Yeah.

Gou-dere Bishoujo Nagihara Sora is yet another example of not-so-subtle humour. It takes a while to pick up properly, but at least the chapters are fairly long...

Monster Musume no Iro Nichijou is basically your harem romance comedy, but with monster girls. Quite amusing, I'd say.

Moving on to finished series, at first there's Onidere. Amazing manga, especially including Saya's incredible strength, tendency to overreact and superhuman dad (she has a killsat that fires at him whenever she says Bring down the old man).

Pretty Face is one of these things you sometimes stop and think whether you enjoy it. I think I did, for it was a pretty good comedy. Props for MAL for a fairly accurate synopsis, though.

There's also a bunch of 4komas I could recommend. They are usually fairly... abstract with their ideas, but tend to burn out fairly quickly. At first there's Cyclops Shoujo Cyp with a tall and skilled middle schooler infatuated with her brother. Waratte! Sotomura-san has titular character learning how to smile. Kill Me Baby is a story of an assassin, a ninja and an idiot. Nothing good could happen.

Also, I remember a few more anime comedies which I did not particularly like, but you might enjoy them. It's Nichijou, whose main selling point is overreacting (and, well, pretty abnormal "everyday life"), Shinryaku! Ika Musume about a squid girl that came to conquer the surface with no knowledge about it whatsoever and Upotte!! showing guns as girls. No, seriously - anthropomorphised weaponry.

c03n3nj0 said:
outlawauron said:
c03n3nj0 said:
Anybody know of any good Animes in the fashion of Toradora!, Clannad, Code Geass, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, or Baccano that I can watch!? 

I know it's a wide range of genres, but that's exactly why I put them. I'm up for anything quality, really. Have not seen an Anime in two years. Need to get back into it... and I really need a stepping-stone show that I can use to get back in.

It almost seems if you're asking for another well-aclaimed show because they have almost nothing in common except for being super popular.

Actually, yeah, I can start from the super popular and work into whatever niche I like.

Firstly, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's a definite must-watch.

From other popular stuff there's Shakugan no Shana, a show that many people enjoy, while others just drop because it turns so boring and/or incomprehensible. Wolf and Spice, in which economy is just an excuse to watch witty wolf girl. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, worshipped by some and overrated for others. Mouretsu Pirates, whose seriousness is unbefitting the synopsis. Warning: contains incredible space battles. And since we're in space, it would be a shame not to mention Legend of the Galactic Heroes, a series widely known for its humongous scale and huge emphasis on politics. outlawauron mentioned Kara no Kyoukai, yet another must-watch from the world of violent fantasy nested in modern world. It's a part of Nasuverse (which also includes Fate/stay night, Tsukihime and their sequels and prequels - I suggest concentrating on original materials, though, unless the adaptation was made by ufotable - just like KnK). And last, but not least, two magical girl shows which are not exactly what you would expect - Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which turns quite dark pretty fast and is followed by two great sequels, and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - a deconstruction of the genre. It turns dark. Very, very dark.

I hope that helps. I could also recommend a bunch of titles from Key (Clannad, Kanon, Air, Angel Beats!) or Evangelion, since those contributed a lot to the world of anime we know today.

I'm shocked that you didn't include Onani Master Kurosawa, considering it's pretty an universal internet favorite.

Well, I didn't have anywhere to include Kurosawa. It's not a comedy, and I don't know if c03n3nj0 is interested in manga. If I were to include popular/great manga, I would surely include Kurosawa, as well as several other titles. And light novels too.

HaxtonFale said:
Well, I didn't have anywhere to include Kurosawa. It's not a comedy, and I don't know if c03n3nj0 is interested in manga. If I were to include popular/great manga, I would surely include Kurosawa, as well as several other titles. And light novels too.

I was referring to your giant manga recs before you replied to j0.