By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - At what price would YOU buy a PS3?

Well reasoned response, WiiGirl76.

See? It's not always what you think when someone doesn't support Sony. 

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network
WiiGirl76 said:

I won't and explain why because to me it's not because it's Sony, I've played PS2 for years, have a PSP and a bunch of Sony products in my room, so you can't really say I'm a Sony hater, absolutely not!

First of all this might sound weird for those who don't interest one single bit about our mother earth and about energy costs but the power use of the console is way too much. The console uses a maximum of 380 Watts, that's almost 4 times more then my Sony Bravia TV at maximum usage, while it's on maximum power saving, so almost 9 times more then my WII and almost 10 times more then it's big brother PS2. In Europe and especially in the Netherlands governments are working on environment issues, regular light balls disappear in 2009 and we all need to use energy saving light balls from then. So therefore I think it's contra dictionary when on one hand I put my TV on maximum power saving, use energy saving light balls but buy a console which eats energy. That's one.

Second I hear these complaints about the console is getting so warm and even leaves burn marks on furniture. My father made me a nice dresser a few years ago and would die if anything happens to that. Besides if I would buy a PS3 it should be a Japanese version as I have Japanese PS / PS2 games and they look dreadful on a LCD TV with a PS2 console. I need to buy another step down converter which can be risky too.

Third of all, all the extra stuff, such as Blu Ray, for which you have to pay as well. I don't interest one single bit about Blu Ray. I've never played DVD's on my consoles as I have a DVD recorder, so what's the use of a DVD / Blu Ray playback option then? I buy a console for games, to download a few contents and to play online sometimes, but further nothing really.

Fourth, the games. I don't really see one single game that would interest me buying the console at the moment. Perhaps a FFXIII, Little Big Planet, Monster Kingdom, Africa and White Knight Story, unless they kick a Dark Chronicle 2 / Dark Cloud 3 in front of my eyes. Then you really got me start doubting. What I see is a full trend of typical based on male gamers Action games and shooters. And no I can't stand Singstar!

Then the download option. I said that I'll need a Japanese version, still no sign of Pre Paid cards and therefore for me impossible to use Japanese contents with a credit card, besides I don't like it a single bit when companies just withdraw amounts from my card.

Also the Backward compatibility and most of all the upscale updates. First updates will take place in the Summer, but how long will that take? FFXII and KH2 look like PSX games on my PS2 on the LCD TV, how long do I need to wait before I have an upscale update on the PS3 for these 2 games and yes.... they're Japanese imports. I still don't know which version of the PS3 (with the older or new chip) would be the best for me. What if I would buy the older version but better should have got the latest version or visa versa, no one has given me a straight answer about that after asking it a lot of times.

Then import. Sony Playstation Europe has made it difficult for me to order Japanese games from stores from Asia. Lik Sang no longer exists and Play Asia isn't allowed to ship any PSP or PS3 games to the European Union. Yes Asia I refuse to buy from anymore, as 2 times games got lost. And asking a third time for a refund would be suspicious so I rather not take that risk anymore. Then I'll need to check elsewhere and cost me a lot of money unless my seller from who I buy import WII, PSP and DS games from has them in stock, but she doesn't always. So therefore stores like Play Asia are my second choice.

These are reasons enough for me to say "no", not a PS3 for any lower price what so ever. Price is not even the biggest issue for me I don't say never ever as future can't be predicted, therefore I save up all my PS2 games before I really plan to sell them and regret every minute of it. I'm sure fans will blow at me that I'm talking nonsense, but as long as I'm allowed to have a personal opionion I'll stick with that!

That must be the biggest pile of nonsenses I have read in a long time .

As for the question .I have bought one for 600 .I think it was a bit expensive although it is packed with things ,but thinking about with some brain I save some 60 euros for year from now on so it is cheaper than the X360 .Besides the X360 to compete needs the Elite plus the HD-DVD add-on plus the Wifi adaptor .....thats a massive 780 euros/dollars .I cant pay that kind of money ,less for a modular machine with two power bricks and made as poorly as the X360 (red ring of death ,it scratchs discs ,etc ) .So PS3 is the only option if you dont want to pay more and want a reliable machine . I suppose a "fair " ,closer-to-possible mass-market price would be 350-400 dollars .

@Diomedes1976

thats why Wiigirl wrote:

"I'm sure fans will blow at me that I'm talking nonsense, but as long as I'm allowed to have a personal opionion I'll stick with that!"

i was really waiting (also a bit praying) for the first sonyfan response.

thank you Diomedes :)

Kwaad said:
HappySqurriel said:

I refuse to buy any console until it is in the $199-$299 range ...

I only am interested in these devices as gaming machines so if they're pushing other features (DVD playback, Home Theater Extender, etc.) at a higher price they're only limiting the appeal of the device for me.

Also at $99 I will buy pretty much any system ...

Just courious. You would buy a BluRay player for your TV for 800$ and buy a PS3 for 300$, but you wouldnt buy a PS3 WITH BluRay player for 600$? The Wii can surf the web. Sell it quick! It multi-tasks!

Who said I would spend $800 on a Blu-Ray player?

After being a DVD early adopter, I think that it is foolish to spend more than $100 on a movie player for the luxury of paying $15 extra to buy a movie and having a a very limited quantity of a very limited selection of movies available to rent; add to that a format war and only a fool would jump on these players at these prices.

Around the Network

I own a Wii and was happy to pay $250. I don't own a PS3 or XBOX 360 yet. I would consider one or the other. Right now I am leaning toward a 360 because of HALO3. I really want to play that game and it seems more and more games are going multiplatform so I'm not going to miss toooooooo much. I still would not pay any of the prices out right now. Whichever one comes down to $299 first will win my hard earned money, maybe. The game prices and shit like XBOX Live still erck me. Who knows. I might just save my money for the WiiHD and buy that instead.

--

http://www.subodesign.com

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Ghost Squad, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play

My limit on a game console is around 300$ maybe 400$ if there's some games I REALLY want or I can get a deal.

Chances are I'm not buying PS3 for quite some time according to the charts and the price.. 

The way the game selection is starting to look there's a chance I may not need a PS3 this generation. :) If I do want one, however, it won't be until the $200 price point at least.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I'd pay ~£300 with maybe a game. Or at least a second controller. As for PS3 power useage... PAH. How much power does a P.C use? I have a Rated 550W Power supply in it and it's a 4 year old system. How many people leave the P.C on to download stuff? Fair do it may use a fair amount in comparison. But a P.C eats WAY MORE power, especially a decent one!

Good to see this site is still going 

HappySqurriel said:
Kwaad said:
HappySqurriel said:

I refuse to buy any console until it is in the $199-$299 range ...

I only am interested in these devices as gaming machines so if they're pushing other features (DVD playback, Home Theater Extender, etc.) at a higher price they're only limiting the appeal of the device for me.

Also at $99 I will buy pretty much any system ...

Just courious. You would buy a BluRay player for your TV for 800$ and buy a PS3 for 300$, but you wouldnt buy a PS3 WITH BluRay player for 600$? The Wii can surf the web. Sell it quick! It multi-tasks!

Who said I would spend $800 on a Blu-Ray player?

After being a DVD early adopter, I think that it is foolish to spend more than $100 on a movie player for the luxury of paying $15 extra to buy a movie and having a a very limited quantity of a very limited selection of movies available to rent; add to that a format war and only a fool would jump on these players at these prices.

You and I are on exactly the same page.  I think more than $300 is too much for a game machine, and Blu-ray is completely useless to me until it's the clear HD winner (which it may never become), and until movie prices come down.  No way am I spending 40 bucks on a movie.

Yes, my Wii multitasks, AND I didn't pay 600 bucks for it!  When you launch a console at $250 with a game, you're not pushing anything.