By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS3 a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 567 61.63%

No, it isn't. 292 31.74%

I like it when you talk rough, d21! 61 6.63%

Total:920

Sony loss Billions of dollars with the PS3.

Sony was dominating the gaming industry in the two previous Gen but the PS3 now stuck behind 360 and Wii for last place.

Sony will not recover their market share in America which they have dominated in the past.

Yeah I agree with everyone here that the PS3 is a BIG SUCCESS.

Around the Network

60.7 million worldwide speaks for itself. america isn't the world, but they're strong in japan and europe.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
voty2000 said:
It will end up selling significantly less than its predecessor and lost market share to Microsoft so I don't consider it a success. I may have considered it a success if all it did was sell less consoles but letting Microsoft become a major player in the console market will haunt Sony for many years.

But selling less has the direct effect of a competitor becoming bigger.  Or maybe you help allowed Microsoft to become a major player.  You're not so hot at being bipartisan.

It succeeded in entertaining me and that's all I care about.

Signature goes here!

bonkers555 said:

Sony was dominating the gaming industry in the two previous Gen but the PS3 now stuck behind 360 and Wii for last place.

Sony will not recover their market share in America which they have dominated in the past.

No one said the PS3 was a big success. Stop creating reasons to nag.

Around the Network

I'd say not really, Sony has gone from the giant of the gaming world to a financially crippled company.

i would say no

lost most all its 3rd party exclusives from the previous gens, kinda got bullied in a sense with games like gta tomb raider, RE and a few others that really started there life on the PS platform but this gen are either inferior to the X-box or had DLC received later than the X-box

lot of exclusive games that showed off its HW or had promise in its early life like 8 days, getaway, gt5, gorilla nation, agent either took to long to release, got canceled or havent heard a thing about again

released last so in theory should be the superior console, but has inferior multi's (thats where most of SW come from), cant do cross game chat, cant dl games on HDD fully, cant have custom soundtracks on all games, cant install while DLing, ect.

is still doesnt have monster exclusive games in the two most important categories imo the FPS and TPS they tried to take on halo with KZ and resistance but the sales and reviews can tell you about that, as for TPS i dont even think theyve had any meaningful release this gen

lost alot of marketshare in the west doubt they'll ever get it back it will just be a up hill climb from here

i guess it was some kinda success as it wasnt a complete flop, it will get over 80M before its off the market, looking at how things were in 06-08 some could say it wouldnt make it to 40m. I believe though that if wasnt for the X-box having its HW issues this gen and charging for online things would of been worser for sony

Play Me

From a financial standpoint, as others have said, no, losing upwards of $7b (perhaps more), was it really worth it for Blu Ray?

Not a huge success (compared to PS1 and PS2), but it's successful.

Jay520 said:
bonkers555 said:

No one said the PS3 was a big success. Stop creating reasons to nag.

OK, the PS3 was a SUCCESS. Not BIG SUCCESS. Happy now?