By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should guns be outlawed in America?

theprof00 said:
brendude13 said:
leatherhat said:
brendude13 said:
leatherhat said:
Its not about home defense or hunting. Its about making sure the people can always "take care" of the government if they overstep their bounds, which America has apparently forgotten.

That sounds ridiculous and totally not feasible in this day and age.

I doubt a group of rednecks could topple the American government.

I doubt a group of 3rd world muslims could topple the American millitary. Oh wait.

I would hardly say they toppled the American military. It's barely even a war, soldiers are meant to fight, not play hide and seek.

They didn't just topple the American military, they destabilized the entire world economy.

Forget problems with housing collapse, etc, the terrorists made American waste trillions in defense spending across all walks of life, made government pass legislation to invade our privacy and homes, and destroyed the American air travel market.

Americans did that to themselves. The combination or their paranoia in mid 00's and starting a pointless war to cause the country to be in a huuge debt caused that

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:
Its not about home defense or hunting. Its about making sure the people can always "take care" of the government if they overstep their bounds, which America has apparently forgotten.

You honestly think american people can defeat government controlled US Army? Or did I misunderstood you?

Yes, and without too much difficulty 

then you don't know the first thing about military or modern warfare

I know that a government and millitary force can't control a populace that don't want to be controlled. History teaches us that. You're delusional if you think an armed resistance force in America couldn't win a war of attrition against the US government. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

maximus22 said:
adriane23 said:
There's no point in outlawing guns in the U.S. because it's too easy to get one illegally. On that note owning a gun for "security" is stupid. The criminal with nothing to lose will come out the winner 9 times out of 10 unless you're hyper paranoid and expect to be attacked 24/7.

I would think someone defending their family's lives with everything to lose would take the odds.

Involving a person's family would further decrease their odds, because they wouldn't be able to adequately protect themselves as well as the lives of their spouses/children. I personally, would hate to have to think about my family's wellbeing with bullets flying at my head and theirs.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

leatherhat said:
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:

You honestly think american people can defeat government controlled US Army? Or did I misunderstood you?

I know that a government and millitary force can't control a populace that don't want to be controlled. History teaches us that. You're delusional if you think an armed resistance force in America couldn't win a war of attrition against the US government. 

Im talking about the typical rebellious war against the government and there's no chance in hell armed US citizens (by armed, i mea carrying a handgun, some maybe have a shotgun or hunting rifle) can defeat US army, do you have any idea how bigger advantages they have? Both in technology, arsenal  and warfare knowledge and skills

leatherhat said:
brendude13 said:
leatherhat said:

That sounds ridiculous and totally not feasible in this day and age.

I doubt a group of rednecks could topple the American government.

I doubt a group of 3rd world muslims could topple the American millitary. Oh wait.

Your right, russians couldnt beat them, americans/UK certainly didnt beat them

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:
Player1x3 said:
leatherhat said:

And you quite clearly know nothing about history

Bad news!- no matter how well intentioned neither the US Govt or any authority in this country will be able to make a dent in gun sales. Figures relesed last week show 2011 had the highest gun sales ( all types) ever recorded in a single year. The paperwork for the 3 day waiting period is backed up by 2 million applications. No one will ever be able to legislate the sale or use of guns, handguns especially. 80 % of states now have reciprocity in concealed permit carry. So it's here to stay better arm yourself.

Marks said:
Mummelmann said:
Outlawing weapons seems kind of totalitarian but more control and restrictions is certainly needed.

In what way would more restrictions/control help? There are many documented cases where when stricter gun laws are enforced crime/murder rates increase. Nearly all crimes where a gun is used, the gun was obtained illegally. So taking guns away via restrictions just stops honest gun owners/hunters from getting guns but criminals still find ways to get them. 

Yes, restrictions. I don't believe that having a country where everyone and their dog are potentially armed is a very good idea. Why do criminals obtain the guns to commit crimes? Because everyone is armed and they have to. The only other countries where the civilian population are as armed as the US are nations currently at war or in a state of utter and complete anarchy (Somalia, Congo) and this should be a warning sign in and on itself.

I realize you have your views and I have mine, we're from very different cultures. Owning a rifle for hunting or a shotgun for skeet shooting is fine, owning 9 milimeters, 357 revolvers and other weapons simply because you can and because everyone else does is not, in my honest opinion.

Mummelmann said:
Marks said:
Mummelmann said:
Outlawing weapons seems kind of totalitarian but more control and restrictions is certainly needed.

In what way would more restrictions/control help? There are many documented cases where when stricter gun laws are enforced crime/murder rates increase. Nearly all crimes where a gun is used, the gun was obtained illegally. So taking guns away via restrictions just stops honest gun owners/hunters from getting guns but criminals still find ways to get them. 

Yes, restrictions. I don't believe that having a country where everyone and their dog are potentially armed is a very good idea. Why do criminals obtain the guns to commit crimes? Because everyone is armed and they have to. The only other countries where the civilian population are as armed as the US are nations currently at war or in a state of utter and complete anarchy (Somalia, Congo) and this should be a warning sign in and on itself.

I realize you have your views and I have mine, we're from very different cultures. Owning a rifle for hunting or a shotgun for skeet shooting is fine, owning 9 milimeters, 357 revolvers and other weapons simply because you can and because everyone else does is not, in my honest opinion.

Yeah I see what your point is, I love guns but I do realize the world would probably be a better place without them. But since there will always be guns, I think its only fair to let everyone get on the same even playing field by letting anyone get guns. 

Of course we need some restrictions, like convicted felons can't purchase them, and minors can't purchase them without parental supervision...but some of the retarded restrictions need to go. I don't know all the gun laws in the US, but here in Canada we have some really pointless laws. 

For me any properly policed and stable society has no need for personal armament. I have no problem with gun clubs, permit based hunting with guns, etc. or gun ownership with a reason in general but just having guns lying around seems pointless - and if you really need them for protection in your home or while mobile then your society isn't stable enough in terms of policing and civic order.

So I guess I'd like to see less need for guns without actually banning them. I would like to see the linkage of firearms to US citizenship and freedoms removed though.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...