By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should guns be outlawed in America?

I don't own a gun not intend to own one.
However, I am not against owning guns legally.
They just have to go through some sort of responsibility test and get a license for owning one.

I'd like to see personal responsibility making a come back.

Around the Network

Its not about home defense or hunting. Its about making sure the people can always "take care" of the government if they overstep their bounds, which America has apparently forgotten.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

For things like this as well as drug control, abortion, and a host of other issues I simply restate the unofficial motto of libertarians, "it isn't my bussiness, and people can make their own decisions." Merely owning a gun is in no way an initiation of force on another person, and all the statistics in the world will not change that. Thus, I fully support a person's natural right to defend their life/property with firearms.

Also, this is not an ex-post facto justification for my own or another's behavior as I have never owned a gun, and I don't really have any plans to purchase one either. I have never even held or fired a gun either.

leatherhat said:
Its not about home defense or hunting. Its about making sure the people can always "take care" of the government if they overstep their bounds, which America has apparently forgotten.

Perhaps, this was once true, but it is an anachronism. Even armed citizens would stand no chance against the might of the U.S. military. A rebellion of force would simply be crushed by superior force. The only way to "take care" of government is to inform/educate people. An all out assault on the government with the small arms that Americans are permitted to carry would just be a bloodbath for the rebels.

I still believe we should have guns for other reasons though ... basic right to protect one's life/property for instance.

leatherhat said:

Americans are funny. Paranoid and complety freaked out by their government but beeing raped by their corporations and Banks (just think about the subprimes crisis..). Scandinavian countries have strong welfare state and the higher standard of living in the world. Stop beeing afraid of goverment and make it cares about the people it supposes to serve. In the end I would be scared too anyway since United states are barely a democracy ruled by corporate lobbies, mainstream medias and wealthy policians...

Sorry for beeing pessimistic and annoying, it's just how the world make me feel at the moment.

Around the Network
DarthVolod said:
leatherhat said:

Perhaps, this was once true, but it is an anachronism. Even armed citizens would stand no chance against the might of the U.S. military. A rebellion of force would simply be crushed by superior force. The only way to "take care" of government is to inform/educate people. An all out assault on the government with the small arms that Americans are permitted to carry would just be a bloodbath for the rebels.

I still believe we should have guns for other reasons though ... basic right to protect one's life/property for instance.

Just like Iraq right? 

Time for hype

travis said:
leatherhat said:

Americans are funny. Paranoid and complety freaked out by their government but beeing raped by their corporations and Banks (just think about the subprimes crisis..). Scandinavian countries have strong welfare state and the higher standard of living in the world. Stop beeing afraid of goverment and make it cares about the people it supposes to serve. In the end I would be scared too anyway since United states are barely a democracy ruled by corporate lobbies, mainstream medias and wealthy policians...

Sorry for beeing pessimistic and annoying, it's just how the world make me feel at the moment.

The corporations are propped up up by the government. Its a symbiotic relationship. You can't weaken one without weakening the other. 

Time for hype

No:
They give America an incredible militia, which may be needed one day.
There are more guns than people in the US, banning or even restricting guns would just cost way too much.
Criminals would still have guns whereas honest law-abiding citizens that previously owned them wouldn't.
America makes a lot of money from them.

leatherhat said:

You honestly think american people can defeat government controlled US Army? Or did I misunderstood you?

Meh, don't live there, so they can do what they want to be honest...

Personally I do intend to own a gun someday.