By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VgChartz is mistaken. In Spain: Wii>PS3 [thread in Spanish]

I don't see the issue, on the 9th of September the Wii had a higher userbase then the PS3 in Spain according to VGchartz as well. We all know that majority of PS3 sales in Spain came after October and the price drop/40GB.

Around the Network
ioi said:
GFK data, this is I think the most useful:

http://www.foroslot.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=75&t=17895

By September 30th

Wii 244k (184k since March)
PS3 218k
X360 149k (30k since March)

etc - all close enough to vgc figures that I am not going to worry.

So this Nielson article is false, maybe based on polling users rather than measuring actual sales - hence the percentages and no figures.

Those data gave Sony them, and according to they said, removed from gfk. I I have not seen no official report of Gfk, giving those numbers.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_articulo.php?pic=GEN&id=cw470d2db0971ae&idj=&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=1

The only official data that we have, are those of AC Nielsen. And it is a company very respected, his numbers are not false, if they went it would not be to so many webs.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?id=cw43dde46d4b82e&pic=GEN 

It does not seem to me, that the only data well that of VgChartz in Spain, are those that said Sony, when everybody knows that here the Wii is sold much more that the PS3

How was this data collected?

Maybe Ioi should email the company asking for a clarification of their data?

Dont have my keyboard(posting from the PS3 in my other house)but Nintendo contracts Nielsen each year )to do these works with percentages.As they arent tracking data all the year and dont give a single number only percentages its probably through polls as ioi has deduced.Besides this site and Sony always add portuguese numbers that are in favour of the PS3.With the GFK numbers ioi has posted everything is clear...at 9/12 the wii still had some advantage in Spain alone (out four months before)but counting Portugal the PS3 already passed it as they claimed then.Later the price drop and 40GB appeared and the PS3 pushed forward.Wii is selling very well too but hasnt got so much stock and Iam under the impression its sales are more "seasonal".

No offense but you got be kidding me... is it like some certain groups have earned some kind of right to tell what has to be adjusted or something? Hearing it everyday now: The PS3 is over tracked! the 360 is under tracked! Wii is over tracked! the PS3 is under tracked! over and over. Let the VG crew do their job.

Overall, the Wii is doing pretty damn good. Regardless of how it lies in Spain.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
Butter said:
ioi said:
GFK data, this is I think the most useful:

http://www.foroslot.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=75&t=17895

By September 30th

Wii 244k (184k since March)
PS3 218k
X360 149k (30k since March)

etc - all close enough to vgc figures that I am not going to worry.

So this Nielson article is false, maybe based on polling users rather than measuring actual sales - hence the percentages and no figures.

Those data gave Sony them, and according to they said, removed from gfk. I I have not seen no official report of Gfk, giving those numbers.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_articulo.php?pic=GEN&id=cw470d2db0971ae&idj=&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=1

The only official data that we have, are those of AC Nielsen. And it is a company very respected, his numbers are not false, if they went it would not be to so many webs.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?id=cw43dde46d4b82e&pic=GEN 

It does not seem to me, that the only data well that of VgChartz in Spain, are those that said Sony, when everybody knows that here the Wii is sold much more that the PS3

Give it up buddy. Your wrong. Sorry to break your heart, but real tracking numbers say that the PS3 sold more, not the opinion of you and your buddies. VGChartz+gfk vs. AC Nielsen and Forum poster Butter. I think im going with VGchartz on this one.

Butter said:
Played_Out said:
Yuk04 said:
That makes more sense, I know that Spain is the land of the raising Sony but, it is as well a land of not a lot of young people with high incomes.

The Wii it is still considered as an affordable console, contrary to the PS3 image.

---------------------

Fun anecdote:

i went back to Spain for xmas and went to a game shop to buy some games for my family. The clerk shop said something totally unexpected about the 360. We all know that Spain is Sony land and the Wii is selling really well.

Apparently, there's an underground 360 community growing, which of course will not overtake on the sales of this year but, she mention that the core gamers were buying the 360 instead of the PS3 and lots of games with it (the always important attach rate)

Useless to say that this is just an anecdote from a shop on a little city but, to think that a clerk from Game (we all know how they are) would actually say that the 360 was starting to sell to a core audience very loyal in a small Spanish city is really funny.

It felt like I was witnessing the little village from Asterix, resisting against the Sony empire

That would be ironic given that Asterix is a parable about resistance to American cultural imperialism.

Regarding the figures: I don't speak Spanish and had to auto translate, but the figures seem rather confusing as one set of data (AC Nielsen's percentages) is being applied to another (VGChartz number of units sold).

It would also still seem to suggest that the PS3 has been outselling the Wii on a weekly basis, as it is comparing 12 months of Wii sales versus 9 months of PS3 sales (I think). But then it says something about Wii outselling the 360 & PS3 combined in the latter half of the year. Clarification?

Yes...

<<<Wii se convirtió en líder del segmento de consolas de sobremesa de nueva generación sólo 22 semanas después de su lanzamiento (desde el 1 de abril) y es la consola más vendida en 2007. Hoy, Wii suma el 44% del mercado de consolas de sobremesa de nueva generación.>>>

1 April - Wii>360>PS3 (total sales in Spain)

With this, the Wii can be deduced less that tapeworm of 50% of the market. And 6 months later (9 September) , it continues having 44% of the total.

That means that Wii = PS3+360

Anyone know what word this should be?  My spanish consists of the menu at Taco Bell.

Butter is like Diomedes' evil twin or something. :>

DKII said:
Butter is like Diomedes' evil twin or something. :>

xD

Single to want to contribute data that I found, and it seems that they contrast with the Spanish acual situation. Although, in few days they will appear data of official sales in Spain, and we will leave doubts;)

Whilst AC Nielson are a reputable company, they don't track sales in Spain as GfK do. They don't say where they get their data from, so it may actually be from GfK anyway. Now, having said that, this article is from the beginning of September, and we already have hard GfK data which is more recent than this article, so I don't really see much value in 4 month old data when in the mean time we've had price cuts and the holiday period.

I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will release some figures soon for Spain, once the data from the holiday period has come through. I'm expect both of them will have something to shout about. I wouldn't expect to hear much from Microsoft, though.