By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS will hit ~15 million next week, fastest selling system in history by 2 months

BasilZero said:
Galaki said:
BasilZero said:

That IS odd....I mean, the thing is called 3DS and not NDS XD

Thats like someone getting confused between the differences of PS1 and PS2 LOL.

But anyways, maybe that would explain why there's alot of NDS sales still going on, although if its a game they bought than its ok since its backwards compatiable xD!

Not that uncommon parents trying to buy their kids a Mario game for their PlayStations.

Actually that did happen one time when I was working at Frys, a parent came up to me asking how to put Super Mario World on the PSP...although it was possible I didnt explain it to him ;x.

Hahaha oh parents, I also love the kids who say "I wish Pokemon/Mario/Zelda was on (some) HD Twin." It makes me so sad to see what the world has come to XD

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
NintendoPie said:
BasilZero said:
Galaki said:
BasilZero said:

That IS odd....I mean, the thing is called 3DS and not NDS XD

Thats like someone getting confused between the differences of PS1 and PS2 LOL.

But anyways, maybe that would explain why there's alot of NDS sales still going on, although if its a game they bought than its ok since its backwards compatiable xD!

Not that uncommon parents trying to buy their kids a Mario game for their PlayStations.

Actually that did happen one time when I was working at Frys, a parent came up to me asking how to put Super Mario World on the PSP...although it was possible I didnt explain it to him ;x.

Hahaha oh parents, I also love the kids who say "I wish Pokemon/Mario/Zelda was on (some) HD Twin." It makes me so sad to see what the world has come to XD

They should stay with Nintendo for sure :P, man would be horrible if it went multiplatform, look what happened to Sega's Sonic the hedgehog!

+1'000'000'000'000

miz1q2w3e said:
Train wreck said:
In order for the 3DS to match the dollar sales rate of what Nintendo had projected early on (16 million @ 249.99) the current 3DS model will need to sell 23.4 million units this fiscal year, which of course it wont do. That's why the stock is still floundering and will continue to do so. Selling 16 million really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. 3DS sales are not a function of actual demand but a reaction to drastic change in price.

Except what you've calculated here is overall revenue, nothing to do with actual profit. They were making a huge chunk of money on each unit sold at 249, now they might be taking a loss (rumored) or selling it at cost, which means no profit from actual 3DS sales, not matter how many. You're statement is false

You dont even know what your talking about, please dont quote me if you are going to put up such nonsense.  First sentence SALES RATE, sales = revenue, i never mentioned anything about profit.  Rising revenue is important, especially in consumer electronics, because its an indication that your product is finding its way in to stores, which is being purchased by consumers.  In order to calculate or assume anything about profit we will need something on the cost side which we do not have, so I didnt mentioned it.  You assume nintendo was making  a huge profit at 249, but you dont know.   you failed to mention anything about exchange rates, increase advertising, cost of giving away the 10 or 20 games for the ambassador program, you know important COSTS that can affect overall profit.

Great! Myself I'll still hold out a bit longer, because I shouldn't spend too much time on gaming at the moment. But it's good to know that its install base is growing rapidly. Let's hope that the bad start & press didn't have too much of a negative effect on third party willingness to support the platform. Because I'm not sure that Nintendo can keep up the current pace alone. We'll know in a few months.
Right now it is hard to judge where 3DS is standing - we're right after the holidays, launches of Nintendo's 2 biggest IP's within a month, market introduction of 3 attractive bundles and massive advertising.

Slightly off topic, regarding upcoming games: Is someone else slightly disappointed that Luigi's Mansion 2 was sourced out? I try to be open minded, but experience from past generations shows that 2nd party sequels rarely match the level of originality of the originals. Yoshi's Island DS was not half as good as the SNES game.

Train wreck said:

You dont even know what your talking about, please dont quote me if you are going to put up such nonsense.  First sentence SALES RATE, sales = revenue, i never mentioned anything about profit.  Rising revenue is important, especially in consumer electronics, because its an indication that your product is finding its way in to stores, which is being purchased by consumers.  In order to calculate or assume anything about profit we will need something on the cost side which we do not have, so I didnt mentioned it.  You assume nintendo was making  a huge profit at 249, but you dont know.   you failed to mention anything about exchange rates, increase advertising, cost of giving away the 10 or 20 games for the ambassador program, you know important COSTS that can affect overall profit.

My point was that revenue means absolutely nothing if you have no profit to show for it. Just look at Sony and the PS3, big sales and revenues with little to no profit, it was even worse before where they'd actually lose a ton of money on each unit sold. Look what happened to them, lost all their profits from the PS2 days... Now you tell me which is more important

Thankfully, Nintendo isn't losing much on each 3DS, and the increased software sales, market share, and third party support will more than make up for it

Also, what's with that condescending attitude of yours? Calm down

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:
Train wreck said:

My point was that revenue means absolutely nothing if you have no profit to show for it. Just look at Sony and the PS3, big sales and revenues with little to no profit, it was even worse before where they'd actually lose a ton of money on each unit sold. Look what happened to them, lost all their profits from the PS2 days... Now you tell me which is more important

Thankfully, Nintendo isn't losing much on each 3DS, and the increased software sales, market share, and third party support will more than make up for it

Also, what's with that condescending attitude of yours? Calm down

You've been by far the most condescending person in this thread. You chased Carl out of the thread and acted completely pretentious and rude towards him just because he said something you disagreed with (even though it was a positive statement anyways). I've received multiple reports from this thread even though it should have been merely a celebration of a system's success. I am not here to attack you, but the bolded statement was enough to make me step in and say something. 

Train Wreck's post wasn't condescending whatsoever besides saying that he thinks your argument is nonsense. Just letting you know so we can hopefully have a nicer thread here.

Congratulations to the 3DS. It's a great accomplishment and I can't wait for the games coming out this year (Paper Mario please!).

MontanaHatchet said:

You've been by far the most condescending person in this thread. You chased Carl out of the thread and acted completely pretentious and rude towards him just because he said something you disagreed with (even though it was a positive statement anyways). I've received multiple reports from this thread even though it should have been merely a celebration of a system's success. I am not here to attack you, but the bolded statement was enough to make me step in and say something. 

I see your point, I actually don't enjoy posting like this at all. It's just very annoying seeing people try to belittle 3DS's achievement in every single thread on this site.

miz1q2w3e said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I see your point, I actually don't enjoy posting like this at all. It's just very annoying seeing people try to belittle 3DS's achievement in every single thread on this site.

I don't believe Carl was trying to belittle the 3DS at all, although I could see how such a thing would get frustrating. I merely am attempting to foster polite discussion. While I'm as glad for the 3DS's success as anybody, mentioning the Wii in this context is certainly within limits. The thread was discussing a sales milestone of the 3DS, so the Wii (another system known for breaking sales milestones) is very relevant. 

Let's just all try to play nice .

MontanaHatchet said:

I don't believe Carl was trying to belittle the 3DS at all, although I could see how such a thing would get frustrating. I merely am attempting to foster polite discussion. While I'm as glad for the 3DS's success as anybody, mentioning the Wii in this context is certainly within limits. The thread was discussing a sales milestone of the 3DS, so mentioning the Wii (another system known for breaking sales milestones) is certainly relevant. 

Let's just all try to play nice .

I'd much prefer that, actually

Jumpin said:
Icyedge said:
Thats great result, but its nowhere near Wii success.

Actually, it did have greater success than the Wii selling to 15 million, it did it 9 weeks faster.

Goalposts, don't even bother.

Anyway, something slightly positive from the jap. business commentary.  http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/business/news/20111231p2g00m0bu039000c.html

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.