By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS will hit ~15 million next week, fastest selling system in history by 2 months

NotStan said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:
Ah, but I see why. The price has been dramatically lowered, you can now get 3DS for only about 20% more than DS in most stores. Why would you go for DS which is pretty much nearly it's discontinuation when you can 3DS for slightly more that will still be supported for years to come AND has backwards compatibility, it's a great achievement, don't get me wrong. But the price at which it comes is a bit concerning(No pun intended). There is very little room left for maneuvering in the price.

Considering that it is selling at a record breaking pace, I don't think a 3DS price drop is going to occur in the near future. If they were interested in raising the price, they would release a new model which costs 20% more and clear out the old models - similar to what was done with the DS Lite, DSi, and then the DSi XL.

Yes but the 3DS had to reach essentially a mass market price - close to that of DS at the time it was discontinued within the first year of it's release, meaning that it has less room for price cuts in the future, when the sales do slack, remember, we are still in the first year - the handheld is likely to stay on the market for a minimum of 5/6 - or maybe even longer before Nintendo release a successor.

A lot more years to go, with semi low price already, that's what I am trying to say, revisions or not - the price will only go down and not up, so Nintendo has to keep up the R&D to get the production costs down, and continue to do so if they want to maintain sales that can challenge those of DS LTD.

The price will likely stay neutral until the new unit launches. If you follow Nintendo's handheld history, they release updates every 2 years, so my guess is that the next units come in Summer next year (2013), that the old units will drop in price by ~15% and the new ones will come out 10 to 20% higher in price than the current models current price point. There is no reason why they should have to drop the price this year considering it is currently selling at a record breaking pace.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

In order for the 3DS to match the dollar sales rate of what Nintendo had projected early on (16 million @ 249.99) the current 3DS model will need to sell 23.4 million units this fiscal year, which of course it wont do. That's why the stock is still floundering and will continue to do so. Selling 16 million really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. 3DS sales are not a function of actual demand but a reaction to drastic change in price.

Train wreck said:
In order for the 3DS to match the dollar sales rate of what Nintendo had projected early on (16 million @ 249.99) the current 3DS model will need to sell 23.4 million units this fiscal year, which of course it wont do. That's why the stock is still floundering and will continue to do so. Selling 16 million really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. 3DS sales are not a function of actual demand but a reaction to drastic change in price.

Except what you've calculated here is overall revenue, nothing to do with actual profit. They were making a huge chunk of money on each unit sold at 249, now they might be taking a loss (rumored) or selling it at cost, which means no profit from actual 3DS sales, not matter how many. You're statement is false

Train wreck said:

Actually the stock is doing poorly for the same reason Toyota's is. The yen vs the USD.

BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:
Ah, but I see why. The price has been dramatically lowered, you can now get 3DS for only about 20% more than DS in most stores. Why would you go for DS which is pretty much nearly it's discontinuation when you can 3DS for slightly more that will still be supported for years to come AND has backwards compatibility, it's a great achievement, don't get me wrong. But the price at which it comes is a bit concerning(No pun intended). There is very little room left for maneuvering in the price.

Considering that it is selling at a record breaking pace, I don't think a 3DS price drop is going to occur in the near future. If they were interested in raising the price, they would release a new model which costs 20% more and clear out the old models - similar to what was done with the DS Lite, DSi, and then the DSi XL.

I think thats whats going to happen, they'll make a 3DS Lite probably I guess in 2013 or late 2012. (more than likely announce it at TGS 2012). But wouldnt it be crazy if they announce it at E3 2012!?! That is if they manage to sell alot more in a faster pace which I doubt ;x. (They would have to sell like that one prediction someone made for 34 mil XD).

It might be that they'll bring it out with Monster Hunter 4 as the flagship for its launch and follow it up with a new Zelda.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:

I think thats whats going to happen, they'll make a 3DS Lite probably I guess in 2013 or late 2012. (more than likely announce it at TGS 2012). But wouldnt it be crazy if they announce it at E3 2012!?! That is if they manage to sell alot more in a faster pace which I doubt ;x. (They would have to sell like that one prediction someone made for 34 mil XD).

If they announce a re-make that soon then it will be like the price drop all over again: people will be thinking/saying that Nintendo is stooping down a level and making a "better" one because their older one "is not good enough." I don't think Nintendo wants to re-make one. Didn't Reggie say they weren't making a new 3DS model? For at least a long time? Plus, Nintendo has confused the main stream consumer (confused themselves) enough because people get the 3DS and DS line confused with each other, so if they make annother model of 3DS it will confuse them even more.

NintendoPie said:
BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:

If they announce a re-make that soon then it will be like the price drop all over again: people will be thinking/saying that Nintendo is stooping down a level and making a "better" one because their older one "is not good enough." I don't think Nintendo wants to re-make one. Didn't Reggie say they weren't making a new 3DS model? For at least a long time? Plus, Nintendo has confused the main stream consumer (confused themselves) enough because people get the 3DS and DS line confused with each other, so if they make annother model of 3DS it will confuse them even more.

I don't recall anyone saying that when they dropped the price. Nor do I recall anyone saying that when Nintendo launched the GBA Sp 2 years after the GBA, the DS Lite 2 years after the DS, or the DSi 2 years after the DS Lite. Actually, what we did see in each case I mentioned was heavy improvements to sales. So, where is it you are getting your notion of it being a mistake from?

Jumpin said:
NintendoPie said:
BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:

I don't recall anyone saying that when they dropped the price. Nor do I recall anyone saying that when Nintendo launched the GBA Sp 2 years after the GBA, the DS Lite 2 years after the DS, or the DSi 2 years after the DS Lite. Actually, what we did see in each case I mentioned was heavy improvements to sales. So, where is it you are getting your notion of it being a mistake from?

I've heard tons of people saying that. I was never talking about the old re-makes either, I don't know how you haven't seen/heard of people saying that since I've seen it on this site, too. 

BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NintendoPie said:
BasilZero said:
Jumpin said:
NotStan said:

Alot of people I've seen in other forums and people I've talked to irl who are video game fans have said stuff like that lol.

But ya, about the confusing part, I havent heard much about that o.O.

Although if you think about it, it will make sense, I mean, I'm not saying it should be released in 2012 lol, its more realistic to release it in 2013 once enough units have been sold, they will eventually do it, its a trend in which all 1st party developers are doing now a days ;x. But ya 2-3 years span would make more sense than a 1 year span or so.

I hear about main stream consumers being confused about that all the time, especially parents who are buying them for their kids. 0-0 

BasilZero said:

That IS odd....I mean, the thing is called 3DS and not NDS XD

Thats like someone getting confused between the differences of PS1 and PS2 LOL.

But anyways, maybe that would explain why there's alot of NDS sales still going on, although if its a game they bought than its ok since its backwards compatiable xD!

Not that uncommon parents trying to buy their kids a Mario game for their PlayStations.