By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour - Wii U To Have Full Featured App Store

For the entire sanctity of Apps that might be used for viewing programs such as "Sport Events" remember that Nintendo is now strongly partnered with Electronic Arts, and let us not forget that EA is one of the biggest related sports providers for gaming wise, but then again they've published plenty of content/games that were not sport related.  So let's see what the future brings us, but Nintendo isn't unwilling to let third-party developers work with their hardware on things like this.  Opera developed the Internet Browser on the Wii after all, just to name one.

And for whom that mentioned Nintendo is not particularly for non-gaming content:
While that has been very true in the past, it has changed quite a bit recently, and the biggest evidence of this is the Nintendo Video, which is made exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS and for video content only, albeit some of the content was still game related.  Not trying to offend, just making a point.

Who?

Around the Network

Until we start seeing more games, things like this doesn't mean much to me.

Level1Death said:
Until we start seeing more games, things like this doesn't mean much to me.

Typically I'd agree, but consoles nowadays need more then just good online service (which I pray drastically improves with the Wii U) and great games.  A few extra features never hurts right?

Who?

If it's true, it's a Win.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Lucas-Rio said:
JEMC said:
While I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure who would develop the apps for it.

In my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to do it would be to use Android. The benefits would be hundreds of apps already done and compete in the tablets/smartphone games market (something that would please their investors). The downside is that WiiU's controller should come with a, more expensive, multi touch screen (to be able to use the same apps).

Oh, and since Wii already has a web browser, it's easy to assume that WiiU will also have one, and will use the screen to take advantage of it, such as displaying a keyboard.

I don't see Nintendo using a third party OS

Me neither, but it would be the best route.

And, if I'm not mistaken, when you buy/get an Android license you can tweak it to better suit your needs. So even though it would still be a 3rd party software they could give it a "Nintendo touch".

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Think what you will of my statement, but honestly; The Wii U tab (from the released pictures so far) just doesn't look comparable in quality to ANY of the tabs I've seen.

PS3 and Xbox 360 have apps so Wii U will obviously have some too.....
Now an App Store? I doubt that. I mean how many Apps can be that useful on a home console?

JEMC said:
Lucas-Rio said:
JEMC said:
While I'd love something like this, but I'm not sure who would develop the apps for it.

In my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to do it would be to use Android. The benefits would be hundreds of apps already done and compete in the tablets/smartphone games market (something that would please their investors). The downside is that WiiU's controller should come with a, more expensive, multi touch screen (to be able to use the same apps).

Oh, and since Wii already has a web browser, it's easy to assume that WiiU will also have one, and will use the screen to take advantage of it, such as displaying a keyboard.

And, if I'm not mistaken, when you buy/get an Android license you can tweak it to better suit your needs. So even though it would still be a 3rd party software they could give it a "Nintendo touch".

But they would have to pay royalties to google, and would not control their internet marketstore.

As the Wii U will even use a proprietary disc to not use blue ray, they will go with their own OS.

Lucas-Rio said:
JEMC said:
Lucas-Rio said:
JEMC said:

But they would have to pay royalties to google, and would not control their internet marketstore.

As the Wii U will even use a proprietary disc to not use blue ray, they will go with their own OS.

I know, that's why I did agree with you. I'm just saying that if they want to go with apps, they have 2 ways: do it by themselves or join with an already proven solution, being the second one easier.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I would love this if its true.