By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So.....I noticed Vita numbers are not that good this week. Can we talk about it now? (update because of Media Create numbers)

How are Vita's hardware sales doing this week compared to launch week so far? Is it a huge dropoff, or is it still selling decent despite the lagging software sales?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
How are Vita's hardware sales doing this week compared to launch week so far? Is it a huge dropoff, or is it still selling decent despite the lagging software sales?

Dude it's only been two days after launch week... we don't even have solid numbers for it's launch week. 

DarkDesent666 said:
Tridrakious said:
DarkDesent666 said:
Tridrakious said:
3DS has Monster Hunter and is cheaper. No surprise that Vita didn't outsell it last week.

The same situation the 3DS was in before the price drop is now in effect for the Vita.

GAMES SELL SYSTEMS. None of the games released week one were system sellers.

Tales of Innocence R releases in January. That will push Vita hardware. They way I see it the Vita sold over 320k units on the PlayStation name alone and will continue to sell based on the name. Sony needs to get some more Japanese focused games for it to be a powerhouse in the country. Now would be a great time for Level-5 to announce a new White Knight Chronicles game for Vita. There isn't much of an rpg base on the system and they could capitalize on that.

For the Western markets the games are there. Uncharted will push systems, especially in the United States. MotorStorm, Fifa, Madden, Resistance (to an extent) will also push systems. Just announce a new Gran Turismo game and Europe will throw support behind the Vita as well.

Let's not forget the exclusive Call of Duty Vita game.

It is way too early to say that. Vita is only out in a single region, the memory cards are pretty much sold out, 3DS just came out with a monster hunter game and has a major advantage of being out for 10 months of course it sold more. PSV isn't selling badly far from, 3DS sales dropped significantly in the weeks after it's launch, psv has barely been out more then a week and again is selling well. 

It's also the holiday season. But to be completely honest I really question Sony reasoning to launch the Vita this late into the year.

If I was the person who made the launch decisions I would have pushed the system back to February. The software wasn't there and the PSP is still too strong in Japan. They needed to let that system weaken a little bit more.

It already was pushed back and alot of people were counting on the preorders for gifts, and like you said it's the holiday season. Also it's software is pretty good, way better then the 3DSes launch. As far as launch line ups go it's among the best.

The Vita's launch line up was good and 3DS had a terrible launch line up and still sold better than the Vita. Vita was launched in the holidays.

Vita lost to the 3DS in it's launch week. Comparing the launch weeks for both systems, the Vita lost. Vita lost to a system that had terrible games and that wasn't launched in the holiday season. They launched at the same price. Vita lost.

I'm a PlayStation fan. Don't get me wrong Vita has a lot of time left and is in no way doomed. The games are coming. It's just Sony didn't have a strong Japanese focused launch line-up. That's all. I think they should have delayed the system and launched alongside a Tales game.

Tridrakious said:
The Vita's launch line up was good and 3DS had a terrible launch line up and still sold better than the Vita. Vita was launched in the holidays.

Vita lost to the 3DS in it's launch week. Comparing the launch weeks for both systems, the Vita lost. Vita lost to a system that had terrible games and that wasn't launched in the holiday season. They launched at the same price. Vita lost.

I'm a PlayStation fan. Don't get me wrong Vita has a lot of time left and is in no way doomed. The games are coming. It's just Sony didn't have a strong Japanese focused launch line-up. That's all. I think they should have delayed the system and launched alongside a Tales game.

3DS didn't really have any competion though, and Vita sold out of the most popular memory cards within 2 days not to mention the issues which have to be patched. It's really just not a fair comparison right now no matter how you compare, like I said it's way too soon to tell. I don't think delaying the system would have done them any favors, like I said alot of people were counting on it for gifts and they did say they'd release it in 2011 and already delayed plenty. Would it have sold more in those 2 days if they waited probably, ultimately would it benefit them probably not. 

BasilZero said:
Tridrakious said:
DarkDesent666 said:
Tridrakious said:
DarkDesent666 said:
Tridrakious said:
3DS has Monster Hunter and is cheaper. No surprise that Vita didn't outsell it last week.

The same situation the 3DS was in before the price drop is now in effect for the Vita.

GAMES SELL SYSTEMS. None of the games released week one were system sellers.

Tales of Innocence R releases in January. That will push Vita hardware. They way I see it the Vita sold over 320k units on the PlayStation name alone and will continue to sell based on the name. Sony needs to get some more Japanese focused games for it to be a powerhouse in the country. Now would be a great time for Level-5 to announce a new White Knight Chronicles game for Vita. There isn't much of an rpg base on the system and they could capitalize on that.

For the Western markets the games are there. Uncharted will push systems, especially in the United States. MotorStorm, Fifa, Madden, Resistance (to an extent) will also push systems. Just announce a new Gran Turismo game and Europe will throw support behind the Vita as well.

Let's not forget the exclusive Call of Duty Vita game.

It is way too early to say that. Vita is only out in a single region, the memory cards are pretty much sold out, 3DS just came out with a monster hunter game and has a major advantage of being out for 10 months of course it sold more. PSV isn't selling badly far from, 3DS sales dropped significantly in the weeks after it's launch, psv has barely been out more then a week and again is selling well. 

It's also the holiday season. But to be completely honest I really question Sony reasoning to launch the Vita this late into the year.

If I was the person who made the launch decisions I would have pushed the system back to February. The software wasn't there and the PSP is still too strong in Japan. They needed to let that system weaken a little bit more.

It already was pushed back and alot of people were counting on the preorders for gifts, and like you said it's the holiday season. Also it's software is pretty good, way better then the 3DSes launch. As far as launch line ups go it's among the best.

I gotta agree on this as well, at least until Jan which I am guessing is when Tales of Innocence comes out right?

Yep and it would have been a major selling point and since Capcom seems to be in camp Nintendo right now. This would give Sony a little bit of strong faith in Namco.

Sony basically telling Namco we're going to delay our system and launch it alongside your Tales game. Both will help each other out because of the launch hype.

Around the Network

Not a great launch for Vita. But I'm sure Sony is not that stupid, look what have they done with PS3 and PSP. Not a great launch from previous console and handle, but they can handle it.

Being a vita owner here in Japan and by talking to my friends, basically a lot of the titles are cheaper downloadable and thats what a lot of people are doing.. but yeah hardware sales were kinda low. the wifi series is sold out around me (only checked 4-5 non major stores) but the 3g models are still around.

Most people are waiting around for Gravity, which a demo released today and everybody seemed to be pretty happy with.

Uncharted was pretty fun (better than 3) in my opinion, but yeah none of the games are a game that everybody "must have."

I think its weird because they have a lot of titles and everyone has the title they like, rather than everybody like "oh shit mario!" and jumping to go buy it, everybody kinda has their own title they want and they buy that, no big majority.

DarkDesent666 said:
NightDragon83 said:

Dude it's only been two days after launch week... we don't even have solid numbers for it's launch week. 

My bad, I haven't really been keeping up with the Vita's launch... I thought it was already on sale for a full 2 weeks.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Dgc1808 said:
darkknightkryta said:
Ummm, wifi Vita sold out, higher capacity memory cards sold out, digital sales numbers? When Sony says digital sales are bad, then we can start worrying (Which may never happen, and we'll never get digital numbers for games in). Selling almost 400k of 500k shipment isn't bad for hardware numbers.

SONY acutally recently stated that Online sales have exceeded there expectations. Then look at the fact that Online games are actually significantly cheaper than retail and there's over 20 games at launch. We should expect low retail numbers.

meh just PR.  if it did well we would see numbers.  Their was no positive news so they just tried to find something. They could have sold 25 games online and say it did better than they expected....

Just wait for an official skinned vita bundle then everything will be fine.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share