By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - A very interesting take on combat sports (boxing and MMA)

It is kind of interesting to hear this sort of thing, mostly because I am a very longtime kickboxing and MMA fan - although admittedly, largely a casual fan for the past 5 or 6 years - but I had no idea that fighters made so much more in boxing than they do in MMA's top organization. I mean, I think that the pay that MMA fighters get is still fairly good, but it is chicken feed compared to what top boxers seem to get. I think this also makes UFC one of the lowest paying professions in the mainstream athletic world - which is really surprising. I thought champions in the UFC were making 5-10 million a fight, but just a few hundred K?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvDOLGt840

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Nobody knows exactly how much top UFC fighters make. They have their "pay" which does not include a cut of any PPV they might get and other things like that. So we've always had a hard time figuring out exactly what UFC fighters earn.

Also, the big thing with UFC is that they pay their lower fighters better than boxing does. Sure, boxing has a few top dogs who basically earn it all, leaving the up and comer to fight on the cheap. Where as UFC pays a decent pay scale for the mid level fighters.

Its really tough to figure out what UFC fighters make in the long run, but, you have to also consider the fact that just a few short years ago UFC was considered too violent and banned and considered "human cock fighting".

So, for a sport that still has a long ways to go to rise to popularity vs. a sport like boxing that has been around hundreds of years I think they are doing ok. Since UFC... JUST NOW got on free TV, I dont think it could even be considered a mainstream sport right now.

Dana White has a great rebuttal/argument about UFC pay. More or less, the UFC is paying out very well to the boxers in relation to what the sport's earnings are, minus the costs of starting up the league. As per Dana, a LOT of people lost a lot of money in the early years getting the sport established. Just now is UFC becoming profitable and paying back the financiers.

And given that UFC is finally going to be on non-PPV TV for major fights, I expect pay to be a lot more in the future. UFC is becoming my 2nd favorite sport behind college (American) football.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

5 to 10 millions for a fight in UFC??? You were way out. Only a few belt-holders will do that in boxing. Georges St-Pierre (GSP), one the greatest champ in UFC, got to do alot of name branding to make good money.

UFC is far superior to boxing but is there a version of MMA that's even harder and has less rules?

In the past there was something called K2 or something but I think it had stricter rules than UFC.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
UFC is far superior to boxing but is there a version of MMA that's even harder and has less rules?

In the past there was something called K2 or something but I think it had stricter rules than UFC.

They are two completely different sports. One is not superior to the other.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Slimebeast said:

The early UFC contests had less rules and were far more violent. Gerard Gordeau vs. Tuli was 25 seconds of pure epicness. Certainly less polished, but great.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.