By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Fan favorite and who is the greatest soccer(Football) player of all time?

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that Messi isn't even ranked on this list? I'll be honest and say that I don't like Barcelona but Messi..... he's something else, greatest player of all time IMO.

^_^

Around the Network

Gary Bennett

Emile Heskey.

Ryan Giggs is the best!

ghettoglamour said:
Has anyone of you actually seen Pele or Maradona. I don't know why you claim they're the best...I'm not saying the aren't (or weren't), but you're not saying your own opinion but the expert's and analyst's one.

I have seen Maradona - well, good parts of his Italian and international career on TV at least. He was an incredible asshole at times, and he was incredibly brilliant most of the time. He polarized like no other player. One of the few players in football history who was able to lift a mediocre team above the rest in a strong league for a few years (S.S.C. Napoli) and his national team above all others when it matters. I've only seen glimpses of the not so important late years of Pelé (Cosmos NY) and Beckenbauer (Cosmos NY, Hamburger SV), undoubtful two of the best players ever, but not at the time when I saw them on TV.

My ranking of best players of which I've been able to follow most of their club and international careers:
Maradona, Michel Platini, Xavi, Lothar Matthäus, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Marco van Basten.

Lionel Messi is one of the best players I've ever seen and he wins title after title with Barcelona, but as long as he hasn't won a title with his national team, he's Argentina's Johan Cruyff or Zico* - one of the best players of his time, among the best players of all time, national and international club titles and honors galore, but unfortunate with his national team. Messi still has plenty of time though.

*Zico and Sócrates (RIP) are my most favorite Brazilian players ever (of those I've seen when they were active and at the peak of their careers, i.e. not counting Pelé or Garrincha). I still wished the Brazilian team led by those two had won the World Championship 1982.

Around the Network

1. Lionel Messi
2. Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima
3. Maradona
4. Pele

I LOVE GIGGS said:
Ryan Giggs is the best!

Better than all those English guys for sure. Giggs is the best player from UK of the last 3 decades imo.

Eric Cantona

LEGEND

okr said:
I LOVE GIGGS said:
Ryan Giggs is the best!

Better than all those English guys for sure. Giggs is the best player from UK of the last 3 decades imo.

I'm sure Alan Shearer, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Michael Owen and loads more would have something to say about that. But yes giggs is very good and as been a loyal player to my club

Lionel Messi without the shadow of a doubt for me.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.