By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide Sales of Gran Turismo 5 Now Stand At 7.3 Million

http://thesilentchief.com/2011/12/16/worldwide-sales-of-gran-turismo-5-now-stand-at-7-3-million/

didn't see it posted so here ya go.

Polyphony Digital has provided updated sales numbers for Gran Turismo 5.

As of September 2011 the PS3 exclusive racer has sold an additional 1 million copies worldwide bringing total sales to 7.3 million since the game released over a year ago.

Gran Turismo 5 has sold the most in Europe with over 4.5m copies sold, followed by North America with 1.8, and Japan with 630k. The remaining sales were contributed by the rest of Asia. 

Around the Network

well there's a shipped thread.

What has happened to this site. once upon a time the OP would never post an article without making additional comments of their own. Just to be the first to post the news? meh

With that said it is cool that PD has updated these shipment numbers. and still being ahead of other GT games is very impressive. being as others are casting doom and gloom on it

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

spurgeonryan said:
That is not too bad. I would imagine that the game cost a ton of money to make, but 7.3 million should be a good amount. More than enough!

well it took near 5 yr.'s to make so i can't speculate on how much it cost, but if it still cost $59.99 a retail then near 500-$700m

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:
That is not too bad. I would imagine that the game cost a ton of money to make, but 7.3 million should be a good amount. More than enough!

well it took near 5 yr.'s to make so i can't speculate on how much it cost, but if it still cost $59.99 a retail then near 500-$700m

So then if that is true it is not anywhere close to making its money back, and we should not be celebrating this ...right?

Did not the Digital Download expansion sell over a million on the first week of it being on the PS store? I think it has made its money back. Also include GT5: Prologue which is just a demo that everyone payed for. It has made more than enough back. I aint an accountant but how qualified do you need to be to see common sence? 

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:

So then if that is true it is not anywhere close to making its money back, and we should not be celebrating this ...right?

Did not the Digital Download expansion sell over a million on the first week of it being on the PS store? I think it has made its money back. Also include GT5: Prologue which is just a demo that everyone payed for. It has made more than enough back. I aint an accountant but how qualified do you need to be to see common sence? 

i think the demo sold 3m offline, and 2m online. i'm willing to bet GT5 sold more then 2m by download.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:

i wouldn't go that far bud. lets say each yr. cost 50m. if it took 4 yr.'s to make then it cost 200m, but if it took 5 yr.'s then it costs 250m. i'm more then sure it didn't cost that much to make. i'd say $80-$120m.

hey Seece may know.

plus add in the DLC, GT5 demo, and digital sales then it more then made its profit, and covered its overhead cost.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Serious_frusting said:
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
spurgeonryan said:

i think the demo sold 3m offline, and 2m online. i'm willing to bet GT5 sold more then 2m by download.

This site does not track "online" sales. So what ever number VGC has for a title, including GT5 and the prologue are just sold from shops. 

@Army of Darkness picture:

i did not add a load of crap, i just stated facts. Would it also be crap if i said in this "5 year" development cycle that they also made a game for the PSP?

Serious_frusting said:
What has happened to this site. once upon a time the OP would never post an article without making additional comments of their own. Just to be the first to post the news? meh

With that said it is cool that PD has updated these shipment numbers. and still being ahead of other GT games is very impressive. being as others are casting doom and gloom on it

well i don't normally make threads so i could give to shits about posting first. secondly, it's for GT fans so theres no need for me to add any comments unless i'm quoting someone.

why say anything when GT5 has yet to cross 10m? that's my bench mark.

For anybody who thinks the budget for GT5 was even over 100Million dollars,

"Two years after a Dutch newspaper pegged the budget of Killzone 2 at $21 million, Autoweek has revealed that the expansive racing simulator will cost nearly three times that. Speaking to the magazine, Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi said the budget for the game is around $60 million"

The title has made way more than that back, 7.3 million copies, plus DLC and GT5:P.