By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 break 1 million sales globally next week?

Tagged games:

Will PS3 sell over 1 million in the next coming weeks

Yes, but just FFXIII-2 week 13 12.62%

Yes, but only the last week before Christmas 19 18.45%

Yes, both of the next two weeks 18 17.48%

No, sales just need to be boosted by too much 40 38.83%

See Results 13 12.62%

Total:103

I think it will just miss it this week but the week after I think it will do 1 million easy.

Around the Network

Before or after adjustments? ;)

Before probably no - after I think at least for 1 week maybe for both.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'm all for it! I think it can happen, but if not, I'm pulling for 970k.

I'll say somewhere between 960k & 1,100k

naruball said:
Roma said:
does a sequel normally boost sales by much? most people who will buy this game are those who bought the game before it

See that's what I thought too, but take a look at the boost the 360 got because of Gears of War 3.

Was it by much?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Roma said:
does a sequel normally boost sales by much? most people who will buy this game are those who bought the game before it

Sequel? No, but special editions boosts.

Ah did not see your post. I usually post after I read the OP :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Michael-5 said:

If you look back into VGC data, PS3 only surpassed 1 million sales in a week once. It was the week Final Fantasy XIII launched in Japan in 2009. Without a major title released, PS3 has never broke 1 million on its own accord.

The week before FFXIII (Week ending Dec 12th 2009) PS3 sold 735k, and on the week FFXIII released it sold 1,018k.

This year, for the equivalent week, Ps3 is at 700k, which is notably less then it was for 2009. However, in 2010 there was a 29% sales jump (without final fantasy) from the week of Dec 11th to 18th. If Ps3 holds that growth rate, we should expect to see PS3 sales at 910k next week if there wasn't a Final Fantasy XIII-2 release.

So will FFXIII-2 give PS3 that extra 90k push and get it it's second million seller week?

Also for the week ending December 24th, can PS3 break 1 million on it's own? Last year it maxed out at 917k weekly, but this week PS3 sold 5% better then it did for the same week last year. If it holds that figure, then it should do 973k, without Final Fantasy. Can FFXIII-2 help give PS3 that extra 27k on the last week before christmas and give it a second (or third) million selling week?

i remember that, i also remember i was the one to prophesize that along with PS3>360 on BF that year

i said it do it more than once in 09 which by VGCs data it didnt, the problem is NPD shows PS3 at 1,360,000 and to this day after multiple VGC adjustments to those 2 dates, adding up VGCs US numbers by there weekly stats page i get around 1230 then when adding up NA sales for that period via HW table i get 1244 as opposed to 360s NA of 1344 even though its NPD was lower than that of the PS3 for that month.  a slight PS3 adjustment would make a difference as PS3s following week was 999,758

there are many other instances that this occurs when comparing NPD to VGC and at even bigger margins like last years 360 Dec. idk if its my adding thats wrong, VGC sticking with there version of estimated sales, or if the site is still under construction 

as for your question i believe it will not hit or pass 1M next week for the simple fact that i only expect JP HW to be 60-80k and not the 150k -200k that most are saying, with your estimates of global except JP HW boast of 910k and my total JP estimate it would mean it will fail.  for the week following it may have a better chance but i personally believe it wont happen "that week", but could weeks after for both of those weeks once shipments and Dec NPD are revealed.  you also have to remember that last year i believe PS3 had a few deals for those weeks of buy a PS3 get $100 back, at this time we have not seen such ads for those weeks

Play Me

I'm expecting PS3 to at least come very close if it doesn't go over. The week after though it should be even higher (could drop in japan, but PAL/America sales will rise to counter)

Either way a record should be broken this Christmas, as it should be the first time 4 different platforms sell over 1 million in a single week.

nah it will be close...I'd put it somewhere in the 900k range

and they said the market was going down...

And what about all these claims of unemployment rising. Shit, more people are spending money this holiday than anytime the past few years!