By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Grand Theft Auto still relevant?

Tagged games:

First of all, why the hell would anyone preorder a game that's still a year away (at least). The game doesn't even have a concrete release date yet fer cryin out loud.

Hey, maybe I should start a thread asking if Call of Duty is still relevant because nobody has preordered the next game yet, which everyone already knows is coming out next November and is being developed by Treyarch, so there's no need for an official trailer or announcement for that one.

GTAV will be one of the biggest selling games of this generation... the 360 version alone could do as good as Halo 4 all by itself week 1, then factor in PS3, and possible PC / Wii U sales as well (no reason why this game shouldn't be on Wii U), and you're looking at COD-type numbers for its first week of release.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
Halo 4 is almost guaranteed to be released late 2012 and the series has more of a cult following, especially given its a platform exclusive. GTA is split between the PS3 and the 360, so pre-orders will be split between the 2, making them appear even smaller. Also, the game has know known release window, let alone a release date, and the series is also known to get delayed. Closer to the release the pre-oreders will go through the roof, the series is comparable to Call of Duty in terms of popularity. Look at GTA IV, still selling in good numbers over 3 years after its release. Given the larger install base, GTA V could potentially post similar lifetime figures to the Modern Warfare games.

Pretty much this.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

perhaps people are just hesitant after the last one. hopefully they can take some pointers from saints row...but i doubt it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
perhaps people are just hesitant after the last one. hopefully they can take some pointers from saints row...but i doubt it.

You see everytime you open your mouth you're more wrong... hehe

Do you actually believe what you say? do you have any idea how much people like GTA ?   i think it has the potential to outsell COD.

I trust no one, not even myself.

NightDragon83 said:
First of all, why the hell would anyone preorder a game that's still a year away (at least). The game doesn't even have a concrete release date yet fer cryin out loud.

Hey, maybe I should start a thread asking if Call of Duty is still relevant because nobody has preordered the next game yet, which everyone already knows is coming out next November and is being developed by Treyarch, so there's no need for an official trailer or announcement for that one.

GTAV will be one of the biggest selling games of this generation... the 360 version alone could do as good as Halo 4 all by itself week 1, then factor in PS3, and possible PC / Wii U sales as well (no reason why this game shouldn't be on Wii U), and you're looking at COD-type numbers for its first week of release.

Well if GTA V clashes with Halo 4 and COD next year in the holidays than I expect GTA V (Depending on the ratings (90+ and Release data: Q3-Q4) The 360 version and the PS3 version can do Halo 4 sales week one. Let's not forget what GTA SA did when it came out in 2004 in the holidays. 

Around the Network

In one single word: Yes.

But the reason why Halo 4 is so high on the pre-order list whilst GTA V isn't on the list is pretty simple. Halo 4 has gotten so many pre-orders because it's more of a hardcore game so a higher percentage of people who will buy Halo 4 week one will have it pre-ordered than GTA V. Also Halo 4 is the next big Halo in the main Halo story so of course there will be a bunch of die hard Halo fans that will pre-order it right away.

man, i thought you had the answer! well, do yu know?

Yes...ill bet it tops most of Call of Duty's records too...

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

NightDragon83 said:

First of all, why the hell would anyone preorder a game that's still a year away (at least). 
I don't know, why are people pre-ordering Halo 4?

Go do that if you want. But let you answer that question, Call of Duty 2012 isn't on the list because Modern Warfare 3 just came out. COD 2012 hasn't been announced yet. There is no trailer or gameplay yet.(even though we know it will be pretty much the same as previous COD)

GTAV will be one of the biggest selling games of this generation... 
I know. But it seems that for all the hype the trailer/annoucenment generated, its not translating into pre-sales. I myself am looking forward to this game and am interested to see if R* can deliver an innovative multiplayer and co-op experience.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
man, i thought you had the answer! well, do yu know?

I think the Grand Theft Auto franchise has been out of the spotlight for too long. 

I don't think the franchise is as relevant this generation as it was the last. But this is just my opinion.