By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony downgraded to BBB- by Fitch

Sony dropped the ball in multiple divisions, and now they are suffering, big surprise. Sony won't be around by decade's out, some of their brands may exist, but under different companies.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony is a mess. Well actually it is a company with huge potential, but the way it is managed is not good. To me it seems that they don't have a vision at all.

I know people will be mad about this, but the PS3 is a perfect example for this. They do have a strong hardware and a really big brand, but they ruined it in 2 years and are building it up again. MS made it absoultely clear that they want the Xbox 360 to be the center of you living room and with the latest update, with Bing, Netflix, Youtube, MSN, Facebook, ESPN, Twitter, Last.Fm, LoveFilm, Hulu, Zune etc etc they are in a very good position to achieve this.

Sony on the other hand has a machine that can do the same thing, but they are miles behind in this segment. Sure they have their apps and can do the same thing, but overall it is just a not so good experience like "Xbox, youtube!". The Move was an attempt to get casuals, but it was a failure more or less. The point is that Sony has more entertainment in their portfolio than MS, but they are not using it. Heck they do have a big record-label and a movie studio but are not using it in any special way. Look how easy MS made the PC --> WindowsPhone 7 --> Xbox --> Windows Live Messenger products be connected. Sony failed to do so in the past years. PSP, TVs, PS3, VAIO, Sony cell phones could be easily used as a powerhouse and to deliver an overall complete experience.

Look at Apple and the iPad, iPod and iPhone products. Through the cloud it is just perfect for the user. Sony should do something like this as well.

I don't get how a software company, basically new to the entertainment industry gets more content than an entertainment company just with some easy partnerships with content providers.

This is exactly the post I wanted to put up. Howard Stringer is the dumbest leader I've ever seen. Stupid, plain and simple. He's the biggest fucking loser that is in a position of incredible and he fucks it up. It's completely baffling.

The fact that Kaz hasn't replaced his ass right now is beyond stupid as well. Ken Kutaragi should have been where Stringer is now. But that is a completely different arguement right there. Dumbass Stringer.

gamelover2000 said:
Squilliam said:
So now they are at risk of being downgraded to junk status. I don't understand why they cut the price of the PS3 in the context of such losses.

Because the major losses are not related to the PS3.

Neither is BBB a junk status.. it's nothing to be proud of but nowadays credit ratings mean very little.. they were never really relevant for anything but countries

I'm sure the continued lack of profitability of their console platform(s) was a factor in the downgrade. How deep is this hole? 4-6 billion? They certainly could have improved their short term profitability had they not cut the price of the PS3. What I don't really understand is their lack of ability to raise demand without cutting the price since the most directly comparable console seems to be outselling and outprofiting them by a considerable margin at the moment without a price cut.

Tease.

XBL is superior to PSN in almost every aspect, I am so tired to argue about it. Yeah, I used both, Yeah I played on steam and battle.net, Heck I even played SegaNet. XBL is by far the best overall service. And the way MS is pushing these apps and using the Xbox 360 as a media center for the living room is unmatched. I don't know why Sony does not something similar. As I said, there is huge potential in PS3 , PS Vita, Vaio, Cellphones, Smart TVs etc. They just need to use it in a better way.

You know, earning achievements on Windows phone 7, cloud storage, Chat with Kinect with somebody on a PC using Windows Live Messenger, call someone from the Xbox 360 using skype, watch Zune movies on the PC, Xbox or the phone, share your photos on all 3 screens is easily possible and happening every day. The UI is soooo easy to use and Kinect makes it even easier. Sony is far behind in all these categories. This is no trolling, this is basically a fact.

I agree and i have a PS3!

Does anyone have an actual breakdown of where the bleeding is coming from?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
chocoloco said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony is a mess. Well actually it is a company with huge potential, but the way it is managed is not good. To me it seems that they don't have a vision at all.

I know people will be mad about this, but the PS3 is a perfect example for this. They do have a strong hardware and a really big brand, but they ruined it in 2 years and are building it up again. MS made it absoultely clear that they want the Xbox 360 to be the center of you living room and with the latest update, with Bing, Netflix, Youtube, MSN, Facebook, ESPN, Twitter, Last.Fm, LoveFilm, Hulu, Zune etc etc they are in a very good position to achieve this.

Sony on the other hand has a machine that can do the same thing, but they are miles behind in this segment. Sure they have their apps and can do the same thing, but overall it is just a not so good experience like "Xbox, youtube!". The Move was an attempt to get casuals, but it was a failure more or less. The point is that Sony has more entertainment in their portfolio than MS, but they are not using it. Heck they do have a big record-label and a movie studio but are not using it in any special way. Look how easy MS made the PC --> WindowsPhone 7 --> Xbox --> Windows Live Messenger products be connected. Sony failed to do so in the past years. PSP, TVs, PS3, VAIO, Sony cell phones could be easily used as a powerhouse and to deliver an overall complete experience.

Look at Apple and the iPad, iPod and iPhone products. Through the cloud it is just perfect for the user. Sony should do something like this as well.

I don't get how a software company, basically new to the entertainment industry gets more content than an entertainment company just with some easy partnerships with content providers.

I wish you would go back to not posting because unless you own a 360, PS3 and a wii your opinion is overly biased. Especially about the ludicrous idea that the 360 has so many more great services than the PS3, more like it is a place to go to get advertisements shoved down your throat. But dont get me wrong it does have good services, a few more arcade games and some good exclusives, but quite frankly it is in no way superior to what Sony offers. They are relitively equal. 

why so sensitive?

XBL is superior to PSN in almost every aspect, I am so tired to argue about it. Yeah, I used both, Yeah I played on steam and battle.net, Heck I even played SegaNet. XBL is by far the best overall service. And the way MS is pushing these apps and using the Xbox 360 as a media center for the living room is unmatched. I don't know why Sony does not something similar. As I said, there is huge potential in PS3 , PS Vita, Vaio, Cellphones, Smart TVs etc. They just need to use it in a better way.

You know, earning achievements on Windows phone 7, cloud storage, Chat with Kinect with somebody on a PC using Windows Live Messenger, call someone from the Xbox 360 using skype, watch Zune movies on the PC, Xbox or the phone, share your photos on all 3 screens is easily possible and happening every day. The UI is soooo easy to use and Kinect makes it even easier. Sony is far behind in all these categories. This is no trolling, this is basically a fact.

Chocoloco, if you read this I just have to say that I pretty much agree with what DirtyP is saying.

If you list all the features of XBL and PSN side by side than it looks like a toss up, in fact PSN may actually come ahead due to the the free factor. But when you actually see both experiences side to side then many would most likely agree that XBL would win simply because of the incredible user interface and how everything ties together so perfectly and so effortlessly. Now for a hardcore gamer/tech guy the PS3's interface and not so friendly UI isn't a problem and if you like the Sony exclusives the PS3 is obviously the way to go. But for the general public and people who like the simplicity of the 360, that's the way to go. Even with the $60 a year charge.

I'll give an example: My Aunt wanted a console to play Netflix maybe play a few motion games (wii/move/kinect) but she also wanted a blu-ray player. So I let her know that for her the PS3 player would be probably the best choice for her being it had blu-ray, free online and some Wii like games but in HD. And she was all fine with that until you saw the UI for the PS3 (she had already seen the one the 360). I even told her that if she got a 360 that wouldn't have blu-ray and if she wanted to watch Netflix on it that she would have to pay $60 a year. But she said $60 a year wasn't a big deal at all and that she liked the UI on the 360 much better so that is what she wanted. So basically she was willing to end up paying more to have a 360 and a seperate blu-ray player just because the UI on the 360 was that much better looking/easier to use.

Sony really isn't tapping into their potential very well at all and they need to fire the current decision makers and get people who know how to run a business in the Black whilst also appealing to customers because currently that is not happening (the running a business in the black).

yo_john117 said:

Sony really isn't tapping into their potential very well at all

It takes 10 years to realize its potentials :)

yo_john117 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
chocoloco said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I wish you would go back to not posting because unless you own a 360, PS3 and a wii your opinion is overly biased. Especially about the ludicrous idea that the 360 has so many more great services than the PS3, more like it is a place to go to get advertisements shoved down your throat. But dont get me wrong it does have good services, a few more arcade games and some good exclusives, but quite frankly it is in no way superior to what Sony offers. They are relitively equal. 

why so sensitive?

Chocoloco, if you read this I just have to say that I pretty much agree with what DirtyP is saying.

If you list all the features of XBL and PSN side by side than it looks like a toss up, in fact PSN may actually come ahead due to the the free factor. But when you actually see both experiences side to side then many would most likely agree that XBL would win simply because of the incredible user interface and how everything ties together so perfectly and so effortlessly. Now for a hardcore gamer/tech guy the PS3's interface and not so friendly UI isn't a problem and if you like the Sony exclusives the PS3 is obviously the way to go. But for the general public and people who like the simplicity of the 360, that's the way to go. Even with the $60 a year charge.

I'll give an example: My Aunt wanted a console to play Netflix maybe play a few motion games (wii/move/kinect) but she also wanted a blu-ray player. So I let her know that for her the PS3 player would be probably the best choice for her being it had blu-ray, free online and some Wii like games but in HD. And she was all fine with that until you saw the UI for the PS3 (she had already seen the one the 360). I even told her that if she got a 360 that wouldn't have blu-ray and if she wanted to watch Netflix on it that she would have to pay $60 a year. But she said $60 a year wasn't a big deal at all and that she liked the UI on the 360 much better so that is what she wanted. So basically she was willing to end up paying more to have a 360 and a seperate blu-ray player just because the UI on the 360 was that much better looking/easier to use.

Sony really isn't tapping into their potential very well at all and they need to fire the current decision makers and get people who know how to run a business in the Black whilst also appealing to customers because currently that is not happening (the running a business in the black).

Howard Stringer needs to be removed. Same thing with Jack Tretton. Kaz Hirai is brilliant and he promoted Andrew House to the top spot of the PlayStation division and House is cleaning house. 

DirtyP2002 said:

This. Lack of vision. A problem attributed to the people at the very top of the organisation.

Nintendo is doomed