By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS surpasses 10M WW

Tagged games:

Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:
Haha, some idiot actually reported me. I was answering Trucks question! Kinect did it in 31, 3DS 41, don't get your knickers in a twist.

He didn't do it right? I assumed he was joking.

Wasn't trucks ^^ (wasn't told who before that person freaks out ) I wasn't trolling though, Kinect is a game system-ish and did it faster! I do wonder how fast it would have taken 3DS without the radical cut, not too long after due to christmas I imagin.

Yeah you can get it for like £60 cheaper than I spent but I will be getting 10 free GBA games while the peopel who got it cheap wont.  No I didn't think you were trolling as you were saying it in a joking way and i just about took it :).

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:
Haha, some idiot actually reported me. I was answering Trucks question! Kinect did it in 31, 3DS 41, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Wasn't trucks ^^ (wasn't told who before that person freaks out ) I wasn't trolling though, Kinect is a game system-ish and did it faster! I do wonder how fast it would have taken 3DS without the radical cut, not too long after due to christmas I imagin.

Yeah you can get it for like £60 cheaper than I spent but I will be getting 10 free GBA games while the peopel who got it cheap wont.  No I didn't think you were trolling as you were saying it in a joking way and i just about took it :).

LOL but won't those 10 free GBA games come to less than £60? (I would hope so 0_o) so they could get those still and save some pocket! I think Ninty should have offered a free 3DS game from the launch line up.

NintendoPie said:
Nintendogamer said:
Pineapple said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Does anybody know how this compares with other gaming devices? I'm especially interested to know about how many weeks it took for the DS, PSP, Wii and GameGear to cross the 10m mark.

This is one of the things that have just become harder and harder to compare lately. Back in '08, we had graphs comparing it built into the site. Then they were removed, but we could do it rather easily through the yearly pages combined with the hardware table. Now the yearly page is gone too, so we're stuck with finding which week it passed the milestone through the weekly pages and then finding out the amount of weeks it took. We don't even have the pop-up bar to scroll quickly between the weeks, but have to enter a completely different page now.

Other stuff has improved on VGChartz, but this is one of the things I really miss.

Luckily, though, I have the data from an old thread I made years ago, on my old account even.I only have the dates, though, so I'll have to calculate the amount of weeks. Those might be a week or two off. Of current generation machines, this is the score:

1.   The Wii passed 10 million on the 28th of July 2007. It had been out for 36 in North America, 33 in Japan and 32 in Europe. 

2. The 3DS passed 10 million after 36 weeks in Europe/North America and 40 weeks in Japan.

3. The PsP passed 10 million on the week ending 31st December 2005. It had been out for 55 weeks in Japan, 40 weeks in North America and 17 weeks in Europe.

4. The DS passed 10 million on the 10th December 2005. At this point it had been out for 55 weeks in North America, 53 in Japan and 35 weeks in Europe.

5. The Ps3 passed 10 million on the week ending 2nd February 2008. It took 68 weeks in North America, 67 in Japan and 45 in Europe.

6. The X360 passed 10 million on the 26th of May 2007. It took around 77 weeks in North America, 77 in Japan and 75 in Europe.

So the 3DS is in second spot of machines launched since the 7th generation started. We have no idea for machines predating that. Well, I suppose we could use shipments, but that would be even more of a hassle.

Or to summarise the above:

The Wii took 34 weeks, the 3DS took 38 weeks, the PsP took a bit over 40 weeks, the DS took 50 weeks, the Ps3 took 60 weeks and the X360 took 75 weeks.

3 months sooner than DS, epic!

Awesome! Pfft, Nintendo said the 3DS wasn't doing well! Well actually everyone did... ;)

They'll soon change their tune once Q4 results are out. they'll be saying price cut was a life save for it.

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:

Then how do you know it wasn't me?

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take Kinect to reach 10m sold?

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Thanks a lot for all that (although you didn't give me the GameGear data ).

The sad thing is even though it's the second fastest to 10m, I'm sure the idea that it flopped will stick around.

No, all eyes will be on the PS Vita in the coming months. It's bound to struggle (expensive, no games etc.) while the 3DS will continue to put up good numbers.

How nice of Sony to help make Nintendo's handheld look better!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:

Then how do you know it wasn't me?

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take Kinect to reach 10m sold?

31~ weeks so faster than all the consoles Pineapple listed.

Comparing 1st FY is more fair though, Kinect probably shipped 12.5m~ in its first full year whilst 3DS is aiming for 16 mill.

Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:

LOL but won't those 10 free GBA games come to less than £60? (I would hope so 0_o) so they could get those still and save some pocket! I think Ninty should have offered a free 3DS game from the launch line up.

Back in the day no but Metroid fusion and minish cap is pretty much worth £60 back in the day, it's better than not giving anythign out, wouldn't they have lost even more money if they gave away 3DS games?

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Seece said:

Well I guess some people just can't take you seriously when you're talking about Kinect positively.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Seece said:

Well I guess some people just can't take you seriously when you're talking about Kinect positively.

It beat them all, not sure what's not to take positively.

Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:

Back in the day no but Metroid fusion and minish cap is pretty much worth £60 back in the day, it's better than not giving anythign out, wouldn't they have lost even more money if they gave away 3DS games?

I think you guys get 10 NES games as well :p